Airbag helmet

Old May 27th 17, 04:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Airbag helmet

On 5/26/2017 7:55 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 3:40:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 2:05:47 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 7:52:25 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/26/2017 9:49 AM, wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 5:44:07 AM UTC-7, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Discovery Channel's Daily Planet had an item on
this yesterday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoakbBxm5g

I saw those first time 1-2 years ago. The ad
say they are much safer than ordinary helmets.

Last year I had 3 crashes. One was a minor fall-over on a trail. Another was a end-for-end flip on a steep downhill and the third was that road bike ride into a stone wall at 25 mph or so. None of these would be considered "serious" though they sure felt like it at the time. Aside from minor bruises and scratches there was no real damage save to my ego.

Yow. Tom, maybe you should take things a bit easier.

I'm averaging one mild to moderate on-road crash every 18 years. I'm
due for my next one about nine years from now, but I plan to be careful
enough to postpone that.

TK definitely needs to reduce his frequency, particularly when it comes to hitting stone walls at 25mph. As one gets older, it's harder to shake-off that sort of thing. "It's just a flesh wound!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAW6D21ICdg

-- Jay Beattie.

If you can't do a 360 degree endover and walk away from it you sure must be a sissy. But I was pretty angry that it was because of those FABULOUS new hydraulic disk brakes. OK, it was only 270 degrees. But I didn't cry.

I did a cartwheel in October and rode away from it -- and then got surgery to repair my hand and ended up in the ER with a bleed in my psoas. Double-tap with a broken hand hurts like hell, and the rest of my body didn't feel much better. Thanks to the people at the Rock Garden Tavern who gave me a bag of ice. http://thebarlowroad.com/Images/carv...n_09-19-15.jpg I'll never say bad things about your crazy, p-u truck driving patrons again, or at least for a while.

I must say, though, getting up off the pavement was hard, and I had to sit for quite a while to get over the feeling that I was going to puke. It's harder pulling it together after a body slam in my old age. No concussion, but I did trash my helmet. It saved my life, and the lives of my entire family. It died for Frank's sins. Amen.

I hope it was only a $30 helmet. I don't do enough sinning to justify
sacrificing an expensive helmet.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 30th 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 12:15:12 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, May 26, 2017 at 10:35:02 AM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 26 May 2017 08:27:17 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Very much a matter of not seeing the forest for the trees.

I live in an overgrown forest. I use a quad copter to see the forest.

The new "Body Bag", an all encompassing inflatable covering for the
bicyclist which automatically inflates in the event of an accident
will provide the cyclists with "all over" protection.

I'm sorry, but you're too late. It's already on the market:
https://www.google.com/search?q=inflatable+crash+ball&tbm=isch

You might also consider a marine survival suit as a wearable air bag:
https://www.google.com/search?q=inflatable+immersion+suit&tbm=isch
https://archive.hnsa.org/doc/oberon/escape/img/fig014.jpg

Perhaps a more "armored" defense system would be better:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/oddities/slides/bricks.html
with an option for an "organic" cushion:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/oddities/slides/bush.html
or just improvise something from available components:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/oddities/slides/helmet.html

Can you see ANY frame bending on the guys frame carrying bricks? Even the front suspension isn't folded. But the rear tire is almost completely flat.

Well, yeah! The downtube is bending. There is a noticeable gap between the forward bottom edge of the 2nd lowest brick, whereas there is none at the rear bottom edge.

Using an airbag may kill you Squashme UK 3 May 20th 13 09:39 PM
Airbag "helmet" for cyclists Mr. Benn[_9_] UK 6 May 3rd 12 01:29 PM
Coming in May: external airbag for Volvo's new V40 +VIDEO Simon Mason[_4_] UK 5 March 23rd 12 10:13 PM
The Airbag Helmet SMS Techniques 9 October 24th 10 05:29 PM
FS: Giro Pneumo Lone Star Edition helmet w/ helmet pod Robbie Brown Marketplace 0 November 18th 04 03:44 PM