Rear view morrors

Old October 24th 04, 01:25 PM
Joseph

Default Rear view morrors

Hello there
Could anyone offer advice on the pros and cons of helmet rear view mirrors
v handle bar mirrors.
Joseph

Old October 25th 04, 08:59 PM
Jack Russell

Joseph wrote:
Hello there
Could anyone offer advice on the pros and cons of helmet rear view mirrors
v handle bar mirrors.
Joseph

I found helmet mirrors difficult to get on with, you have to learn to
not turn your head to look in them! I "always" use a handlebar mirror.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell
Old October 25th 04, 11:31 PM
aeek

Joseph Wrote:
Hello there
Could anyone offer advice on the pros and cons of helmet rear view
mirrors
v handle bar mirrors.
Joseph

Its hard to get a handlebar mirror that isn't curved making vehicles
look further away and limitting their range - bad for the open road.
They need to be kept loose enough to adjust but then high speed (70)
wind drag put them out. Never used a hemet mirrror.

--
aeek

Old October 26th 04, 01:19 AM
Mike

Joseph wrote:
Hello there
Could anyone offer advice on the pros and cons of helmet rear view mirrors
v handle bar mirrors.

I tried both, and much prefer helmet-mount.
- less drag
- less likely to get moved or damaged when "parking".
- wider view, and can turn head to see more.
- works from all riding positions. You can only adjust the handlebar
mirror for one viewpoint.

The convex mirrors give a wider view, but you can't see very far.
Old October 26th 04, 01:30 AM
giantbike

Since I tried the helmet mirror some 7 years back and it stays on m
helmet ever since.Except when I am in the bunch ride and it is the onl
time I take it off.About the handle bar mirror, I found its vision i
effected by the road vibrations and sometimes hard to make out what i
is happening behind

--
giantbike

Old October 26th 04, 02:11 AM
Tamyka Bell

Jack Russell wrote:

Joseph wrote:
Hello there
Could anyone offer advice on the pros and cons of helmet rear view mirrors
v handle bar mirrors.
Joseph

I found helmet mirrors difficult to get on with, you have to learn to
not turn your head to look in them! I "always" use a handlebar mirror.

--
Remove norubbish to reply direct

Jack Russell

I *always* shoulder check. Even if you use the mirror, you need to
shoulder check anyway... and unlike in a car, with a little turn of your
head each way you can see the full 360 deg.
Old October 26th 04, 02:42 AM
Marx SS

I get scared when I see a cyclist checking his mirror(s), usuall
happens just before they swing out in front of me.
But I’ve never used mirrors on my bicycles, so I can’t comment really
I regard them like sidestands on a bicycle, I don’t think I fall int
that demographic

--
Marx SS

Old October 26th 04, 02:59 AM
Evan

Joseph wrote:
Hello there
Could anyone offer advice on the pros and cons of helmet rear view mirrors
v handle bar mirrors.

I tried a helmet mounted mirror, for me it didn't work, maybe I should
have tried a few. From what I remember the feild of vision was too small
and I had trouble seeing the right area.

On my MTB I use a cat eye bar end mirror mounted on a cat eye mounting
clamp from a spare light. I'd be lost without it.

see
http://tinyurl.com/5m2c9/bike mirror 1.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/5m2c9/bike mirror 2.jpg

This mirror is meant to be mounted on the right side bar end with the
mirror above the bar. You can get right side and left side mirrors. If
you buy from an Aus. shop they'll probably have right side one, US shops
will have leftside ones. They differ in which side the wide part of the
mirror is on, you should have the wide side to the outside, in my case,
because I mount mine below the handle bar I should have a left side
mirror. In practice it makes little difference.

If you have standard barend's it will interfere with them.You can try
moving the mirror to below the bar which would alleviate the problem
somewhat. I have cane creek ergo II barends which dont have a "thru
hole", therefore I can't mount anything outside the barend.

I've got gripshifters, my mount wouldn't work with rapidfire shifter etc.

Addressing some of the previous posters concerns.

- Vibration: never noticed any.
- Limited range due to the convex mirror: I'm not too worried about
anything that far away.
- Damaged in parking: Not where I currently mount it. I did once have a
blackburn mirror that sort of strapped to the bar, that eventually broke
after "leaning" it against one to many solid objects.
Old October 26th 04, 05:25 AM
Bob Chambers

A glasses person, I've used a third eye glasses mirror for some years and
swear by it. If I'm wearing a jacket I find it is partially obsured with
the jacket flopping in the wind, and if riding into the sun, I can't see a
thing, but then under those conditions, I'm also taking the road surface
ahead on trust!

Bob Chambers
u...

Old October 26th 04, 07:11 AM