Not your typical tires

Old November 2nd 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Not your typical tires

Ignore the oval chain ring:

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...ction=&lang=En
or http://tinyurl.com/66ztbn

Look closely at the front tire at 1 & 7 o'clock.

Look _very_ closely at the rear tire at 1 & 3 o'clock.

Aren't you glad that your choices are limited to tubulars and
clinchers?

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 2nd 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Carl Fogel wrote:

Ignore the oval chain ring:

http://tinyurl.com/66ztbn

Look closely at the front tire at 1 & 7 o'clock.

Look _very_ closely at the rear tire at 1 & 3 o'clock.

Aren't you glad that your choices are limited to tubulars and
clinchers?

Solid non-pneumatic rubber tires are all they had for high wheelers
and that drifted into the safety bicycle, this one apparently by Iver
Johnson. I had a later IJ that had triangular taper BB and steel
cranks. When realizing that the torsional strength of a shaft is
roughly that of the largest inscribed circular shaft. A triangle
doesn't leave much and with steel cranks had a poor retaining bolt to
boot.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 2nd 08, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

wrote in message
Carl Fogel wrote:

Ignore the oval chain ring:

http://tinyurl.com/66ztbn

Look closely at the front tire at 1 & 7 o'clock.

Look _very_ closely at the rear tire at 1 & 3 o'clock.

Aren't you glad that your choices are limited to tubulars and
clinchers?

Solid non-pneumatic rubber tires are all they had for high wheelers
and that drifted into the safety bicycle, this one apparently by Iver
Johnson. I had a later IJ that had triangular taper BB and steel
cranks. When realizing that the torsional strength of a shaft is
roughly that of the largest inscribed circular shaft. A triangle
doesn't leave much and with steel cranks had a poor retaining bolt to
boot.

Jobst Brandt

Is that not a valve at 7 o'clock on the front wheel?

On another note, what was the benefit of the serpentine seatpost?

Old November 2nd 08, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:10:52 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Carl Fogel wrote:

Ignore the oval chain ring:

http://tinyurl.com/66ztbn

Look closely at the front tire at 1 & 7 o'clock.

Look _very_ closely at the rear tire at 1 & 3 o'clock.

Aren't you glad that your choices are limited to tubulars and
clinchers?

Solid non-pneumatic rubber tires are all they had for high wheelers
and that drifted into the safety bicycle, this one apparently by Iver
Johnson. I had a later IJ that had triangular taper BB and steel
cranks. When realizing that the torsional strength of a shaft is
roughly that of the largest inscribed circular shaft. A triangle
doesn't leave much and with steel cranks had a poor retaining bolt to
boot.

Jobst Brandt

Is that not a valve at 7 o'clock on the front wheel?

On another note, what was the benefit of the serpentine seatpost?

Dear Carl,

Is that not another valve at 3 o'clock on the rear wheel?

(You have to look _very_ closely at two photos to be sure.)

The serpentine seat post wasn't a mistaken attempt at an incredibly
stiff suspension spring.

It just let you get at the bolt under the seat.

(Our great-grandfathers took a while to work out details that we take
for granted.)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 2nd 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Nov 1, 9:15 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:10:52 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Carl Fogel wrote:

[...]

I see that they had the Fart Slot long before Terry resurrected it.
Old November 2nd 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 21:36:57 -0700 (PDT), Hank
wrote:

On Nov 1, 9:15 pm, wrote:
On Sat, 1 Nov 2008 23:10:52 -0500, "Carl Sundquist"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
Carl Fogel wrote:

[...]

Dear Hank,

Hygenic saddles, as they were known, were popular on the even earlier
highwheelers in the 1870s.

I'm not sure if slots appeared on the even earlier velocipedes in the
1860s.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 2nd 08, 11:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Carl Sundquist wrote:

Ignore the oval chain ring:

http://tinyurl.com/66ztbn

Look closely at the front tire at 1 & 7 o'clock.

Look _very_ closely at the rear tire at 1 & 3 o'clock.

Aren't you glad that your choices are limited to tubulars and
clinchers?

Solid non-pneumatic rubber tires are all they had for high wheelers
and that drifted into the safety bicycle, this one apparently by
Iver Johnson. I had a later IJ that had triangular taper BB and
steel cranks. Realizing that the torsional strength of a shaft is
roughly that of the largest inscribed circular shaft, a triangle
doesn't leave much and with steel cranks had a poor retaining bolt
to boot.

Is that not a valve at 7 o'clock on the front wheel?

I think that is where a valve wold go for a pneumatic tire, but these
may be tire anchor screws to keep the solid tire from walking around
the wheel and dismounting itself. I can't see any detail in the large
gap in these tires to see thier cross section but it seems to be
mostly solir rubber.

On another note, what was the benefit of the serpentine seatpost?

I think it is believed to be a spring similar to the belief that the
curl in fork blades are springs.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 2nd 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:56:11 +0000, jobst.brandt wrote:

snip for clarity
I think it is believed to be a spring similar to the belief that the
curl in fork blades are springs.

but they are jobst. the "test" you describe to try to "prove" there is no
spring uses an elastic medium and is therefore flawed. as is the case /
so/ often, not only do you not understand the fundamentals, you're
impervious to learning.

Old November 2nd 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 1, 9:53*pm, wrote:
Ignore the oval chain ring:

http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...4596&weventite....
orhttp://tinyurl.com/66ztbn

Another manufacturer on the compact geometry bandwagon!

Typical... wafflycat UK 28 August 4th 05 09:47 AM
Death Threat from a Typical Mountain Biker (was Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker) averal Social Issues 0 April 11th 05 04:47 AM
typical RBR post MagillaGorilla Racing 0 November 25th 04 04:07 PM
typical RBR post MagillaGorilla Racing 0 November 25th 04 04:07 PM
typical audrey UK 1 August 6th 04 10:42 PM