Red Menace 36 update

Old October 25th 07, 08:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Cliffacer Le Fall

Default Red Menace 36 update

Are the disc brake and sprocket at hub cold connected? It almost looks
like screw heads or rivets protruding from the break side. Is the hub
stock, or modified stock- or custom built? Are the multiple holes in
the gear cage to accommodate different sized gears, or for tensioning?
Your tolerances are sooooo tight. Beautiful, beautiful work- like a
giant clock.

--
Cliffacer Le Fall
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 27th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Yet another year goes by, and yet another bump!

Geared riding has really taken off in the past year or so... Gigahats
off to Unisk8r for making something so awesome... it's a pretty huge
contribution. Even if it's only one, it proves it's totally possible and
doable... gives us something to look forward to.

I've always heard stories about the Red Menace, but for some reason I
never found this thread until now. It's quite breathtakingly beautiful!!

Would it be possible to make it be able to disengage the jackshaft
drivetrain and re-engage a 1-1 lock-in to make the cranks lock directly
to the hub, to enable shifting between 1:1 and whatever gear ratio is
selected? Seeing how the Schlumpf hub shifts its drive plate thing back
and forth between the planet carrier and the hub housing, I don't see
why it wouldn't be possible with this design, either, but I could be
missing something important. To make this shiftable back to 1:1 would be
absolutely epic.

And UniSk8r, though I don't know your name (my name is Chuck, btw ),
would it be possible for me to come to Redmond some time to ride your
unicycle? I don't know offhand when I'd be free to come up, but I
really, really, REALLY would like to, if you'd let me. I've been wanting
for quite some time now to ride something geared higher than 1.5, and
this looks, quite frankly, amazing.

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old November 27th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

chuckaeronut;1138957 wrote:
And UniSk8r, though I don't know your name (my name is Chuck, btw ),
would it be possible for me to come to Redmond some time to ride your
unicycle? I don't know offhand when I'd be free to come up, but I
really, really, REALLY would like to, if you'd let me.

If you decide to head up this way Chuck, give us enough notice to plan
a decent group distance ride. Probably we could turn out all the RTL
Puget Sounders, as I think Joe is probably just about ready to get back
on the horse (if he hasn't already), and we could easily get another
handful of locals to come along.

Lots of low traffic farm roads around here, where there will be little
risk of you getting pulled over for speeding.

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...
Old November 27th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Hahahahahaaa, riiight :-p

Yeah, I'd love to come up some time. Pretty much as soon as I get my
motorcycle frame augmented to hold my uni rack. Then I can do an
Ironbutt ride and another half an ironbutt the day after, and I'll be in
Washington! Ugh, that'll be a long ride. But it'll be sooo cheap! About
$60 worth of gas to get to Seattle from San Diego!

What if it was in mid to late December? Is that enough time? I have
family all around the Seattle area, and in Spokane, and some other
places as well, so I could make it a quadruple whammy trip, with some
2-wheelin', one-wheelin' and family-seein'... and hopefully some
mega-geared one-wheelin' too

Edit: w00t, 300th post!!

Old November 27th 08, 07:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

chuckaeronut;1139021 wrote:
About $60 worth of gas to get to Seattle from San Diego!

Hey Chuck, y'know Corbin got a Prius, and that got us to SD and back
for only about $50 in gas. We should all pile into that thing and do an
extended weekend in Seattle, eh?

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
Old November 27th 08, 10:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Yeah! Then I'd only ride up to there, and we could all hop in for a much
more comfortable and social 900 miles. This should be something to think
about...

Sorry for the threadjack, by the way; this isn't a thread that should
get jacked.

I'd really love to ride this unicycle at some point, even if only for a
couple of minutes... but this is getting more about a trip up north.
Maybe we should go to PMs?

Old November 27th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicycle-Emele

Please post a vid. It would be awesome to see it in action. Also, have
you tried it with a bike saddle?

--
Unicycle-Emele

Any unicyclist in Westchester County, NY 'pm '
(http://tinyurl.com/6xu626)me.
'My video' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=cvBUcQ9QL_8)
'Other Vid' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9_j_UFiv3sY)
'newest vid' (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ReFi44k2lgY)

maestro8 wrote:
I'd rather watch you gas, brake, dip, dip.

Old November 28th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

chuckaeronut;1138957 wrote:
Would it be possible to make it be able to disengage the jackshaft
drivetrain and re-engage a 1-1 lock-in to make the cranks lock directly
to the hub, to enable shifting between 1:1 and whatever gear ratio is
selected?

Wow, why didn't anyone think of that sooner? That is an awesome idea
Chuck.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

And I love the brilliant simplicity of the jack shaft design.

--
saskatchewanian
Old November 28th 08, 06:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

it would be a little complicated, but i've just imagined a reasonable
design engage-able and disengage-able with simple allen screws, so no
shift-on-the-fly, but still reasonable.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old November 28th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tomblackwood

maestro8;1139027 wrote:
Hey Chuck, y'know Corbin got a Prius, and that got us to SD and back for
only about $50 in gas. We should all pile into that thing and do an
extended weekend in Seattle, eh?

This thread just gets better and better. With a car, you could toss
some munis on the roof, and we could mix up the offroad and geared
distance stuff. Some good muddy muni that time of year. Just an FYI,
if you target December, bring some long-johns and water-resistant riding
gear. There's a much better chance that the multi-day forecast will be
back-to-back rain than back-to-back sun.

And then, there's always the 'Chilly Hilly'
(http://www.cascade.org/EandR/chilly/index.cfm).

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...