Faulty Memories?

Old May 4th 21, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Faulty Memories?

On 5/4/2021 1:11 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/4/2021 1:49 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 4 May 2021 11:20:05 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

BTW, we have a friend who went through a divorce. Her
husband took the
keys to her shed's padlock. She asked me to open it for her.

It was a Masterlock. I tried the rapping technique but
wasn't able to
make it work. I was SO disappointed! It's almost like
stuff on YouTube
can't be trusted!

I've been doing various forms of locksport:
http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Locksport
erratically for most of my life. I'm not very good at it,
but am
getting better. When the lockdown started last year, I
began spending
more time at home, which gave me an excuse to practice
some more. It
takes time to assemble the necessary tools and get the
feel for how
SPP (single pin picking) is done. I'm not that interested
in bypass,
raking, bumping, jiggling, comb keys, etc. If you want to
open the
lock with minimum effort, look into those, especially raking.
https://www.google.com/search?q=lock+rakes&tbm=isch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFEa_j3D97E (2:44)

I've played with various picking techniques you mentioned,
but didn't want to advertise the fact. And as I said, I'm
not very fast. I thought rapping might be both inconspicuous
and fast, but I couldn't make it work.

(I cut the shackle with a Dremel.)

It's usually easier and cheaper to cut the door shed hasp
than the
lock shackle. The better padlocks are worth far more than
the door
hasp. However, if you must cut, an angle grinder with a
narrow cutoff
disk is probably the easiest but noisiest.

I have a 120V angle grinder, but the woman's shed was
probably 100 feet from any outlet. My "dremel" is actually a
Black & Decker clone. I found that its power transformer
outputs DC voltage in the range of 12V (plus or minus), so
for portable use I long ago rigged up a plug to power the
tool from a surplus motorcycle battery I happen to have.
That worked well enough for this task.

The biggest frustration was breaking then replacing a couple
of the fragile Dremel abrasive disks.

Professional models are $200 to $800:
https://www.mscdirect.com/industrial...c-grinder.html

The preferred 'catalytic converter acquisition' models are
$39.95 (shopliftable at big box stores).

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 4th 21, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 4 May 2021 14:11:13 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I've played with various picking techniques you mentioned, but didn't
want to advertise the fact. And as I said, I'm not very fast. I thought
rapping might be both inconspicuous and fast, but I couldn't make it work.

Do you recall the Master Lock model number? It will be on the bottom
plate. If it was a model that uses a dual ball bearing locking
mechanism, beating on it with a hammer will not work. Or, see if any
of these videos might have helped:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rapping+master+lock

I have a 120V angle grinder, but the woman's shed was probably 100 feet
from any outlet. My "dremel" is actually a Black & Decker clone. I found
that its power transformer outputs DC voltage in the range of 12V (plus
or minus), so for portable use I long ago rigged up a plug to power the
tool from a surplus motorcycle battery I happen to have. That worked
well enough for this task.

The cordless Dremel hand tools are also 12VDC. Good idea, but I'm
lazy. I have a wooden box with a 12V 35AH(?) AGM battery, 117VAC
charger, 117VAC inverter, and various useful chargers. I keep wanting
to make or buy a LiIon replacement, but have never found an excuse to
spend the money. Maybe when the battery finally dies. The inverter
should run my 117VAC Dremel tools quite nicely.

Incidentally, most of my various gadgets (modem, router/wi-fi,
ethernet switch, Roku, media server, phone chargers, LiIon cell
chargers, small light, etc are running from an 11.1V LiIon battery
pack. If the power goes out, most everything stays up and running. No
UPS needed. I might use it (or a copy) as the basis for a replacement
Dremel power supply. Yet another project.

The biggest frustration was breaking then replacing a couple of the
fragile Dremel abrasive disks.

I know the feeling. It doesn't take much to break the little Dremel
cutting disk. But, the narrow kerf cut makes a few broken disks
worthwhile. Hint: Wear safety glasses.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old May 4th 21, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Nothing's perfect but these are very nicely made and durable:

http://www.professionalsafetysupply....901-280212.htm

Old May 4th 21, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Frank Krygowski writes:

[...]

An 18" bolt cutter will go through a 5/16" Master lock shackle in a
second or less. Long ago I went through dozens at work (keys had
been lost).
Old May 4th 21, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 04 May 2021 14:58:23 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Nothing's perfect but these are very nicely made and durable:
http://www.professionalsafetysupply....901-280212.htm

In genral, a good lock. Difficult to pick due to serrated pins and
spools.

American Lock is owned my Master Lock. After the aquisition, they
proceeded to "cheapen" the entire lineup. What bothered me most was
they changed from a 6 pin to a 5 pin core and the ease with which the
Master version could be bypassed. Master eventually installed a thin
bypass shield, but it too can be bypassed or forced.

"[96] American Lock Series 700 Padlock Picked and Gutted"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt93Earc6is

"(picking 562) American lock 700 - heavy steel padlock with
disappointing build quality"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8scGR7wbbck

"[607] Core Puller vs. American Series 700 Padlock"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xu0q9bKn50

"(46) Review: Peterson American Padlock Bypass Tools"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L9YVE7Fpos

A good video on the quality of Master locks. This is NOT an American
lock but is the new and improved version derived from the American
Lock Series 700 design:
"[52] Master "Magnum" Padlocks Picked and Bypassed"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEOmzZrEs6w
The larger padlock (M930) is mechanically solid and fairly resistant
to forcing, but the core sucks. Notice how the junk core can be
easily replaced by something better.

Please don't ask me which lock is best. I don't have enough
experience to answer the question.
Old May 4th 21, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 04 May 2021 15:19:15 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

More of the same:

"(1285) Master Lock 930XKADLH RAKED Open! (JUNK!)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTf6uxRTvS4
Again the model M930 successor to the American Series 700.

Notice the key bidding/bitting (depth of cut in the key for each pin).
The more expensive locks tend to have a radical bidding, with radical
changes in height between adjacent pins. That makes them difficult to
pick and impossible to rake. The cheaper locks a much less radical
bidding, with minor changes between adjacent pins which is fairly easy
to rake and pick. This is their most secure consumer padlock and it
only has 5 out of 6 pins installed and no security pins. Yech.

Old May 4th 21, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 04 May 2021 17:58:20 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

An 18" bolt cutter will go through a 5/16" Master lock shackle in a
second or less. Long ago I went through dozens at work (keys had
been lost).

You might have some difficulty cutting through the Master Lock Boron
shackle. I also have an 18" bolt cutter (that I carry in my car). I
have little difficult with the smaller shackles, but can't cut a
shielded shackle or the hexagonal boron steel shackles.

However, you bolt cutters are obsolete. What you (and I) need are
hydraulic bolt cutters.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=hydraulic+cutter

"[765] How Tough are Master Lock’s Boron Carbide Shackles?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICudP7-FxVw

"[789] Hydraulic Cutter vs. Bell’s 16mm Shackle Bicycle U-Lock
(Catalytic 750)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nPY7cLu0S4

Hint: Do NOT ride your bicycle through town with a pair of 18" bolt
cutters tied to the rear rack. The police have the irritating habit
of asking far too many questions about the bolt cutters.

Old May 5th 21, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Buy a long extension cord :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 5th 21, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 4 May 2021 06:10:39 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, May 3, 2021 at 5:13:27 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 3 May 2021 11:45:28 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:
I woke up in the middle of the night remembering that I had left my Douglas out on the side of the house because the wind was too strong to go riding yesterday after I had gotten ready to go for a ride. 25 mph ground level winds with stronger gusts hardly makes one want to go riding along side of heavy traffic going 45+ mph.

The side of the house is behind a gate with a master lock on it so it isn't as if there was any serious danger of it being stolen. But worse things have occurred.

Four houses in a three block area here have just been sold by people moving to Republican states where they can earn and keep their money. These houses have ended up in the hands of who knows who since they are rented out to illegal aliens. The City of San Leandro hiring illegal aliens. I suppose to prove how woke they are. But it is going to blow up in their faces then the government shifts and CBP shows up and pulls these people off of their jobs and sends them straight back to where they came from.

Frank and Jay disapprove of America for Americans under their own definitions of what is happening. Anyone is welcome as long as they go through the entry system and under the Democrats there is no system and the illegals that have been here for a decade are now losing their jobs to the new illegals and they are beginning to see the problems. You can even here them supporting the ideas of the Republicans inside of Mexican markets.

I find your tales of illegal immigrants a bit, well, illogical. After
all you bragged about one of your ancestors being an illegal.

I was under the impression that you were in the service of your country and presently are retired from the pay you receive from it? Why do you make every effort to undermine it? You pretend apparently, to not know what the laws were then or now or that they were completely different. You sure must hate the country of your origin.

Yup Tommy 20 years service and yup, I get a retirement. But what does
that have to do with telling the truth? Is the truth somehow
derogatory?

But what does my 20 years in the service of my country have to do with
your stated "fact" that one of your family was an illegal immigrant?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 5th 21, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 4 May 2021 09:20:08 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

wrote:

The side of the house is behind a gate with a master lock on
it so it isn't as if there was any serious danger of it
being stolen.

Master locks are easily picked, raked, bypassed, forced,
or cut. I
suggest you watch a few YouTube videos on whatever model
Master lock
you are using:
https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer/search?query=master

https://www.youtube.com/c/bosnianbill/search?query=master

BTW, we have a friend who went through a divorce. Her
husband took the keys to her shed's padlock. She asked me to
open it for her.

It was a Masterlock. I tried the rapping technique but
wasn't able to make it work. I was SO disappointed! It's
almost like stuff on YouTube can't be trusted!

(I cut the shackle with a Dremel.)

There's a simpler quicker method. Write me.

I guess people think that none of these methods make noise and breaking and entering is a reason for self defense and beating someone to death.

Tommy boy, as the old folks used to say, "You have gone right 'round
the bend".

Frank is talking about a locked shed and you are going on about

faulty IQ Cyo Ian Smith UK 9 January 19th 09 06:32 PM
memories Andre Racing 26 February 28th 08 08:31 PM
Memories of Sheldon Peter Cole Techniques 3 February 6th 08 06:30 PM
Thanks for the memories, Jan gplama[_7_] Australia 16 March 4th 07 11:15 PM
Ah the memories! stuart doc UK 2 October 4th 05 10:25 PM