Bet you don't have this tool

Old November 2nd 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Default Bet you don't have this tool

Carl Fogel wrote:

I still can't think of anything on a bicycle that I'd whack with a
Lilliputian 4-inch hammer.

I wondered about that too. Maybe butterfly nuts?
Old November 2nd 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 11:54:55 -0800 (PST), Chalo
wrote:

Carl Fogel wrote:

I still can't think of anything on a bicycle that I'd whack with a
Lilliputian 4-inch hammer.

I wondered about that too. Maybe butterfly nuts?

Dear Chalo,

I'm baffled, but butterfly nuts seem unlikely for three reasons.

First, the tool is circa 1895, which I think is earlier than the use
of giant wing nuts for fast tire changes. (But I may be wrong about
that.)

Second, the tool is from Cleveland, which makes it a US tool. Again, I
may be wrong, but I think of butterfly nuts on axles as European. I
can't remember seeing any butterfly nuts on ancient US bikes.

Finally, the tool would be silly. If a butterfly nut resisted my
entreaties, I'd just use my heel to turn it. If I couldn't turn the
nut by pushing on one wing with my foot, I doubt that anything would
happen if I tapped it with a 4-inch hammer.

Maybe some old tire valve had some tiny piece that just barely stuck
out and often needed a smart rap on the head?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 2nd 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

wrote in message

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...ction=&lang=En
or http://tinyurl.com/57lb89

Sometimes light weight defeats the purpose.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Remember, in those days, mechanics were also referred to as engineers!

When all else fails - get a bigger hammer!

Chas.

Old November 3rd 08, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
wrote:

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...ction=&lang=En
or http://tinyurl.com/57lb89

Colonel Mustard in the kitchen.

--
Michael Press

MTB tool kit buying suggestions - ST-14 vs ST-21and general tool suggestions [email protected] General 6 October 8th 07 04:32 AM
Tool Tom Carson Mountain Biking 0 October 6th 06 06:50 PM
What tool do they use? Derk Techniques 50 January 9th 05 05:53 PM
WTB: Odd BB Tool Guy F. Anderson Sr. Marketplace 4 July 9th 04 07:52 PM
FS: Park Tool Brake Third Hand Tool, $5 shipped Rob Barnes Marketplace 1 June 11th 04 03:11 AM