My crack is stuck in the crack.

Old December 3rd 04, 07:46 PM
Steve Knight

Default My crack is stuck in the crack.

I had to come up with a good line (G) I have a burley limbo and my butt hangs
in the gap between the seat and the back. I have the seat back on it's rails as
far as it will go and the back tight as possible. But my rear gets sore with
that gap.
It may be partly my sit bones hurting. As I loose weight they hurt sitting even
on padding. I had the seat perfect for them but once I lost more weight they
hurt again. I don't think much will help with this till I loose more weight. But
the gap needs some help.
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...sory=983911349 this may
help but it is pretty expensive. Any other idea's?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old December 3rd 04, 09:29 PM
Edward Dolan

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
I had to come up with a good line (G) I have a burley limbo and my butt
hangs
in the gap between the seat and the back. I have the seat back on it's
rails as
far as it will go and the back tight as possible. But my rear gets sore
with
that gap.
It may be partly my sit bones hurting. As I loose weight they hurt sitting
even
on padding. I had the seat perfect for them but once I lost more weight
they
hurt again. I don't think much will help with this till I loose more
weight. But
the gap needs some help.
http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/...sory=983911349 this
may
help but it is pretty expensive. Any other idea's?

I got a kick out of your post Steve. I too do not have much padding in my
derriere. The recumbent seats that are comfortable for me right out of the
box are few and far between. I usually have to modify them with lots of foam
padding in order to get comfy. On the other hand, I know innumerable
cyclists who are never uncomfortable on any kind of bike seat. I have noted
that those types have rumps like elephants. Hells Bells, they could be
sitting on bare plywood planks, or a fence rail for that matter, and they
would never feel a thing.

Steve, layer is some high quality foam from the top of the seat back to the
front of the seat base and you will eventually get some comfort. The main
problem with the Limbo is that you can't really get the seat laid back much
and so you have a fairly upright sitting position on the bike. The beauty of
my Vision is that I can really get the seat laid back sufficiently to get
the weight off of my butt.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Old December 4th 04, 02:21 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

Steve, layer is some high quality foam from the top of the seat back to the
front of the seat base and you will eventually get some comfort....

A lighter (and possibly less expensive) alternative would be some folder
bubble wrap. Been there, done that.

--
Tom Sherman - Rock Island County Illinois
Tetrahedral carbon lattices are not forever.

Old December 4th 04, 02:48 AM
Christopher Jordan

Steve Knight wrote in message . . Any other idea's?

Maybe a wheelchair back support (I have one on my TT since it has no
lumbar support). It has the wrap-around belt for adjusting.

I swear by bunjee straps. Maybe several of those small ones from
almost any hardwae strore would help! Like -wwwwwwww

Or Zip Ties?

Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.
Old December 4th 04, 05:20 AM
Steve Knight

Steve, layer is some high quality foam from the top of the seat back to the
front of the seat base and you will eventually get some comfort....

A lighter (and possibly less expensive) alternative would be some folder
bubble wrap. Been there, done that.

I had thought of foam and bubblewrap. foam would be bad in rainy weather though
and I thought the bubble wrap would pop but maybe not.

I had seen that seat and I am thinking about it. But after spending 166 on my
lake winter shoes it has to wait (G)
I was playing around today and found if I sit up the gap is not a problem. So I
was thinking that since the seat fills best if it is slightly nose up what if I
could adjust the seat tilt then get the back more vertical? We'll I found the
seat can tilt up just fine. So I tilted it up and then tilted the seat back up
and that helped a lot. Sit bones are not different but the crack is not an
issue.
Now here is the weird thing. I felt a bit cramped like that (maybe just not
used to it?) so I checked the seat distance and it seemed right. Though my
knee's don't straighten as much as I am used too. But get this since I got the
bike my rpm's were 10 lower then normal. Even after 15 years off a bike I was
right at 80 when I got back on my road bike. But on the bent 70 felt like 80. I
had a hard time getting it to 80 and I could not really keep it there.
Now I have been sick off and on since I had the bike so I thought it was that
though it was not an issue on the road bike.
But here I am going 80 and it feels normal at that rpm. Plus I was going maybe
2mph faster then I had been slugging along.
I would work harder and not get as winded. Though lately I had only averaged
8.1 to 9.1 mph while sick. Today I got 9.1 but I also went ½ mile longer and
that was up hill mostly. And I was dragging an empty trailer behind me. So I
guess I was doing better
but I had run out of steam so that caused some slowing about 3/4 of the way.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old December 4th 04, 05:23 AM
Steve Knight

I got a kick out of your post Steve. I too do not have much padding in my
derriere. The recumbent seats that are comfortable for me right out of the
box are few and far between. I usually have to modify them with lots of foam
padding in order to get comfy. On the other hand, I know innumerable
cyclists who are never uncomfortable on any kind of bike seat.

I could never find a seat that was would not atleast hurt my crotch in my
wedgie.I think the only solution was to go more upright.
but the rain is what has stopped me from playing around. I need something that
won't get real soggy with use. when it is 35 or 40 and your back and butt is wet
it would be no fun.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes