Really COLD and WET: what do you wear on your legs?

Old November 6th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Default Really COLD and WET: what do you wear on your legs?

I've got the upper body figured out. But once it gets wet AND too cold
for just short and leg warmers, I don't know what to do.

Are tights sufficiently warm? Do I need those loose, lined "rain"
pants? What do you prefer?

Thanks,
\\p
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old November 6th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bluezfolk

On Nov 6, 12:58*am, "Paul M. Hobson" wrote:
I've got the upper body figured out. *But once it gets wet AND too cold
for just short and leg warmers, I don't know what to do.

Are tights sufficiently warm? *Do I need those loose, lined "rain"
pants? *What do you prefer?

Thanks,
\\p
--
Paul M. Hobson
.:change the f to ph to reply:.

Personally, if its to cold or wet for tights, I don't ride. Usually
in my area (Long Island NY) it dosen't get to wet and cold that often,
when it does I just rely on running to keep in shape.

Eric
Old November 6th 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Paul M. Hobson wrote:
I've got the upper body figured out. But once it gets wet AND too cold
for just short and leg warmers, I don't know what to do.

Are tights sufficiently warm? Do I need those loose, lined "rain"
pants? What do you prefer?

Thanks,
\\p

Cold & wet is the hardest to dress for. I like rain pants, I usually
wear unlined ones over tights. I find it more flexible to have separate
layers for waterproof & insulation. That said, when on fast rides, I use
rain knickers, sometimes with waterproof booties, to avoid the lower leg
flapping. For really slow rides, capes work well, but need fenders --
which are a big help in the rain no matter what you wear.
Old November 6th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Cold & wet is the hardest to dress for. I like rain pants, I usually
wear unlined ones over tights. I find it more flexible to have separate
layers for waterproof & insulation. That said, when on fast rides, I use
rain knickers, sometimes with waterproof booties, to avoid the lower leg
flapping. For really slow rides, capes work well, but need fenders --
which are a big help in the rain no matter what you wear.

I definitely have the fenders (on both bikes). I can see already I
didn't accurately convey my ignorance on how tights peform/work/are
meant to be used. Could you post a link to these rain knickers?

Are long tights warmer than or roughly "equal" to shorts + leg warmers?
Are they meant to be worn over shorts and leg warmers, alone, either way?

To put it another way (JAY BEATTIE and the PAC NW crew): What do you
wear on your legs over the winter when it's in the 30's (deg. F) and wet?

Work provides ample bike facilities, so changing isn't an issue.

Thanks,
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old November 6th 08, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Paul M. Hobson" wrote:

I've got the upper body figured out. But once it gets wet AND too cold
for just short and leg warmers, I don't know what to do.

Are tights sufficiently warm? Do I need those loose, lined "rain"
pants? What do you prefer?

Thanks,
\\p

Wet sucks, but the cold is limited by the freezing point of water.

Around here, I don't think of it as ever getting too cold for shorts and
leg warmers, but I would recommend tights over looser rain pants.
Flapping is a drag, and can cool you off.

I used to have a set of semi-tight rain pants that were wind-stop
material on the front, and synthetic fleece behind that and on the back.

The problem was that in really wet weather and a 3-hour ride, they
waterlogged and sagged. It actually got hard to ride in them because
they were slipping down!

Before I went to loose pants, I would go to doubled layers: shorts under
tights, or knee warmers.

Old November 6th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Peter Cole wrote:
Cold & wet is the hardest to dress for. I like rain pants, I usually
wear unlined ones over tights. I find it more flexible to have
separate layers for waterproof & insulation. That said, when on fast
rides, I use rain knickers, sometimes with waterproof booties, to
avoid the lower leg flapping. For really slow rides, capes work well,
but need fenders -- which are a big help in the rain no matter what
you wear.

I definitely have the fenders (on both bikes). I can see already I
didn't accurately convey my ignorance on how tights peform/work/are
meant to be used. Could you post a link to these rain knickers?

I make my own. I cut off bottoms of rain pants to make "rain shorts"
(warm weather), or cut them below the knee & add velcro. Being very
tall, sometimes I just get too short long pants and wear them as knickers.

Are long tights warmer than or roughly "equal" to shorts + leg warmers?
Are they meant to be worn over shorts and leg warmers, alone, either way?

I like "4-way" stretch fleece for my heavy tights (Polartec). I find it
has a very comfortable range and holds little water. Much warmer than
typical leg warmers. I always wear tights over bike shorts, then perhaps
rain knickers over that. I never bother with leg warmers any more, I
have several pairs of tights in various thicknesses and lengths
(knicker/full).

http://mysite.verizon.net/~peter_cole/ice5.jpg

I've tried "breathe-able" pants (Gore-tex, Activent) without much luck,
they're expensive and tend to wear out fast in the seat. I just buy
cheap ones now and expect some condensation.
Old November 6th 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Cole wrote:
[...]

you need to look at the fabic materials- polypropolene, thermax and
such. Each have their own properties advantages and disadvantages.
Polypropolene is great when wet and form fitting; it can get too hot
though. Themax tights are fairly good for rainrides; they are slicker
than polypropolene so if you wipe out in a curve you might find
yourself sliding along the wet pavement. polypro will shred more and
might chaff a bit too; but if you are going out for a few hours you
want to be warm, because if you are wet but warm you'll be ok, but
cold and wet forget it; especially if you have a mechanical or out in
the boonies
Old November 6th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Nov 5, 11:58*pm, "Paul M. Hobson" wrote:
I've got the upper body figured out. *But once it gets wet AND too cold
for just short and leg warmers, I don't know what to do.

Are tights sufficiently warm? *Do I need those loose, lined "rain"
pants? *What do you prefer?

In the PNW, and in gloomy Scandinavia you can have parts of the year
where it's time to just get a transit pass and thermos. ;-) At least
in the midwest it freezes so you can ice bike.

Old November 6th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On Nov 6, 10:11*am, Peter Cole wrote:
Paul M. Hobson wrote:
I've got the upper body figured out. *But once it gets wet AND too cold
for just short and leg warmers, I don't know what to do.

Are tights sufficiently warm? *Do I need those loose, lined "rain"
pants? *What do you prefer?

Thanks,
\\p

Cold & wet is the hardest to dress for. I like rain pants, I usually
wear unlined ones over tights. I find it more flexible to have separate
layers for waterproof & insulation. That said, when on fast rides, I use
rain knickers, sometimes with waterproof booties, to avoid the lower leg
flapping. For really slow rides, capes work well, but need fenders --
which are a big help in the rain no matter what you wear.

My latest ones (silicone treated nylon outer shell) have a mesh lining
that not only keeps it from sticking to your legs, but seems to
improve their warmth in cold weather. Not too too hot in medium
weather either, though definitely not summer weight.

They're hiking pants, not bike specific. In the dead of winter,
they're usually on sale.
Old November 6th 08, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Helmut Springer

Paul M. Hobson wrote:
I've got the upper body figured out. But once it gets wet AND too
cold for just short and leg warmers, I don't know what to do.

How cold? Below freezing WET typically isn't much of a problem.

Are tights sufficiently warm?

Obviously depends on tights and your comfort zone. There are
thicker material (often marketed as Super Roubaix or similar) and
windstopper ones, which for me work fine. If long and heavy rain
soaking them is an issue you might look for tights with waterproof
frontside.

If you keep your upper body and feet warm, legs typically aren't so
much of a problem.

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei