Airbag helmet

Old May 25th 17, 02:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Airbag helmet

Discovery Channel's Daily Planet had an item on this yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoakbBxm5g.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old May 25th 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 6:35:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Discovery Channel's Daily Planet had an item on this yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoakbBxm5g.

These devices require some means to detect the difference between a bump and a fall. I cannot see any way of doing that in a practical way. Furthermore to deploy them rapidly enough you need a method of explosive decompression which would in all likelihood be more dangerous than the fall it would be capable of protecting you from.

Again - the problem is not the ABILITY to build something that would work - it's the ability to build something that people can accept and isn't more of a danger than the fall.
Old May 25th 17, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 10:15:58 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 6:35:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Discovery Channel's Daily Planet had an item on this yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoakbBxm5g.

These devices require some means to detect the difference between a bump and a fall. I cannot see any way of doing that in a practical way. Furthermore to deploy them rapidly enough you need a method of explosive decompression which would in all likelihood be more dangerous than the fall it would be capable of protecting you from.

Again - the problem is not the ABILITY to build something that would work - it's the ability to build something that people can accept and isn't more of a danger than the fall.

I do not see it as an improvement on the typical skid lid, and it looks to me
as if it could lead to even worse neck injuries.
Old May 25th 17, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 9:11:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I think that it's a joke. What would trigger inflation?
Old May 25th 17, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 25 May 2017 06:35:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Discovery Channel's Daily Planet had an item on this yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoakbBxm5g.

This version of the video shows a few additional applications for the
air bag helmet. For example, you never know when you might be tackled
by a football player while riding your bicycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmkt6mg7mmM

Tested at Stanford:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6yl7zbIz0

Lots of other videos on their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfiRXN-4CZsOTn0X0KCWJQ

One big obstacle might be the cost. US$540 in 2013:
http://newatlas.com/hovding-inflatable-airbag-collar-purchase/29828/
and US$335 in 2016:
http://www.popsci.com/airbags-for-cyclists-heads-examined-as-alternatives-to-helmets

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 25th 17, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/25/2017 1:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

At the moment of impact, just call 911 [1] and the helpful
crew [2] will inflate it for you.

[1] motto: "When seconds matter, we'll be there in half an
hour or so."

[2] In many areas, each call response must include a police
or sheriff squad car, a fire truck and an ambulance
regardless of the nature of the problem.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 25th 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2017 2:01 PM, wrote:
[...]

It's not a joke, at least not to the people promoting it. Supposedly
it's got accelerometers and electronics that distinguish between normal
motions and impending impacts.

However, I remember seeing one video showing the thing going off
accidentally when a guy was simply putting on the jacket that contained
the gizmo in its collar. Since it costs upwards of $200, that false
alarm was pretty pricey.

(I searched for the video but couldn't find it.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 25th 17, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2017 2:15 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 25 May 2017 06:35:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Discovery Channel's Daily Planet had an item on this yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoakbBxm5g.

This version of the video shows a few additional applications for the
air bag helmet. For example, you never know when you might be tackled
by a football player while riding your bicycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmkt6mg7mmM

Tested at Stanford:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6yl7zbIz0

Lots of other videos on their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfiRXN-4CZsOTn0X0KCWJQ

One big obstacle might be the cost. US$540 in 2013:
http://newatlas.com/hovding-inflatable-airbag-collar-purchase/29828/
and US$335 in 2016:
http://www.popsci.com/airbags-for-cyclists-heads-examined-as-alternatives-to-helmets

This version is much less expensive:
http://sheldonbrown.com/airbag-helmet.html

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 17, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 25 May 2017 11:15:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Thu, 25 May 2017 06:35:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Discovery Channel's Daily Planet had an item on this yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoakbBxm5g.

This version of the video shows a few additional applications for the
air bag helmet. For example, you never know when you might be tackled
by a football player while riding your bicycle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmkt6mg7mmM

Tested at Stanford:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg6yl7zbIz0

Lots of other videos on their YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIfiRXN-4CZsOTn0X0KCWJQ

One big obstacle might be the cost. US$540 in 2013:
http://newatlas.com/hovding-inflatable-airbag-collar-purchase/29828/
and US$335 in 2016:
http://www.popsci.com/airbags-for-cyclists-heads-examined-as-alternatives-to-helmets

Very much a matter of not seeing the forest for the trees.

After all, an auto inflation helmet only touches on one portion of the
bicycle safety problem. Head injuries form only a part of the range
off injuries that endanger a bicyclist.

The new "Body Bag", an all encompassing inflatable covering for the
bicyclist which automatically inflates in the event of an accident
will provide the cyclists with "all over" protection.

Yes! Development of the Body Bag (tm) is proceeding apace and we will
shortly be accepting pre-devolvement donations.

Presently we are working on the problem of decelerating which, while
not impinging on the safety of the bicyclist does present certain
difficulties in impeding the trajectory and absorbing kinetic energy
of the inflated Body Bag. However initial studies of a drogue type
devise, while not complete to date seems to present a probable
solution.

We wish to include mention of The Michelin Tire Company who provided
certain visual preconceptual assistance to the Body Bag development
team. http://tinyurl.com/yasztdk9

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I think there's prior art on the concept:

http://tubulocity.com/wp-content/upl...at_cyclist.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Using an airbag may kill you Squashme UK 3 May 20th 13 09:39 PM
Airbag "helmet" for cyclists Mr. Benn[_9_] UK 6 May 3rd 12 01:29 PM
Coming in May: external airbag for Volvo's new V40 +VIDEO Simon Mason[_4_] UK 5 March 23rd 12 11:13 PM
The Airbag Helmet SMS Techniques 9 October 24th 10 05:29 PM
FS: Giro Pneumo Lone Star Edition helmet w/ helmet pod Robbie Brown Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 04:44 PM