Rear Derailleur

Old May 15th 21, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Rear Derailleur

On Fri, 14 May 2021 22:52:41 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 14 May 2021 10:58:24 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

I'll just sit here and allow you to make a fool of yourself
telling us all that "metals are normally crystalline" as of
any person wouldn't know differently.

Frank is correct. Common iron plus carbon steels used in bicycles are
all crystalline.
http://www.phase-trans.msm.cam.ac.uk...ucture/SM.html
In Fig 1, "Crystal structures of austenite, ferrite and cementite..."
note that all the structures shown are crystalline.

However, there are exceptions. Some amorphous compositions of steel,
which are best distinguished by their lack to strength, and which are
not commonly used in bicycle construction.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_metal
"Most metals are crystalline in their solid state, which means they
have a highly ordered arrangement of atoms. Amorphous metals are
non-crystalline, and have a glass-like structure."
Rapidly cooled and therefore porous steel slag is an example of
amorphous steel. The slag is cooled far too rapidly for the steel to
form a crystalline structure.

Even your "point and shoot" camera shot of that chain link failure
shows only normal fracture from overload from the rivet connection
failing.

There's no such thing as a crystalline fracture of steel. There is
only brittle or ductile fractures. For a rod (rivet), brittle looks
rough, like the end has crumbled, with no rivet stretching or necking.
Ductile look like the rivet rod has stretched (necked) with fairly
smooth ends.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fracture
Fractures (brittle) follow grain boundaries, usually between carbon
particles. High carbon steel has 0.3 to 1.0% carbon, which makes the
steel strong, but also brittle because of the relatively high carbon
content. Cast iron, which has more than 2% steel, has even more
carbon grain boundaries and therefore breaks easily when deformed.

Impress us some more. Tell us how the keels of the greatest ships
ever built were carried by three men on their shoulders. Or maybe
you want to tell us the Pyramids were built using large diesel trucks.

Methinks I understand what you're doing. You want attention. I find
it rather odd that all of your "explanations" include at least one
major error. Even the dumbest expert usually gets at least some
things right, even if by accident. The easiest way for you to get
attention is to post erroneous garbage, and then have those with an
understanding of the topic make corrections. When you are cornered,
but want more attention, you either start an argument, or change the
subject to something controversial. That's why you post something
wrong or worthless to literally every thread in this newsgroup. Even
if you didn't have anything useful to add, you always manage to add
some kind of comment. Do you really crave attention that much that
you find it necessary to pollute R.B.T. with your garbage? What will
you do when someone agrees with you?

Perhaps a simple explanation:

Narcissistic personality disorder — A mental condition in which people
have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for
excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack
of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies
a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism and
frequently respond to what they perceive as criticism with insults and
threats of physical assault.

I might as well become part of the problem.

Please tell us that the Egyptian pyramids were built by aliens using
acoustic levitation:
Ancient Aliens: Manipulated Sound Produces Strange Levitation Effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-11HXUNuCE (5:15)

The ancient Egyptians invented the bicycle:
The Origin of the Bicycle
https://www.xtremecanada.com/content/origin-bicycle
"Tomb paintings from ancient Egypt suggest a distant ancestor of the
bicycle."
https://www.google.com/search?q=ancient+bicycle+carving&tbm=isch

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 15th 21, 06:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 15 May 2021 13:16:14 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Perhaps a simple explanation:

Narcissistic personality disorder — A mental condition in which people
have an inflated sense of their own importance, a deep need for
excessive attention and admiration, troubled relationships, and a lack
of empathy for others. But behind this mask of extreme confidence lies
a fragile self-esteem that's vulnerable to the slightest criticism and
frequently respond to what they perceive as criticism with insults and
threats of physical assault.

Seems to be a popular disorder:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Narcissistic+personality+disorder&tbm=isc h
The problem is that almost everyone shows signs of NPD. (Fashionable
diseases must have acronyms or nobody remembers the name). Let's take
your description and see if it applies to my favorite example, me.

Yes, I have an inflated sense of importance. In the past, this was
called pride, but that's gone out of fashion. I'm rather proud of a
few accomplishments, but few want to hear it.

Yes, I have a deep need for attention and admiration. Why else would
I should off my knowledge of how things work? In the past, I just
wanted to help solve problems, but that became boring because new
problems accumulate faster than they can be solved. So, I limit
myself to explaining how things work, and let people solve their own
problems. I still get my dose of attention and admiration, without
actually solving any problems.

Yes, I have troubled relationships. Actually, all my past
relationships have been troubled. Should I ever find the ideal
partner, one of my first actions will be to disappear from R.B.T.

Yes, I have a lack of empathy of others. In the past, I used to pride
myself in not knowing anyone whom I can genuinely hate. That worked
fairly well, until Tom arrived. After trying to be helpful by
answering his questions, correcting his numerous mistakes, making
useful suggestions, and revising his resume, but receiving no
attention or admiration, I think I finally found someone with whom I
have no interest in sharing their problems.

Yes, I wear the mask of extreme confidence. It's necessary because
experts are expected to act in a confident manner. Would you accept
advice from someone who doubts their own abilities? I wouldn't. The
perception of extreme confidence is very important.

Yes, under my mask of self confidence lies a fragile self-esteem. It
sometimes becomes visible when I make a mistake. In the past, I used
to sulk and worry that my reputation would be ruined and nobody will
trust what I have to offer. Today, I have Tom as a perfect example of
someone who has demonstrated that it is possible to be chronically
wrong and survive the experience.

No, I am not vulnerable to criticism. I had that problem in the past,
but not for many years. I learn from my mistakes and make an effort
to correct the problem. I also thank people for finding my errors. I
expect to continue making mistakes and continue fixing them. It's
called trial and error (or Learn by Destroying). However, when I am
criticized unfairly or in an insulting manner, I first try to respond
in a tactful and diplomatic manner. If that fails, I sometimes add a
few insults. I don't threaten or engage in physical violence, but
have hired those who do so (for an eviction).

I guess I do have some of the characteristics of narcissistic
personality disorder.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272