vale, Laurence Malone

Old May 24th 21, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default vale, Laurence Malone

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-...traffic-crash/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 24th 21, 02:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 5:38:02 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-...traffic-crash/

I remember Laurence commenting in an interview for the Santa Cruz news paper how hard Jobst's rides were. It was a small world back then.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 24th 21, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 6:33:01 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 5:38:02 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-...traffic-crash/

I remember Laurence commenting in an interview for the Santa Cruz news paper how hard Jobst's rides were. It was a small world back then.

I have no memory of him and I did some of Jobst's rides until we had an almost violent disagreement with his lackadaisical care for the safety of the people riding with him. None of his rides bothered me though I was off the back most of the time but a LOT of his hanger's on crashed and sometimes violently.
Old May 31st 21, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
William Crowell

In 1972, when I was 23, I thought I wanted to be a racer, so I entered the Euclid St. time trial in Berkeley, CA. At the time I had no idea how fast the racers were. Laurence and Dan Nall started after I did, and they both passed me so fast that I realized I was destined to be a tourist. No complaints, though.
Old May 31st 21, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

William Crowell wrote:
In 1972, when I was 23, I thought I wanted to be a racer, so I entered
the Euclid St. time trial in Berkeley, CA. At the time I had no idea how
fast the racers were. Laurence and Dan Nall started after I did, and
they both passed me so fast that I realized I was destined to be a
tourist. No complaints, though.

Thanks for that anecdote. Yes, kids, such was life in Leningrad^WBerkeley,
before Strava.
Old May 31st 21, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, May 31, 2021 at 5:13:12 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
William Crowell wrote:
In 1972, when I was 23, I thought I wanted to be a racer, so I entered
the Euclid St. time trial in Berkeley, CA. At the time I had no idea how
fast the racers were. Laurence and Dan Nall started after I did, and
they both passed me so fast that I realized I was destined to be a
tourist. No complaints, though.

Thanks for that anecdote. Yes, kids, such was life in Leningrad^WBerkeley,
before Strava.

Out in Livermore, before it became a city and was just a quiet little town with the lab there and the three way fountain intersection, they used to hold crits in what was to become a business park. I was a Cat 5 and we would start behind the "real racers". I would close up that minute or so pretty rapidly and ride on the back of the Cat 3's, but that effort would invariably be my undoing and I would eventually be caught and passed by the Cat 4's just before the Cat 1's would come by. Then after I burned my lungs in my work at the Lab, I could no longer ride fast at all.
Old May 31st 21, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

William Crowell wrote:
[...]

If you were racing USCF in the 70s, you were a Cat 4. I think Cat 5 was launched sometime in the late '80s. I was already racing in Oregon, and I heard the creation of Cat 5 was driven by the need to reduce the size (and carnage) of the Cat 4 packs in California/NorCal-Nevada. And I think in the very beginning, you could elect to be a Cat 4 or Cat 5 when you got your license. I wasn't paying too much attention since I'd already achieved my status as permanent Cat 3 pack-slacker with a real job and no genetic gifts -- who was too big for the sport.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 31st 21, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

William Crowell wrote:
[...]

Well whatever it was, we would be started a minute behind the other groups and I would make up the minute on the Cat 3's pretty rapidly which was a real bad idea and one that I would eventually have gotten over if I hadn't gotten the lung injury.
Old May 31st 21, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

William Crowell wrote:
[...]

I never heard of him but a hard way to go and a shame.
Deacon Mark

vale Mel Pinto AMuzi Techniques 1 April 5th 21 05:19 PM
vale, Arthur Spanjar AMuzi Techniques 4 July 14th 18 01:29 AM
vale, Erwin Pesek AMuzi Techniques 479 March 27th 12 06:14 PM
Titec Malone road bars, 44cm, 26.0, single groove, silver, $15 Douglas Landau Marketplace 1 January 27th 11 01:28 AM
Moss Vale - Bowral Owen Cook Australia 0 April 9th 05 01:00 PM