Campagnolo 11 speed prices

Old October 29th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Campagnolo 11 speed prices

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
A grand for a crank? Maybe, maybe rational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$625 for shifters? Getting irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$500 for a rear derailleur? Irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$480 for a cassette? Well beyond irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$230 for a FRONT derailleur? Inexplicable.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$90 for a chain? Only $10 more than the 10 speed chain.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$50 for just the outboard bearing cups?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$450 for brakes?

$3425 for the above parts. Wow.
Old October 29th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 29, 2:03*pm, "
wrote:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...61&item=50-733....
A grand for a crank? *Maybe, maybe rational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...63&item=50-733....
$625 for shifters? *Getting irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...64&item=50-733....
$500 for a rear derailleur? *Irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...56&item=50-732....
$480 for a cassette? *Well beyond irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...65&item=50-733....
$230 for a FRONT derailleur? *Inexplicable.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...62&item=50-733....
$90 for a chain? *Only $10 more than the 10 speed chain.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...59&item=50-732....
$50 for just the outboard bearing cups?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...58&item=50-732....
$450 for brakes?

$3425 for the above parts. *Wow.

SuperRecord...Record about $700 cheaper and Chorus about $700 under
that. Weight differences small. Performance differences none.

BTW, DAe with a carbon crank-about $4000. DA/7900 with a carbon crank-
$3600. Big ring on a 7900 aluminum crankset, about $175. OBTW-7900 STI
NOT compatible with the 7800 FD or brakes....
Old October 29th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

skrev:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
A grand for a crank? Maybe, maybe rational.

"Only" 489 euro he
http://bike-components.de/catalog/An...Kurbelgarnitur

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$625 for shifters? Getting irrational.

289 Euro:
http://bike-components.de/catalog/An...+11-fach+re+li

I looks like performancebike is charging a hefty overprice. Usually
there isn't such a big discrepancy between prices in the US and EU
regarding high end Campagnolo stuff.

Not that I find SR inexpensive even at EU prices. I think SR is a
service Campagnolo provides to wealthy people that really don't now
what else to do with the heaps of cash that accumulates on their bank
account.

--
Regards
Old October 29th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 13:03:25 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
A grand for a crank? Maybe, maybe rational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$625 for shifters? Getting irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$500 for a rear derailleur? Irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$480 for a cassette? Well beyond irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$230 for a FRONT derailleur? Inexplicable.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$90 for a chain? Only $10 more than the 10 speed chain.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$50 for just the outboard bearing cups?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
$450 for brakes?

$3425 for the above parts. Wow.

Dear Russell,

But think of the benefits!

Crank:

"CULT 5/32” ceramic ball bearings are housed in a low-drag
technopolymer cage with super-hard Cronitect races, plus they’re 200
times more resistant to corrosion than stainless steel bearings."

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

["CULT" is a nice name, given the drag reduction. And thank heavens
someone has solved the problem of those stainless steel crank bearings
corroding all the time!]

***

Brifter:

"Titanium mechanism parts for lightweight strength"

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[Say goodbye to those old steel-filled boat anchors on the handlebar
that held you back!]

***

Rear derailleur:

"Ultra-Shift parallelogram design uses a forged aluminum body with a
carbon fiber outer plate to improve accuracy, reduce weight and
increase torsional stiffness by 150%!"

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[The old rear derailleurs were so limp that no springs were actually
needed. The old cages just bent back and forth to move the chain.]

Max. Cog: 27T
Capacity: 29T

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[This makes sense if you remove the cassette's wisdom teeth, so to
speak.]

***

"Get better shifting precision, longer lasting performance and a
broader range of gear combinations with Campy’s 11-speed cassette."

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[Er, broader? Isn't the _range_ still the same?]

***

Front derailleur:

"Carbon fiber outer cage lightens the load and adds an attractive
look"

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[Wow! It's only 72 grams. That's 17 grams lighter than the Shimano
Ultegra 10 FD-6600 braze-on.]

***

"New narrow design at 5.5mm eliminates friction with adjacent
sprockets and chainrings - this means quieter, quicker and smoother
shifting action"

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[This new narrow design should solve all those early complaints about
fat old 10-speed chains jamming solid on the new 11-speed cassettes.]

***

Outboard bearing cups:

"Pewter finish"

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[Sure they cost $50, but have you priced pewter lately?]

***

Brakes:

$450

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

[Okay, $450 might seem a little high at first, but do you really want
to trust your expensive 11-speed components to dangerously
old-fashioned brakes designed to stop only 10-speed components?]

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 29th 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Borsje[_6_]

explained :
wrote:

[...]

Totally ridiculous, absurd.

People buying these should be directed immediately to psychiatric
clinic.

Com' on, bank bonusses are over!

Old October 29th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

explained :
wrote:

[...]

The average devaluation in the first year of a new medium size car is
4000 euro. Lots of those. Put those people in a psychiatric clinic too?
It is gonna be crowded in there.
I was at my LBS last saturday and I asked if he already sold 11 speed
Record gruppo's. 'Yes several', he answered. Did you took one shifter
apart was my second question? Yes he said. And? 'Scary', they changed
almost everything.
I think I stick to my 10 speed stuff for a while ;-)

Lou
Old October 30th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 00:05:35 +0100, Lou Holtman
wrote:

explained :
wrote:

[...]

Dear Lou,

Your post made me look again at Russell's link to the 11-speed
brifter:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true

The specs say 331 grams with "Titanium mechanism parts for lightweight
strength"

That page syas that I might also like the Campy Record QS 10 speed
brifter:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=9999

The specs say 342 grams, which means that the old 10-speed brifters
weighed 11 ponderous grams more than the titanium-guts 11-speed.

Eleven grams is about what four pennies weigh, if you mix 3.1 gram
pre-1982 pennies with 2.5 grams post-1983 pennies.

Not even a nickel's worth of difference in terms of weight.

To be fair to the marketing department, stressing the use of titanium
is a better advertising tactic than stating that the new brifters are
less than half an ounce lighter.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old October 30th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

explained :

wrote:

[...]

US$1k is not so bad considering "Aluminum screws and nuts lighten the
load."

tf
Old October 30th 08, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

russellseaton1 wrote:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...61&item=50-733....
A grand for a crank? *Maybe, maybe rational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...63&item=50-733....
$625 for shifters? *Getting irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...64&item=50-733....
$500 for a rear derailleur? *Irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...56&item=50-732....
$480 for a cassette? *Well beyond irrational.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...65&item=50-733....
$230 for a FRONT derailleur? *Inexplicable.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...62&item=50-733....
$90 for a chain? *Only $10 more than the 10 speed chain.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...59&item=50-732....
$50 for just the outboard bearing cups?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...58&item=50-732....
$450 for brakes?

$3425 for the above parts. *Wow.

It's an IQ test.

Chalo
Old October 30th 08, 07:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...27&subcategory...

The specs say 342 grams, which means that the old 10-speed brifters
weighed 11 ponderous grams more than the titanium-guts 11-speed.

Eleven grams is about what four pennies weigh, if you mix 3.1 gram
pre-1982 pennies with 2.5 grams post-1983 pennies.

Not even a nickel's worth of difference in terms of weight.

To be fair to the marketing department, stressing the use of titanium
is a better advertising tactic than stating that the new brifters are
less than half an ounce lighter.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Don't get me wrong Carl. I also think that the new 11 speed Super
Record is ridiculous expensive. It is not the brifter but the cassette
is what I think has the most ridiculous pricetag. But sending people
to a mental hospital who buy that stuff for whatever reason is another
question. Do we want to send people with Rolex watches or Calvin Klein
T-shirts or underwear to the funny barn?

Lou