Riding road bike on an outdoor resilient track?

Old May 5th 21, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Riding road bike on an outdoor resilient track?

Hi there.

Has anyone here ever ridden a road bike, with 25mm or 28mm tires, on a running track with the resilient surface to cushion runners' feet?

If so, how did you find it?

Thanks and cheers
Old May 5th 21, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 11:58:37 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

Has anyone here ever ridden a road bike, with 25mm or 28mm tires, on a running track with the resilient surface to cushion runners' feet?

If so, how did you find it?

It feels like you're riding on cork surface. I think that they had a bicycle track in Fremont that had that cork surface. It didn't seen to slow the track riders up. We would sneak in and ride around that thing. THAT was LONG before anyone rode 25's or 28's. The whole idea is to allow the tires to correct for the uneven road and on smooth surfaces 23 mm tires are quite a bit faster. At that time it seems to me that track bikes were running 18 or 20 mm tires.
Old May 6th 21, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 2:58:37 p.m. UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

Has anyone here ever ridden a road bike, with 25mm or 28mm tires, on a running track with the resilient surface to cushion runners' feet?

If so, how did you find it?

Thanks and cheers

Just for others who may consider this. On a bicycling forum I was told it's NOT a good idea to ride a road bicycle on a resilient surface outdoor running track as the surface could be damaged by the narrow tires. The possibility of damaging the surface was what I was concerned about and why I asked about it.

I miss the old-school asphalt paved tracks.

Cheers
Old May 6th 21, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Thursday, May 6, 2021 at 5:04:24 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, May 5, 2021 at 2:58:37 p.m. UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Hi there.

Has anyone here ever ridden a road bike, with 25mm or 28mm tires, on a running track with the resilient surface to cushion runners' feet?

If so, how did you find it?

Thanks and cheers

Just for others who may consider this. On a bicycling forum I was told it's NOT a good idea to ride a road bicycle on a resilient surface outdoor running track as the surface could be damaged by the narrow tires. The possibility of damaging the surface was what I was concerned about and why I asked about it.

I miss the old-school asphalt paved tracks.

At one time they had a bicycle track that they would set up in an auditorium in Oakland. It was wood. I wonder what became of that?

FA: More bike stuff MTB, Road and Track Gemma_k Marketplace 0 April 1st 05 06:00 AM
FS: Track bike brake lever for road riding Ryan Saylor Marketplace 0 December 8th 04 01:15 AM
riding track bike Ken General 26 September 25th 04 03:05 AM
WANTED: Road Bike, Track Bike, Single Speed, ANY! belikekrista Marketplace 1 September 18th 04 01:33 AM
track fork on road bike w/ road bike geom.? JB Techniques 6 December 27th 03 10:21 PM