Douglas Titanium

Old May 1st 21, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Douglas Titanium

That came in yesterday and I put wheels and pulled the crappy seat post and saddle and put on then on my bench in the most unlikely place I discovered a Record medium arm rear derailleur. That installed. The Chinese rear wheel has a bad bearing in it so that will have to be replaced. Timken bearings will not wear out. Installed the Record skeleton brakes. Waiting for the front derailleur to appear in the mail. The integrated bars are maybe a little better than the one's I had been buying. The Record levers will go on it this afternoon. I have to clean and wax the chain for this thing. My new ultrasonic cleaner doesn't have the loose tub that the other one suffered from but I will keep an eye on it in case it's a case of the ultrasound working it loose from its connection.

As well as this being the correct size for me, the top tube appears to have been hydroformed which I didn't think that LiteSpeed did. This bike will actually be a little heavier than my Douglas aluminum 58 cm bike. I have to replace the cranks on the Eddy Merckx and I have the Campy cups here and I think that I also have the bearings but I have to wait for the circlip that holds the power side bearing in place. I also ordered British threaded cups for the Douglas Titanium and CT cranks. The world is going to be a lot roomier if I can sell off the two other top end bikes I have.

And I will have enough spares that I won't have to worry about finding anything important. Maybe it would be smart to get a new SuperTeam rear wheel since the hubs are so much better than the one I have.
Old May 1st 21, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 7:44:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

BTW, the Douglas Ti bike was not built by Litespeed. It was built by Titanium Sports Technologies in Washington state, which is no longer in the bicycle business.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 1st 21, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/1/2021 10:44 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
That came in yesterday and I put wheels and pulled the crappy seat post and saddle and put on then on my bench in the most unlikely place I discovered a Record medium arm rear derailleur....

And I will have enough spares that I won't have to worry about finding anything important.

Can I make a serious suggestion?

You've repeatedly told us about forgetting where you put components, or
(as above) finding fairly expensive components in unlikely places. You
should fix that.

I'm sure you have way more stuff lying around than I do, but mine sounds
like it's better sorted. I've got a set of shelves with a bunch of
cardboard containers, labeled "Pedals" & "Derailleurs" & "Brakes" etc.
etc. There are also two large wooden boxes with miscellaneous or weird
stuff - water bottle cages, locks, saddles, a squeeze-bulb horn for a
kid's bike, etc. Also, I have a small cabinet with little plastic
drawers marked "Crankset fasteners" and "Pump parts" and "Bike small
misc." and more.

It might be a satisfying project for you to sort everything you own and
get it all organized. It might even pay off monetarily, preventing
paying for duplicate parts.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 1st 21, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:01:51 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that information. The bike is slightly heavier than you would expect but it will only be about a half lb heavier than the Douglas Vector which is 0.1 lb.s lighter than the 2018 Trek Emonda was.
Old May 1st 21, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 12:10:05 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

All in good time Frank. Before I can get stuff put in its place I have to get rid of three bikes.