Wheel drag

Old November 21st 05, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Wheel drag

Scott wrote:
wrote:

There is no danger of me winning my main event, but the 4 events I am
going to concentrate on next season are all over 250km. These are more
or less big team time trials (without aero bars) where up to 30 riders
start per team, and the best 10 riders' times count toward the team
competition. Folks get "used up" along the way, but I'd like to be one
of those who finish with the lead group. In the 540km event, the 404's
theoretically could save me 1 hour. I won't finish an hour sooner, but
I might be able to stick it out the whole distance at speed.

Many months ahead to find some money for these wheels...

Joseph

Well, now that we know you're not talking about differences between
wheels during a TT-style event, the differences become even less
important. The benefits of aero wheels are greatly reduced when riding
in a pack. If your team of riders isn't riding 'on the rivet' as they
say, in full team time trial mode, you'll probably recognize no
appreciable benefit whatsoever.

We will be in rows of 2. The road is open to traffic so we can only
spread across one lane for crosswinds. There is always wind. On the
flat sections it will be expected of me to be one of the riders in the
pull rotation. I get to daft on climbs. I expect to have as much as 2
hours total (of 15) spent at the very front. Perhaps I will not get too
much benefit further back while "resting" but out front it will
certainly help. And if I can limit the amount of my reserves I burn up
while at the front, I increase my chances of being able to have some
juice left over to stick with the group for some of the last hills.

Not "on the rivet," but a lot more structured than a pack. I wonder
what that means.

Joseph

Old November 22nd 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

dvt wrote:
Ron Ruff wrote:
It amazes me that elite cyclists can get CdA values of less than .20
with the best equipment.

That *is* amazing! Unless you're talking about faired HPVs, of course.
But 0.20 on a diamond frame setup?

Yup... that's how those guys can go so fast! The forums at
BikeTechReview have a lot of discussions about aero position and CdA.
0.20 is very good but not impossible these days...

Old November 22nd 05, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Scott wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Are you saying you're not familiar with the term 'on the rivet'? It's
a slang term implying that you're going all out, max effort, suffering
so badly you find yourself sliding up to the nose of the saddle (where
they used to have rivets, back in the day) trying to squeeze every last
bit of power out of your pedalstroke.

If my hunch is correct, considering that you're talking about a very
long event, you're likely to be pacing yourself to such a relatively
low power output (relative to your max) that what little aero benefit
you receive will be negligible toward your desired outcome of saving
your reserves.

But, hey, you apparently have your mind made up and you're looking for
validation of your decision to buy new wheels. Who needs validation,
anyway. Just buy your new wheels and be happy. I can hook you up with
a set of Reynolds DV tubular wheels, very lightly used (3 crits), for
waaay less than current retail. Email me directly if you're
interested.

Scott

Old November 22nd 05, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Scott wrote:
wrote:
Scott wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I figured out the term from the context of your post. I was wondering
what the effects of the deep dish wheels in the group would be.

One of the reasons I am considering the 404's or perhaps Mavic is I
need something with a metal rim. It rains and is so gritty around here,
pure carbon would get worn out real fast. And since they are so
expensive, I plan to use them alot.

A few other I know may be interested in some Reynolds DV's. I'll see.

Joseph

Old November 22nd 05, 08:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ron Ruff wrote:
wrote:

We will be in rows of 2. The road is open to traffic so we can only
spread across one lane for crosswinds. There is always wind.

If you have a strong cross wind you should be in a series of double
echelons, then.

One of the problems is that our group is from a wide geographic area
which makes practicing as a complete group difficult to arrange. So
things that can be logistically complicated on the road may be avoided
due to lack of sufficient practice. This is one of the topics under
discussion. The whole tactical side has not been decided yet. One of
the ideas is to have 3 groups. The first group pulls the first 1/3
which is uphill, the next group pulls the next 1/3 which is flat, and
then last group "the finishers" pull the last 1/3 which is rolling with
some short steep climbs.

On the
flat sections it will be expected of me to be one of the riders in the
pull rotation. I get to daft on climbs. I expect to have as much as 2
hours total (of 15) spent at the very front. Perhaps I will not get too
much benefit further back while "resting" but out front it will
certainly help. And if I can limit the amount of my reserves I burn up
while at the front, I increase my chances of being able to have some
juice left over to stick with the group for some of the last hills.

Your thinking seems pretty sound. One problem with deep rims though, is
that they will be harder to control in a crosswind... make sure you
have plenty of experience on them before the race.

I plan to get my money's worth out of whatver wheel I end up with. I'll
make sure I have plenty of practice. Since I am pretty heavy, that
should make me a little less susceptible to getting blown around that
much.

What do you estimate the average speed to be?

The goal is 38.5 kmh for the 540km ride and 40+ for the 250km rides. On
the flats when I am to be helping with the pulling will be about
40-45kmh.

I'd consider going with deep aluminum rims and oval spokes if you want
to save money... maybe upgrade later if it seems warranted. Also make
sure your clothing and helmet is the best it can be.

Clothes is pretty straight forward. Tight with no flapping. Helmets is
a more difficult propoosition. Any suggestions? It has to be something
that can be worn for 20 hours and not be a waste when I'm fried and
keep looking down, unable to look straight ahead the whole time. I'll
probably stick with my normal LAS.

Joseph

Old November 22nd 05, 12:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
[...]

Clothes is pretty straight forward. Tight with no flapping. Helmets is
a more difficult propoosition. Any suggestions? It has to be something
that can be worn for 20 hours and not be a waste when I'm fried and
keep looking down, unable to look straight ahead the whole time. I'll
probably stick with my normal LAS.

Joseph

From
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3574

"Most think that the frame matters the most, wheels next, and helmet
last. Some even think that the components come before the helmet. In
reality, a well designed aero-helmet will save you more time (power)
than anything else. The drag difference between a vented road helmet and
an aero-helmet is 2-4 times larger than the difference between a good
aero-wheelset and a 32-spoked wheelset."

Maybe looking for a more aero helmet could be worth it in your case.

Francesco
Old November 22nd 05, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Francesco Devittori wrote:
wrote:
[...]

[...]

That article doesn't really apply to the typical rider. They're talking
about minimizing drag on a pro cyclist that has the benefit of wind
tunnel testing and R&D to design a helmet to fit the specific rider's
profile.

Any 'off the shelf' aero helmet will have almost no appreciable gain
for the typical rider not riding in his optimal aero position, and will
likely be very poorly ventilated as well.

Old November 22nd 05, 02:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
On 22 Nov 2005 00:45:41 -0800, wrote:

One of the problems is that our group is from a wide geographic area
which makes practicing as a complete group difficult to arrange. So
things that can be logistically complicated on the road may be avoided
due to lack of sufficient practice. This is one of the topics under
discussion. The whole tactical side has not been decided yet. One of
the ideas is to have 3 groups. The first group pulls the first 1/3
which is uphill, the next group pulls the next 1/3 which is flat, and
then last group "the finishers" pull the last 1/3 which is rolling with
some short steep climbs.

What event is this? Is it in Scandanavia?

JT

Yes, it is in Norway:

http://www.styrkeproven.no/styrk2003/index_en.shtml

Come join the fun! We could use another ex-messenger, NYC rider on the
squad!

The racing scene isn't very well developed in Norway, so lots of folk
concentrate on these "tour" rides. Quite a bit different from pack
racing where folks attack on climbs to drop people. These rides are all
about consistency and team work. There are regular bike races too, but
since the fields are so small, it isn't divided up into cat II,III, etc
so often. This means only the best show up because other folks don't
want to get punished so bad. Which means even fewer show up next time.
Vicious circle. So the rest of us do these tour rides.

Joseph