[OT] engineer comments please

Old May 14th 21, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default [OT] engineer comments please

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 5:31:12 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/13/2021 9:59 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:03:54 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture†in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I'm not an engineer but that doesn't look like a crack to me; it looks like a break. One side is higher than the other.

Cheers

Good observation.
Still and all how does one make a 900-ft steel object? Even
ship keels are many pieces.

Well. at least Frank has his picture of classic metal fatigue. These sorts of cracks in structural members invariably start at micro inclusions. This bridge has been there for 50 years meaning it was erected in 1970. This was luckily before Chinese steel was used and after the very high quality of steel production after WW II had begun to wain. They are just now replacing rivets on the Golden Gate Bridge. The steel structural members on the Oakland-San Francisco Bay Bridge which Jerry Brown received billions in kickbacks from the Chinese, have all failed already and the bridge is now supported only by the suspension cables which were not properly sealed and have begun to rust.
Old May 14th 21, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op vrijdag 14 mei 2021 om 15:48:13 UTC+2 schreef :
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 8:09:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:03:45 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?

And even more difficulty - transporting the thing :-) A 900 ft.
trailer "

But the photo shows a very large plate apparently bolted (I can see
hex heads) to the left of the break which is likely a doubler over the
splice between two sections of the beam.

Just another example of writers who know not of what they write :-)

But then Jack Higgins, as well as several other authors, refers to the
"Slider" on the top of a Walther PPK :-)

Most people that had half a brain would know that most steel mills take a lot of water and are situated on or near water supplies. They would also know that since that bridge goes over a river that a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams via barges. It would never even occur to a normal brain that someone would move something like that on a road.

They moved a bridge through Rotterdam last week. It will be a temporary bridge during the maintenance of the main bridge. It will be put in place tonight IIRC. Look at the video. Impressive. Boy, we are good here in the Netherlands with this kind of stuff ;-)

https://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/wegen...e-suurhoffbrug

Lou
Old May 14th 21, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2021 10:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a significant fracture in one of two 900-foot
horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'? otherwise how can
a 900 foot beam be made at all?

I don't think "beam" has to imply "continuous." But I suppose whether or
not it ever implies that would depend on context. And in this case,
we're reading what a reporter wrote, so we shouldn't expect precise
technical language.

But for a similar situation, I don't think anyone would object to a
description of a 100 foot guardrail along a roadway, even though such a
thing would be assembled out of 20 foot sections.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 21, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/14/2021 9:48 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Most people that had half a brain would know that most steel mills take a lot of water and are situated on or near water supplies. They would also know that since that bridge goes over a river that a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams via barges. It would never even occur to a normal brain that someone would move something like that on a road.

sigh

Aside from the fact that nobody shipped a 900 foot beam - here's a local
steel mill:

https://goo.gl/maps/5PQ4P9WSDTpVuhpE7

That's one of many that used to exist upstream and down.

Barges never shipped steel on that river.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 21, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Pffff. Old news. http://utcdb.fiu.edu/bridgeitem?id=242 Center span of the Freemont bridge being lifted into place which, at the time, was the heaviest lift in history. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremon...er%20completed.

And no, it is not a continuous beam center span but rather a collection of panels that were assembled on Swan Island and barged into place. .

Now, this bridge carries more cyclists than the entire population of NL! https://media.chatterblock.com/files...one-000f7c.png Take that you Gazelle riding low-landers!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 14th 21, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:44:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/14/2021 9:48 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Most people that had half a brain would know that most steel mills take a lot of water and are situated on or near water supplies. They would also know that since that bridge goes over a river that a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams via barges. It would never even occur to a normal brain that someone would move something like that on a road.

sigh

Aside from the fact that nobody shipped a 900 foot beam - here's a local
steel mill:

https://goo.gl/maps/5PQ4P9WSDTpVuhpE7

That's one of many that used to exist upstream and down.

Barges never shipped steel on that river.

What river Frank? The Mississippi? Tell me how no one ever made 900 foot sections of pipe, or plate. Tell me all about the keels laid down for superclass battleships which were mostly on the East Coast shipyards?
Old May 14th 21, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:45:23 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Panels can be very long because welds or riveting them together makes a weak area. Today they often think that steel reinforced concrete is lower maintenance. Well, I won't have to be around to hear the wailing when they discover different. https://seaonc-assets.s3.amazonaws.c...y-Bridge-1.jpg
Old May 14th 21, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:03:45 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a significant fracture in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?

A beam is also called a girder. It's not one piece. The sections of
the girder are held together by a riveted gusset plate:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gusset_plate
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/research/infrastructure/structures/bridge/14063/index.cfm

Better view of the bridge:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:HernandoDeSoto_Bridge_Pyramid.jpg
The full size image is 9.4MBytes.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/HernandoDeSoto_Bridge_Pyramid.jpg
The break is just to the right of the center of the "M" and is NOT
visible in this photo from May 2015.

Blurry photo copy of the bridge plans showing location of the break:
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2021/05/12/PMCA/0a83a784-bcbf-4aeb-8e37-e45b859086c0-184312076_10157954560002551_2116540412691028081_n. jpg

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old May 14th 21, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/14/2021 10:59 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:44:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/14/2021 9:48 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Most people that had half a brain would know that most steel mills take a lot of water and are situated on or near water supplies. They would also know that since that bridge goes over a river that a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams via barges. It would never even occur to a normal brain that someone would move something like that on a road.

sigh

Aside from the fact that nobody shipped a 900 foot beam - here's a local
steel mill:

https://goo.gl/maps/5PQ4P9WSDTpVuhpE7

That's one of many that used to exist upstream and down.

Barges never shipped steel on that river.

What river Frank? The Mississippi?

No, the one in the photograph I linked. The presence of a river does NOT
imply that "a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams
via barges" as you claimed.

Yes, I know, I've got to stop pointing out your many mistakes. I try to
ignore all but the ones about which I have some specialized knowledge.

I'll try to do better, but you spout so much nonsense that it's
difficult to resist.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 21, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op vrijdag 14 mei 2021 om 16:45:23 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Now, this bridge carries more cyclists than the entire population of NL! https://media.chatterblock.com/files...one-000f7c.png Take that you Gazelle riding low-landers!

-- Jay Beattie.

Ha, Strava calculated 57 m of elevation for my gravel ride along the windmills (under construction):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nTkSksamMBCU3kEo8

along the canals:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzhBS8yFRBJ9LaKb9

and the wet lands:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcqamWsFaUzsLdr68

and I enjoyed every km of it on my titanium gravel bike:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vf4RAy9BvRJkTSq17

Good luck with your busy 4 lane bridge.

Lou