[OT] engineer comments please

Old May 14th 21, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

Default [OT] engineer comments please

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 8:46:16 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/14/2021 10:59 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:44:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/14/2021 9:48 AM, Tom Kunich wrote:

Most people that had half a brain would know that most steel mills take a lot of water and are situated on or near water supplies. They would also know that since that bridge goes over a river that a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams via barges. It would never even occur to a normal brain that someone would move something like that on a road.
sigh

Aside from the fact that nobody shipped a 900 foot beam - here's a local
steel mill:

https://goo.gl/maps/5PQ4P9WSDTpVuhpE7

That's one of many that used to exist upstream and down.

Barges never shipped steel on that river.

What river Frank? The Mississippi?

No, the one in the photograph I linked. The presence of a river does NOT
imply that "a steel mill situated on a river would move capital beams
via barges" as you claimed.

Yes, I know, I've got to stop pointing out your many mistakes. I try to
ignore all but the ones about which I have some specialized knowledge.

I'll try to do better, but you spout so much nonsense that it's
difficult to resist.

And I will not stop pointing out that you have no ****ing idea what they moved on that river and what they did not. Virtually ALL movement of goods before the 1940's was via water or railroads but you're going to tell us that the history of this world is entirely different than it was. Sure you moron, tell us more.
Old May 14th 21, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 9:27:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op vrijdag 14 mei 2021 om 16:45:23 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Now, this bridge carries more cyclists than the entire population of NL! https://media.chatterblock.com/files...one-000f7c.png Take that you Gazelle riding low-landers!

-- Jay Beattie.

Ha, Strava calculated 57 m of elevation for my gravel ride along the windmills (under construction):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nTkSksamMBCU3kEo8

along the canals:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzhBS8yFRBJ9LaKb9

and the wet lands:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcqamWsFaUzsLdr68

and I enjoyed every km of it on my titanium gravel bike:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vf4RAy9BvRJkTSq17

Good luck with your busy 4 lane bridge.

What is your review of the Moots? Is it magical?

-- Jay Beattie
Old May 14th 21, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 12:40:20 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 9:27:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op vrijdag 14 mei 2021 om 16:45:23 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 7:27:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Now, this bridge carries more cyclists than the entire population of NL! https://media.chatterblock.com/files...one-000f7c.png Take that you Gazelle riding low-landers!

-- Jay Beattie.

Ha, Strava calculated 57 m of elevation for my gravel ride along the windmills (under construction):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nTkSksamMBCU3kEo8

along the canals:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jzhBS8yFRBJ9LaKb9

and the wet lands:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HcqamWsFaUzsLdr68

and I enjoyed every km of it on my titanium gravel bike:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vf4RAy9BvRJkTSq17

Good luck with your busy 4 lane bridge.

What is your review of the Moots? Is it magical?

Jay, I know that the conditions in and around Portland are pretty bad, but the idea is to decompress here, not compress more.
Old May 14th 21, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 5/13/21 7:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a significant fracture in one of two 900-foot
horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'? otherwise how can
a 900 foot beam be made at all?

While it's technically possible they surely mixed it up with the span
length of the whole bridge), not the length of an individual steel member.

That sure was an "Oh s..t!" moment for the inspecting bridge worker.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old May 14th 21, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op vrijdag 14 mei 2021 om 21:40:20 UTC+2 schreef jbeattie:
[...]

Magical? No, but it doesn't corrode and it looks like new after I cleaned the bike ;-). Jokes aside, it is very well made and rides wonderful on tarmac and gravel by just changing tyres/wheels. Jay I have unlimited funds for bikes because of circumstances/choices. I am sure that someone in a different situation can have as much fun with a much cheaper bike. That is the honest truth. Fortunately it is a low profile bike and unknown to most people around here. I'm not the show off kind of guy. If I was I would have bought a Pinarello Dogma F12 or another bull **** Italian bike.

Lou
Old May 14th 21, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 14 May 2021 07:31:01 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/13/2021 9:59 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:03:54 p.m. UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture? in one of
two 900-foot horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'?
otherwise how can a 900 foot beam be made at all?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I'm not an engineer but that doesn't look like a crack to me; it looks like a break. One side is higher than the other.

Cheers

Good observation.
Still and all how does one make a 900-ft steel object? Even
ship keels are many pieces.

Well, the railroads build objects: that are miles and miles long and
are one continuous length, no "joint" :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 15th 21, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 12:54:39 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
On 5/13/21 7:03 PM, AMuzi wrote:
https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...3da-story.html

Same phrase as the paywall version which caught my eye:

:...inspectors spotted a “significant fracture” in one of two 900-foot
horizontal steel beams. "

900 foot beam? [Non USAians note that's 275 meters!]

Is that a thing? Maybe welded like 'continuous rail'? otherwise how can
a 900 foot beam be made at all?

While it's technically possible they surely mixed it up with the span
length of the whole bridge), not the length of an individual steel member..

That sure was an "Oh s..t!" moment for the inspecting bridge worker.

Well, it depends on when that bridge was built. After the war with vast resources at hand they could build a full length girder. Before that they would use rivets and plates to connect steel members of a uniform size. Today they weld them together. When I rode across the Golden Gate on Wednesday they were replacing rivets. Man it was so noisy that my ears rang for an hour.
Old May 15th 21, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/14/2021 12:56 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

That river's about three miles from me. I crossed it every day going to
work, whether I biked or drove. We crossed it twice on today's ride.
I've ridden every road that crosses it from its source to where its
water enters the Ohio River. I've also kayaked and canoed on the river.

Until recently it had about six low-head dams along it within city
limits. The dams were installed by the steel companies to ensure a
sufficient supply of water. Government agencies are now removing those
dams one by one so the river can flush itself clean of steel-era pollutants.

Tom, maybe you can explain how one uses a barge to ship steel past a
concrete dam that stretches bank to bank. Or how a barge negotiates the
spots where paddlers have their kayaks scrape bottom.

Quit making a fool of yourself.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 15th 21, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/14/2021 6:29 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2021 07:31:01 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Still and all how does one make a 900-ft steel object? Even
ship keels are many pieces.

Well, the railroads build objects: that are miles and miles long and
are one continuous length, no "joint" :-)

They're not typically extremely long. Around here, maybe 30 feet
sections seem to be typical. Thermit welding is used to assemble them on
site.

https://jalopnik.com/watch-the-fasci...-to-1786586635

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 15th 21, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, May 14, 2021 at 9:04:45 p.m. UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

If Tom ever stopped posting here this newsgroup would be very, very, quiet since the vast majority of posts are either from Tom or from those arguing/correcting him.

Cheers