R.B.T Mt Shasta Ride

Old May 1st 21, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default R.B.T Mt Shasta Ride

On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:59:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/30/2021 9:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Explain how you can keep the front wheel on a road bike down on a 30% grade? It takes a VERY low gear to climb that and there is NO way of keeping the front wheel down on a road bike.

sigh Wrong again, Tom.

(Perhaps) the steepest paved street in the world is Canton Ave. in
Pittsburgh, at 37%. (Some claim it's merely in second place, but no matter.)

Here's video of the annual Dirty Dozen race in Pittsburgh. Watch them
climb Canton Avenue:

https://youtu.be/NWXNvuCAxrU?t=6

Frank, no one is arguing that you can't climb a paved road. On such, you can stand up over the front wheel because you have almost unlimited traction. Weren't we talking about gravel/MTB type of trails where the traction can be almost non-existent to way more than you want? Or maybe I've just lost my own thread? I was saying "road bike" not because it was a bike used on the road but a road bike type of gravel bike without no suspension so that the front wheel has only the weight of the light fork.
Old May 1st 21, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Off road unless it’s very tame you’ll either loose traction or ability to
climb, since off road tends to be more technical, and energy sapping, hence
MTB tend to do better at on the steeper/technical stuff as you can be less
fussy with line choice, and less likely to stall hitting roots and what
not.

I suspect that maintaining grip which means either sitting on the saddle or
hovering over it, would limit most off road climbs to 15/20% or Thereabouts
clearly be some fire road climbs or stuff closer to a road that would be
easier to a) ride up b) grip, so a max gradient closer to what you’d manage
on tarmac but that’s a lot of variables!

I have a *climb* in summer that is a difficult to clear as it’s thick sand,
it can’t be more than 3% if that but due to the sand it’s a hard slog, and
not always doable in winter the sand is wetter so it’s easier.

Roger Merriman.

Old May 1st 21, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/1/2021 10:16 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, April 30, 2021 at 7:59:29 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/30/2021 9:17 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
Explain how you can keep the front wheel on a road bike down on a 30% grade? It takes a VERY low gear to climb that and there is NO way of keeping the front wheel down on a road bike.

sigh Wrong again, Tom.

(Perhaps) the steepest paved street in the world is Canton Ave. in
Pittsburgh, at 37%. (Some claim it's merely in second place, but no matter.)

Here's video of the annual Dirty Dozen race in Pittsburgh. Watch them
climb Canton Avenue:

https://youtu.be/NWXNvuCAxrU?t=6

Frank, no one is arguing that you can't climb a paved road.

_Someone_ was saying "Explain how you can keep the front wheel on a road
bike down on a 30% grade? ... there is NO way of keeping the front wheel
down on a road bike."

The video proves that guy was wrong. But that guy will NEVER say "OK, I
was wrong." Instead he tries to deflect. What's wrong with that guy?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 2nd 21, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 8:10:59 AM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I had a Trek HiFi full suspension bike and the front end was heavy, the gearing was low and I could ride up things I couldn't even think of doing on a cyclocross/gravel bike, Though you could get used to running up the steepest parts and you could drop a full suspension MTB and if it was stuck in a rut. But MAN, the gravel bike would crash every other day and I always had bandages on me. I don't believe I ever crashed on the full suspension. In fact, on heavy rain ruts you could just ride through them as if they weren't even there.
Old May 2nd 21, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 9:28:30 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I'm supposed to say I was wrong after you change the entire subject of discussion. Frank, we have watched you do these things forever now. Remember "You didn't hit your head"? Remember, the American medical system is third rate followed by your explanation that you have complete coverage and have no worries about medical care? Are you even aware that you do these things?
Old May 2nd 21, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/1/2021 7:18 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I didn't change the subject. I addressed exactly what you said.

You said there was no way to keep a road bike's front wheel down on a
30% grade. I showed a video of guys doing that on an even steeper grade.

Sheesh. Take notes!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 2nd 21, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Saturday, May 1, 2021 at 5:08:04 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

So, I'm correct, you're too stupid to even know what you're doing. No surprise I suppose.
Old May 2nd 21, 03:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Some of the 650b Gravel bikes have near or actual MTB tires ie 1.9/2.1
which would ride though ruts and what not, better not quite point and shoot
as a full suspension MTB. But much closer to the XC MTB of old, arguably
better in some way ie better brakes!

I rarely crash, generally able to foot out save it.

Roger Merriman.