how many nm for dome nuts on wheel axle?

Old June 2nd 17, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default how many nm for dome nuts on wheel axle?

Today I tried the torque wrench for dome nuts
on a single speed rear wheel axle. I put torque
to 45 nm which I got from a MTB casette.
I don't know how hard I have been pulling them
hitherto but my intuition tells me this was
considerably harder.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 2nd 17, 08:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 03:29:13 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Today I tried the torque wrench for dome nuts
on a single speed rear wheel axle. I put torque
to 45 nm which I got from a MTB casette.
I don't know how hard I have been pulling them
hitherto but my intuition tells me this was
considerably harder.

I read that Shimano recommends 260 - 290 inch pounds for axle nuts
which is 28Nm - 32Nm.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 2nd 17, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 9:29:16 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I tried the torque wrench for dome nuts
on a single speed rear wheel axle. I put torque
to 45 nm which I got from a MTB casette.
I don't know how hard I have been pulling them
hitherto but my intuition tells me this was
considerably harder.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

switch to SS Nylocks n paint exposed threads with thinned linseed
Old June 2nd 17, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Friday, June 2, 2017 at 5:58:21 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 9:29:16 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I tried the torque wrench for dome nuts
on a single speed rear wheel axle. I put torque
to 45 nm which I got from a MTB casette.
I don't know how hard I have been pulling them
hitherto but my intuition tells me this was
considerably harder.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

switch to SS Nylocks n paint exposed threads with thinned linseed

^^ excellent advice ^^
Old June 2nd 17, 09:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

Today I tried the torque wrench for dome
nuts on a single speed rear wheel axle.
I put torque to 45 nm which I got from a MTB
casette. I don't know how hard I have been
pulling them hitherto but my intuition tells
me this was considerably harder.

I read that Shimano recommends 260 - 290 inch
pounds for axle nuts which is 28Nm - 32Nm.

Excellent, thank you!

Old June 2nd 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Doug Landau wrote:

switch to SS Nylocks n paint exposed threads
with thinned linseed

^^ excellent advice ^^

Dome nuts are the original component. To get
anything else would be impractical as there are
so many such bikes around, and besides I don't
see anything wrong with using dome nut
and washers.

Old June 3rd 17, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 02 Jun 2017 22:30:23 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Doug Landau wrote:

switch to SS Nylocks n paint exposed threads
with thinned linseed

^^ excellent advice ^^

Dome nuts are the original component. To get
anything else would be impractical as there are
so many such bikes around, and besides I don't
see anything wrong with using dome nut
and washers.

As long as you check to be sure that the axle/bold won't screw in so
deep that it hits the bottom of the threads in the nut. Probably dome
nuts look better but regular old nuts hold just as well :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 3rd 17, 05:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

As long as you check to be sure that the
axle/bold won't screw in so deep that it hits
the bottom of the threads in the nut.
Probably dome nuts look better but regular
old nuts hold just as well :-)

The saying goes that the dome will protect the
threading of the axle, right?

Old June 3rd 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/2/2017 11:00 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. wrote:

As long as you check to be sure that the
axle/bold won't screw in so deep that it hits
the bottom of the threads in the nut.
Probably dome nuts look better but regular
old nuts hold just as well :-)

The saying goes that the dome will protect the
threading of the axle, right?

From what? Cosmic rays? vermin? zombies?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 3rd 17, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi writes:

As long as you check to be sure that the axle/bold
won't screw in so deep that it hits the bottom of
the threads in the nut. Probably dome nuts look
better but regular old nuts hold just as well :-)

The saying goes that the dome will protect the
threading of the axle, right?

From what? Cosmic rays? vermin? zombies?

I suppose if the bike falls over or strikes into other
objects when people muscle it into and out of
over-crowded racks.

Perhaps dirt will find a home there rather than the
more level dome...