A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mileage for the year

Old May 6th 21, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Mileage for the year

I can hardly believe that my mileage and climbing are so low this year.

I have 1,000 miles and only 20,000 feet of climbing. I would normally have twice that mileage and four times that climbing. Add to this that yesterday I drove down to get some stems from a man off of Craigslist and I was at the top of some stairs and as I was descending I lost track of the steps in my bifocals, missed the next step and fell down the stairs. This pulled the ligament in the back of my left knee so I can only ride flat rides until that heals.

The questions is, what flat rides to chose? The normal one is 23 miles with a lot of traffic whereas another is 32 miles and it is mostly on back roads with little traffic. But it has several dangerous crossing without lights and a lot of illegals driving very large pickup trucks to the jobs who don't believe that bicycles should be on the roads.

There is another route but it has some pretty heavy climbing on it and I would rather not delay my healing process by pulling on that ligament. And tests have shown that flat rides can build fitness as rapidly as climbing rides. Though I have large questions about that.

China has now decided to copy the Campagnolo Bora wheels with aluminum braking surfaces so I ordered a set. I ordered a flat black logo set but that somehow turned into a bright green logo. Oh well. I sent them a message but whatever shows up shows up. What is important is the aluminum braking surface. I haven't worn one of the carbon sets out yet but I don't know the effects of that surface wearing out. Carbon wheels have bad braking and there are a couple of places where I do a steep descent to a stop sign and the carbon wheels may or may not stop me at the bottom and if it is clear I always run the sign to take no chances of excessive wear.

I have bought aluminum wheels which stop well but many of them are pretty light promise to wear rapidly. Plus I prefer a deep wheel which is much stronger for a 180 lber. The American manufacturers have concentrated on making very light aero wheels and I have seen those fail. The only failures I've had with the Chinese wheels is that when I was running tubeless, it was far too easy to overinflate them when trying to get them to seat properly and that would cause delamination of the sidewalls. Running as clinchers with tubes I have had no problems. Also the clinchers are FAR easier to mount than tubeless rims and tires.

So hopefully I will get the best of both worlds without the cost of a Campagnolo Bora.
Ads
Old May 6th 21, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]
external usenet poster

Op donderdag 6 mei 2021 om 17:46:35 UTC+2 schreef :

That is easy you spend too much time behind your computer.

Lou
Old May 6th 21, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 10:00:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op donderdag 6 mei 2021 om 17:46:35 UTC+2 schreef :

That is easy you spend too much time behind your computer.

How long are your rides Lou? I normally do 25 miles and 1700 feet of climbing in 2 hours. Since there is nowhere to stop with the coffee shops all but closed down, 25 miles is a good ride. Because of my slight leg injury until that heals I will be doing 25 miles flat in about the same time since it is all on bike paths that have a lot of traffic on them. After this lockdown ends I'll be back to 37-50 miles in 5 hours with a stop. Do you think that somehow prevent people from posting or somehow riding 4 days a week?