relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

Old April 1st 04, 07:47 PM
Benjamin Lewis

Default relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires

David Damerell wrote:

charles ramsey wrote:
You can get about five times the life with a kevlar belted tire.

How's that work? How does the rubber know there's kevlar underneath it?

Perhaps the kevlar layer prevents the rubber from flexing as much, reducing
the "scrubbing motion" on the road surface?

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Old April 2nd 04, 02:30 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

It is a well known fact to velo-afficianados that the more you pay, the
less you get.

Need proof? take a derailler from X-mart, and compare it to a T.O.O.L.
Campagnolo in weight and price.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old April 2nd 04, 10:57 PM
David Reuteler

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:
Practicality. Even the most expensive bike is cheaper than a woman.

i'm going to forego the very obvious joke and just point out that it's not
really about delta $, but d$/dt. ie, it's not how much you spend but how
quickly you spend it. and here an expensive bike may have the leg up.

so to speak.
--
david reuteler

Old April 6th 04, 12:20 AM
charles ramsey

David Damerell wrote in message ...
charles ramsey wrote:
You can get about five times the life with a kevlar belted tire.

How's that work? How does the rubber know there's kevlar underneath it?

I thought maybe this was an april fools joke but it finally sunk in if
your major problem is glass cuts the glass takes longer to penetrate
the tire so you have time to stop the bike and remove the glass.
Old April 7th 04, 07:03 PM
Andrew Webster

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message .com...
cut
Carl: In all seriousness, I don't even know how they can ship something as
heavy and bulky as a car tire for what they charge for cheap ones. It's a
total mystery to me.

cut

Maybe I have a partial answer:

I recently bought 2 tyres for my bike - Hutchinson Acrobat MTB. 2x
£13.99 = £27.98

I also bought 2 tyres for my Ford Fiesta, this time 2 x £14.01 =
£56.10 !!!

With fitting, valves, wheel balancing, carcass disposal fee and even
£1.05 for filling with nitrogen (I didn't ask for that surely?) the
cost of the tyres is only a hook to get me to pay for the services of
the garage, maybe next time the tyres will be free and all I'll have
to pay for is fitting.....

Perhaps if folk just took away and fitted their car tyres the prices
might rise somewhat - just a thought.

Andrew Webster