Lower level Campy stuff.

Old April 29th 21, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Lower level Campy stuff.

I bought a new Campy Centaur crank that is like a Shimano with a single axle that goes all the way through the BB and is locked into the other crank arm with a couple of lock screws after you've tensioned it with an end cap. While the Record cranks and the modern Centaur use that silly (but superlight) Ultra Torque setup, The older Centaur is both easily available and fairly cheap unless you want a compact crank. A couple of years ago I had a bike with a 39/52 and a 13/25 cassette. I took this on one of my climbing rides without thinking about it until I hit the climb. And it really didn't make a lot of difference. And that was a steel frameset bike. So I will redo my experiment with that gearing though a wider ratio cassette and see how that works on the titanium bike.

I happen to have a standard front derailleur so that isn't a problem and I have enough good Campy parts to build it up pretty rapidly. I need to put some new tires on a set of carbon clinchers that I have - those were my original carbon wheels and they are still in very good condition. With the probable loss of Office of Gavin Loathsome and a new Republican governor removing all of these silly limitations I will be back to doing the longer rides with more climbing. Though I will admit that those rides have less steep stuff than what I've been doing.

After that ride on Tuesday my legs are still too tired to do another of those so i will do a flat 25 miler today. And I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon to do another try to remove that ganglion cyst. He said it might require two or three tries. The one on my middle finger went away though it did leave a hard spot where i suppose the liner of that thing remains. It just leaves me with the ability to give Scharf a super hard finger.
Old April 29th 21, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/29/2021 10:51 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Power Torque? On purpose? I would not have suggested it.
UT is just better all around.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 29th 21, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8:57:38 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It sort of sounds right that Campy is made in two halves that meet in the middle but Shimano has no problems with their own method of crank attachmet.