Douglas Titanium.

Old May 2nd 21, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default Douglas Titanium.

This bike isn't particularly light. The Douglas Vector is probably a lb lighter than the Ti bike will be when finished. I have mostly Record parts for the Ti but some components simply aren't available anymore unless you're willing to pay 4 or 5 times their original cost. A Record Front Derailleur used to be the cheapest thing you could buy. No they can hardly be found. I do have a Chorus on the shelf but it is a braze-on and I learned my lesson with the Madone. the braze-on has to have the perfect distance from the downtube or the front derailleur cannot be silenced.

So I bought a Centaur which is the third level down from Record. Though interestingly enough the derailleur says "standard or CT" which gives me the idea that I will put it on the Eddy Merckx along with a standard Centaur carbon crank. which is a 39-52. Then I can move the Chorus CT front derailleur on the Eddy over to the Ti which will have a compact Centaur crank. The Record UltraDrive cranks are lighter than the Centaur UltraTorque cranks but the difference is small. And the only way to get a Record CT crank is to get a new old stock one for $500+. The Centaur CT was $179 and the standard was only $79 and these were new old stock.

One of the things that is bothersome with Craigslist is that there is now so much junk on it that you have to rely on luck for the right person to see your bikes. The Felt had three emails the first day but two of them were probably from the same person and it was some sort of check scam he was trying to pull. The third guy disappeared into the multiverse along with Iron Man. Too bad, he could have become Aluminum Man.

With heavy wheels and other things, the Lemond weighs 20 lbs even. So I guess a weight weenie could get it down to 18 lbs with a little effort. So that is actually a really good deal with Dura Ace Di2. So I have to continue to play the odds until the correct person sees the bike. I would expect the Felt and the Lemond to fly out of here. One of the group was retiring and put his Lemond Zurich on Craigslist and it was sold in the first hour.