Any helmet laws successfully overturned?

Old June 30th 03, 07:36 AM
Bernie

Default Any helmet laws successfully overturned?

zeldabee wrote:

(blech) wrote:
(Michael Malak) wrote...
I'm considering embarking upon a campaign to overturn bicycle
helmet laws in my area. snip

You should focus your attention on all the strange aircraft noise
in the DC area.

Yes indeed! The helmet makes a good substratum for the tinfoil.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m
http://NewsReader.Com/

That's positively brilliant! One could make a tinfoil sombrero if it had a
styrofoam substrate!
Bernie
"Always wear your seatbelt - it makes it harder for the aliens to suck you
out of your car"

Old June 30th 03, 08:16 PM
John Bartley K7AAY

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:11:17 +0000 (UTC), (Dave
Rabinowitz) wrote:

If every U.S. jurisdiction had a juvenile helmet law, only 137
lives would be saved. 687 * 0.29 * (2/3) = 137
http://www.bhsi.org/stats.htm

This is a phony argument. For every bicycle head injury that results in
death there are about a thousand head injuries which result in various other
problems including permanent disabilities. Do a google search on bicycle
head injury statistics and look at any of the more than 14,000 hits to get a
better idea of the real potential impact of helmet usage.

Please also visit brainplace.com, where a pediatric psychiatrist uses brain
scans to prove small head trauma can have drastic impact on skils,
abilities and temprament.

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
Old June 30th 03, 11:16 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:24:09 -0500, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

Since head injuries can occur at any time or place, perhaps we should all wear
foam hats all the time. But what's that? People who bicycle are more likely to
get head injuries than those who don't? Ahh, now it's a different subject. Prove
it.

Playing soccer or american football, let alone rugby or aussie rules, in
gym class is probably a much bigger risk.

Jasper
Old July 1st 03, 03:23 PM
Doug Huffman

Now there's a terse argument! So terse that it is a valueless appeal to
authority. I guess that I need to reinstate my filter against this anile
topic. It is a 'religion' and no law should be made respecting an
establishment of religion.

"Michael Davis" wrote in message
om...

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss5204a1.htm

Old July 1st 03, 06:43 PM
John Bartley K7AAY

Default Head impact, brain damage and resulting change in abilities (Was: Any helmet laws successfully overturned?)

wrote:
Since head injuries can occur at any time or place, perhaps we should
all wear foam hats all the time.

Or, perhaps, soften the edges of our environment.

But what's that? People who bicycle are more
likely to get head injuries than those who don't? Ahh, now it's a different
subject. Prove it.

Please indicate where in the above I made the assertion.
Use a #2 pencil and stay between the lines.

"Jasper Janssen" wrote in message
.. .
Playing soccer or american football, let alone rugby or aussie rules, in
gym class is probably a much bigger risk.

Yep. That's what Dr Amen says.
Go watch Muhammed Ali for details.

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:20:23 -0700, "one of the six billion"
wrote:
A lifetime of eating at McDonalds is probably an even bigger risk.

snip

Risk to mental functioning? That was the thread, not risk to lifespan. You
seem to be engaging in topic drift.

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
Old July 1st 03, 06:58 PM
zeldabee

On 30 Jun 2003 20:39:18 GMT, zeldabee wrote:
(John Bartley K7AAY (ex-KGH2126)) wrote:

Please also visit brainplace.com, where a pediatric psychiatrist uses
brain scans to prove small head trauma can have drastic impact on
skils, abilities and temprament.

...And spelling, I'd imagine... ;o)

Yes, ma'am. Guilty as charged.

But was it Webster, or Clemens, who found folks boring if they only knew
one way to spell a word?

Could even be George Bernard Shaw or Lincoln, I suppose, who knows. Maybe
Bartleby would know...I just thought it was funny in context.

--
z e l d a b e e @ p a n i x . c o m http://NewsReader.Com/
Old July 2nd 03, 03:28 AM
Pete

"David Kerber" wrote

Which makes no sense, so recheck your assumptions. There are a few
possible confounding circumstances, though. One is that the people who
put in the most miles may wear their helmet more consistently than
occasional riders.

And those people with more miles should, by virtue of experience, be better
riders. *Less* likely to crash.

Pete