Noticeable difference on steep hill 20.3 vs 25.3 gear inches?

Old May 26th 17, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Noticeable difference on steep hill 20.3 vs 25.3 gear inches?

On 2017-05-26 06:53, wrote:

I see no problems with that Ned. And since I'm approaching 73 myself
and ride with people a lot older than me I end up using what to me is
a low gear of 39-29. But in a couple of case on really hot days (and
it's very humid in this area) I've been forced down into a 30-29
since the sweat was pouring into my eyes and I couldn't see, trying
to make an 11% climb.

I used to have that problem a lot until I started using a sweat band
around my head, right below the helmet. My sister uses them partially
under the helmet but I find that uncomfortable. Walmart has them for
under $2/piece, they can be washed and they last at least 30 rides each
until they begin to look too funky.

On 100F plus days I have to stop every 5-10mi depending on terrain and
speed, take it off and squeeze the sweat out. Quite disgusting and I try
to find a spot for that where nobody see it. When it is super hot and
humid I carry a 2nd sweat band and alternate, hanging one on the baggage
rack to air out. Then I probably leave a stench trail behind me :-)

For these and other reasons, I really like classic cycling caps. I've
got several cotton ones that work well, although I'd prefer them without
the team or manufacturer's logos. I've also got a nice wool Walz cap
suitable for fancy dress bike touring. (Which is different from "full
mating plumage" sport riding.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 17, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-26 06:53, wrote:

[...]

That gets expensive. In my case such head cover would look very grungy
after 30 summer rides. No big deal on a $1.50 head band but I assume you
caps cost a lot more.

Because of a lack of hair I have to wear caps when chopping firewood and
such to avoid sun burns. After just a few days of that they begin to
look disgusting but other than family nobody sees it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 26th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-05-26 06:53, wrote:

[...]

Well, we're pretty high-tech in this house. We have a washing machine.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 17, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-05-26 06:53, wrote:

[...]

My caps cost nothing. When he closed Keith Bontrager gave me a huge sack of all of his cap stock.
Old May 26th 17, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-05-26 06:53, wrote:

[...]

I get this grunge on the cap beak that looks like grease but isn't. And it won't wash out. And if you try clorox it leaves the black and bleaches everything else.
Old May 26th 17, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-05-26 06:53, wrote:

[...]

Where you live you can afford one after paying for your house.

Old May 26th 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-05-26 06:53,
wrote:

[...]

It gets washed all the time. However, there comes a point where it
remains more and more brownish. I'd usually say it's still ok for
another 10-20 rides but my wife has a different opinion about such
aesthetics :-)

I get this grunge on the cap beak that looks like grease but isn't.
And it won't wash out. And if you try clorox it leaves the black and
bleaches everything else.

That's exactly the problem. Using harsh chemical on a head band weakens
or destroys the elastic parts of it, upon which it becomes useless. At
$1.50 or less not a major issue though.

Old May 26th 17, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2017-05-26 07:59, Frank Krygowski wrote:

For these and other reasons, I really like classic cycling
caps. I've got several cotton ones that work well, although
I'd prefer them without the team or manufacturer's logos. I've
also got a nice wool Walz cap suitable for fancy dress bike
touring. (Which is different from "full mating plumage" sport
riding.)

That gets expensive. In my case such head cover would look very
grungy after 30 summer rides. No big deal on a $1.50 head band
but I assume you caps cost a lot more.

Well, we're pretty high-tech in this house. We have a washing
machine.

It gets washed all the time. However, there comes a point where it
remains more and more brownish. I'd usually say it's still ok for
another 10-20 rides but my wife has a different opinion about such
aesthetics :-)

Well, you could try starting with a brownish cap. I have one of those,
and have had others in the past.

But we already know, nothing works for you.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 17, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 2017-05-26 07:59, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

JOY BEESON You got your ears on, Darlin'?
If so could you please tell us how to get grease out of a white(-ish) cap with a cardboard insert in the bill? Thank You

TIA
Old May 26th 17, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-05-26 07:59, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

He works for himself.