Channeling Andrew

Old March 18th 21, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Channeling Andrew

I'm channeling Andrew here, posting the bad bike news:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bicyclist...115205702.html

The article's conclusion says:

"The Downtown Development Authority has been working with the Florida
Department of Transportation to install gates that would block people
from going under the arms, Miami Commissioner Ken Russell said.

“To me, this is about cycling safety and making sure the city, county
and state have the right infrastructure to make cycling safe for
everyone in the city.”

I'm reminded of my time as a plant engineer, when the plant safety
committee inspected a machine installation of mine and required
additional guarding. It was not enough that an employee couldn't
accidentally hurt himself. It must be impossible for an employee to
_deliberately_ hurt himself.

But you can't really make things foolproof. Fools are too determined and
ingenious.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 18th 21, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 1:16:57 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

After all, bureaucrats have to make sure they're needed.
Old March 19th 21, 12:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 16:16:52 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I was once "written up" during a safety inspection because a floor
mounted drill press did not have a belt guard. when I pointed out that
I couldn't reach high enough to stick my fingers in the belt drive,
nor could the inspector, his answer was "nope, you gotta belt you
gotta guard it" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 19th 21, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 3:16 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I see a few every week but I took Mr Lieberman's critique to
heart and stopped sharing.

The interested reader could probably find the two Citi Bike
customers robbed of their crappy heavy rentals in NYC at
knifepoint today. Now there's a game not worth the candle.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 19th 21, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/18/2021 8:35 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I was astonished that someone would try the trick this guy tried - to
"beat" a rising drawbridge, as might be portrayed in some action movie,
but using (say) a Porsche.

Part of my interest may have been triggered by an event in Amsterdam a
couple years ago. My wife, a friend and I were walking around the city
when we stopped on a bridge to gaze at a canal scene. Then some noise
started up - a bell or whistle, I forget - and we looked around
wondering what it was. Turns out we were standing on a drawbridge that
was about to open.

We didn't try any daredevil moves. We got off the bridge immediately.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 19th 21, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/18/2021 8:17 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I did something equally stupid at 12 years old, just not
fatally.

Reasoning that riding a 3" highway stripe was ridiculously
easy, I got halfway across a concrete foundation on a 4"
steel beam. Hence my first stainless steel body parts.

As with so many human tragedies, "Seemed like a good idea at
the time". Which would make an excellent tombstone quip.

Old March 19th 21, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/18/2021 9:27 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Was that on a bike or walking?

As a young and overconfident man, I once walked the center longitudinal
beam of a bridge that was closed for deck replacement. It was maybe 30
feet above the bottom of a gorge and 20 feet across. All went well until
I got to the intersecting beams at dead center. I stopped to look
around, then suddenly froze. It took all my will power to go the rest of
the way across.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 19th 21, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/19/2021 10:28 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

My brand new first ten-speeder. Which escaped unscathed,
unlike my arm.

Andrew Tom Kunich[_5_] Techniques 75 August 15th 19 05:35 AM
Channeling Dopey Verbruggen B. Lafferty[_3_] Racing 4 June 10th 10 09:08 PM
For Andrew Muzi [email protected] Techniques 3 January 9th 10 12:47 AM
Andrew Curran Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_] UK 11 September 21st 09 10:44 AM
Andrew Muzi are you ok? [email protected][_2_] Techniques 36 September 4th 09 01:56 PM