Las Vegas to Hoover Dam Bike Routes ??

Old November 23rd 04, 02:55 AM
Ravi

Default Las Vegas to Hoover Dam Bike Routes ??

Hi guys,
i would be in Las Vegas during this weekend and plan to do some road
rides there - i need some routes - i did visit
http://www.lasvegascentury.org/maps.php and got some good routes to Red
Canyon and Lake Mead.

I am looking at riding to Hoover Dam and back and I see Hwy 93 goes all
the way till hoover dam. Is it safe to ride on Hwy 93 ? any alternatives
are most welcome - i can survive some degree of climbs if any.

thanks,
+ravi
Old November 30th 04, 07:37 PM
Ravi

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26). It was pretty good.
The route i took is based on the 110 Mile route map from
http://www.lasvegascentury.org/maps.php

regd, the route to hoover dam:
Get on Hwy 93 (East) from Las Vegas - continue on towards Boulder City -
go thru Boulder City and after crossing the entrance to the Lake Mead
Rec. Area (on the left), continue straight on Hwy 93 towards hoover dam.
The route is a little hilly, but not too bad, few climbs and more
descents to get to the dam. The shoulders is pretty decent - sometimes
it is narrow, in that case take the lane..

note: when i was on Hwy 93 at around 2pm on the long weekend, there was
a backup of traffic extending from almost 4 miles before the dam... so
do expect some slow traffic before the dam. And i did not go beyond the
dam... so not sure how it is beyond that point - but there sure is some
sustained climbs. return route is also about teh same - but more climbs
and few descents. On the return, I took right turn into the Lake Mead
Rec. Area.

PS: i shall try and do a small write up of my entire ride and post it
here - i have gotten some pics as well.

thanks,
+ravi

Old December 3rd 04, 12:04 AM
Chuck Anderson

Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26).

I can't help but ask. Why Black Friday?

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old December 3rd 04, 06:41 AM
Janet

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26).

I can't help but ask. Why Black Friday?

My guess is that he realizes there's something better to do than get up
at 3AM to get in line to be the first one in a store where you'll get
trampled by all the other "early bird" shoppers who otherwise don't have
a life...... ;-)

Janet

Old December 6th 04, 04:41 AM
Mike Kruger

Chuck Anderson wrote:
Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26).

I can't help but ask. Why Black Friday?

Why not? It's a lot safer thing to your mental and financial
health to go on a a bike ride that day.

--
Mike Kruger
Too many people spend money they haven't earned

Old December 6th 04, 05:34 AM
Chuck Anderson

Mike Kruger wrote:

Chuck Anderson wrote:

Ravi wrote:

Hi,
I did this ride on the Black Friday (Nov 26).

I can't help but ask. Why Black Friday?

Why not? It's a lot safer thing to your mental and financial
health to go on a a bike ride that day.

That's not what I was asking.

Since when is Friday Nov 26th called Black Friday? What makes that day
be called Black Friday?

I think the big depression began on Black Thursday. I know what Bloody
Sunday is.

What is Black Friday?

--
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO