Donate to send Recycle-A-Bicycle to New Orleans

Old November 22nd 05, 05:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Donate to send Recycle-A-Bicycle to New Orleans

There's a great program called Recycle-A-Bicycle, an independent
organization dedicated to youth development, environmental education,
recycling and bicycle transportation in New York City.
A local New Orleans non-profit bicycle project, Plan B, received
donations of over 600 used bicycles for residents adversely affected by
the hurricane. Plan B is a community-run bike project that functions as
an open workspace for bicycle repair as well as a bike shop that sells
recycled bicycles. Its building remained intact, and volunteers are
struggling to refurbish the large volume of donated bikes to put back
on the street as quickly as possible. The majority of these bicycles
are not in working order and require an average of 2 hours/bike to make
them safe. As bikes are completed, they are offered to the people of
New Orleans for a nominal fee of $15.
NY Recycle-A-Bicycle mechanics are taking time off from work, and
donating their time to help Plan B meet its mission. We estimate that
each mechanic will repair at least 5 bikes per day. If we raise enough
money to send 10 mechanics, we will be able to repair 350 bicycles for
the people of New Orleans. The cost of sending each mechanic to New
Orleans is $500 for travel and food. We hope to raise $25/bike to cover
the cost of repair materials. This sets our total budget at $13,750.
Please help the New Orleans Bike Build Project reach this goal with a
non-profit donation through the Internet or by mail at the address
noted below. Your support is tax-deductible.
Please donate through the Network for Good:
http://partners.guidestar.org/contro...ein=11-3422028

Old November 22nd 05, 10:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Scott Gordo wrote:
[...]

Why just New Orleans? Why not all over this Big-Mac gobbling pigsty?

JD

Old November 23rd 05, 03:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Scott Gordo wrote:
[...]

New Orleans might actually be a safe place to cycle, now that all the
criminals have been dispersed to other locales.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

JD wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
[...]

One Big-Mac gobbling pigsty at a time....

/s

Old November 23rd 05, 04:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

JD wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:
[...]

Forgot to add:
http://www.phonelosers.org/pranks_mcdonalds_sign.html