A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

vale, Laurence Malone

Old May 24th 21, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default vale, Laurence Malone

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-...traffic-crash/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads
Old May 24th 21, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 5:38:02 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

I remember Laurence commenting in an interview for the Santa Cruz news paper how hard Jobst's rides were. It was a small world back then.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 24th 21, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 6:33:01 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 5:38:02 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:

I remember Laurence commenting in an interview for the Santa Cruz news paper how hard Jobst's rides were. It was a small world back then.

I have no memory of him and I did some of Jobst's rides until we had an almost violent disagreement with his lackadaisical care for the safety of the people riding with him. None of his rides bothered me though I was off the back most of the time but a LOT of his hanger's on crashed and sometimes violently.
Old May 31st 21, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
William Crowell
external usenet poster

In 1972, when I was 23, I thought I wanted to be a racer, so I entered the Euclid St. time trial in Berkeley, CA. At the time I had no idea how fast the racers were. Laurence and Dan Nall started after I did, and they both passed me so fast that I realized I was destined to be a tourist. No complaints, though.
Old May 31st 21, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf
external usenet poster

William Crowell wrote:
In 1972, when I was 23, I thought I wanted to be a racer, so I entered
the Euclid St. time trial in Berkeley, CA. At the time I had no idea how
fast the racers were. Laurence and Dan Nall started after I did, and
they both passed me so fast that I realized I was destined to be a
tourist. No complaints, though.

Thanks for that anecdote. Yes, kids, such was life in Leningrad^WBerkeley,
before Strava.
Old May 31st 21, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:13:12 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
William Crowell wrote:

before Strava.

Out in Livermore, before it became a city and was just a quiet little town with the lab there and the three way fountain intersection, they used to hold crits in what was to become a business park. I was a Cat 5 and we would start behind the "real racers". I would close up that minute or so pretty rapidly and ride on the back of the Cat 3's, but that effort would invariably be my undoing and I would eventually be caught and passed by the Cat 4's just before the Cat 1's would come by. Then after I burned my lungs in my work at the Lab, I could no longer ride fast at all.
Old May 31st 21, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 7:39:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
William Crowell wrote:

before Strava.

Out in Livermore, before it became a city and was just a quiet little town with the lab there and the three way fountain intersection, they used to hold crits in what was to become a business park. I was a Cat 5 and we would start behind the "real racers". I would close up that minute or so pretty rapidly and ride on the back of the Cat 3's, but that effort would invariably be my undoing and I would eventually be caught and passed by the Cat 4's just before the Cat 1's would come by. Then after I burned my lungs in my work at the Lab, I could no longer ride fast at all.

If you were racing USCF in the 70s, you were a Cat 4. I think Cat 5 was launched sometime in the late '80s. I was already racing in Oregon, and I heard the creation of Cat 5 was driven by the need to reduce the size (and carnage) of the Cat 4 packs in California/NorCal-Nevada. And I think in the very beginning, you could elect to be a Cat 4 or Cat 5 when you got your license. I wasn't paying too much attention since I'd already achieved my status as permanent Cat 3 pack-slacker with a real job and no genetic gifts -- who was too big for the sport.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 31st 21, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:47:39 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
William Crowell wrote:
before Strava.

If you were racing USCF in the 70s, you were a Cat 4. I think Cat 5 was launched sometime in the late '80s. I was already racing in Oregon, and I heard the creation of Cat 5 was driven by the need to reduce the size (and carnage) of the Cat 4 packs in California/NorCal-Nevada. And I think in the very beginning, you could elect to be a Cat 4 or Cat 5 when you got your license. I wasn't paying too much attention since I'd already achieved my status as permanent Cat 3 pack-slacker with a real job and no genetic gifts -- who was too big for the sport.

Well whatever it was, we would be started a minute behind the other groups and I would make up the minute on the Cat 3's pretty rapidly which was a real bad idea and one that I would eventually have gotten over if I hadn't gotten the lung injury.
Old May 31st 21, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary
external usenet poster

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 11:33:37 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 8:47:39 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
William Crowell wrote:
before Strava.

Well whatever it was, we would be started a minute behind the other groups and I would make up the minute on the Cat 3's pretty rapidly which was a real bad idea and one that I would eventually have gotten over if I hadn't gotten the lung injury.

I never heard of him but a hard way to go and a shame.
Deacon Mark