Cycle-path racing

Old September 25th 08, 11:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Default Cycle-path racing

Like many other people, whenever I get overtaken whilst commuting on
the cycle path I consider it to be a challenge to my dignity and
incitement to race. I call it "competitive spirit", my wife refers to
it as "bloody stupidity".

Anyway, I scored a win last night against a bloke about 10 years
younger than me, riding a MTB. This morning while I was still
enjoying the glow of my victory, I was comprehensively crushed by a
sweet young thing on a road bike. I say "comprehensively" because I
was working my arse off trying to reclose the rapidly-opening gap
between us, but she appeared totally unaware that a race was in
progress.

It appears a little humility will suit me better! ;-)

BTH
Old September 26th 08, 12:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle
theo

On Sep 26, 6:55*am, BT Humble wrote:
Like many other people, whenever I get overtaken whilst commuting on
the cycle path I consider it to be a challenge to my dignity and
incitement to race. *I call it "competitive spirit", my wife refers to
it as "bloody stupidity".

Anyway, I scored a win last night against a bloke about 10 years
younger than me, riding a MTB. *This morning while I was still
enjoying the glow of my victory, I was comprehensively crushed by a
sweet young thing on a road bike. *I say "comprehensively" because I
was working my arse off trying to reclose the rapidly-opening gap
between us, but she appeared totally unaware that a race was in
progress.

It appears a little humility will suit me better! ;-)

Listen to your wife Ben. :-)

Theo
Old September 26th 08, 02:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"BT Humble" wrote in message
Like many other people, whenever I get overtaken whilst commuting on
the cycle path I consider it to be a challenge to my dignity and
incitement to race. I call it "competitive spirit", my wife refers to
it as "bloody stupidity".

Anyway, I scored a win last night against a bloke about 10 years
younger than me, riding a MTB. This morning while I was still
enjoying the glow of my victory, I was comprehensively crushed by a
sweet young thing on a road bike. I say "comprehensively" because I
was working my arse off trying to reclose the rapidly-opening gap
between us, but she appeared totally unaware that a race was in
progress.

Ahh, but a large part of that game is to pretend you're not aware of the
person behind you but secretly you're busting a gut.
She knew you were there.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old September 26th 08, 02:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Andrew Priest

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 01:37:35 GMT, "OzCableguy"
Ahh, but a large part of that game is to pretend you're not aware of the
person behind you but secretly you're busting a gut.
She knew you were there.

That is what Zefal Spy Mirrors are for ...

Andrew
-----
Churchlands, Western Australia
2008 Look 555; 2007 Giant CRX Trange 5 Roadie; 2008 Giant XTC 2
http://aushiker.com
Old September 26th 08, 04:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

OzCableguy wrote:
"BT Humble" wrote in message

Like many other people, whenever I get overtaken whilst commuting on
the cycle path I consider it to be a challenge to my dignity and
incitement to race. *I call it "competitive spirit", my wife refers to
it as "bloody stupidity".

Anyway, I scored a win last night against a bloke about 10 years
younger than me, riding a MTB. *This morning while I was still
enjoying the glow of my victory, I was comprehensively crushed by a
sweet young thing on a road bike. *I say "comprehensively" because I
was working my arse off trying to reclose the rapidly-opening gap
between us, but she appeared totally unaware that a race was in
progress.

Ahh, but a large part of that game is to pretend you're not aware of the
person behind you but secretly you're busting a gut.
She knew you were there.

Well, either way I was trounced. ;-)

BTH
Old September 26th 08, 04:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
!!::!!::

As a rider of an MTB with slicks, I urge you to ignore any advice given here
and continue to follow the instinctive male urge to race. Any passing
manouvere should be considered "game on".
And keep smiling either way !
Steve.

Old September 26th 08, 04:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Moike

BT Humble wrote:
Like many other people, whenever I get overtaken whilst commuting on
the cycle path I consider it to be a challenge to my dignity and
incitement to race. I call it "competitive spirit", my wife refers to
it as "bloody stupidity".

Anyway, I scored a win last night against a bloke about 10 years
younger than me, riding a MTB. This morning while I was still
enjoying the glow of my victory, I was comprehensively crushed by a
sweet young thing on a road bike. I say "comprehensively" because I
was working my arse off trying to reclose the rapidly-opening gap
between us, but she appeared totally unaware that a race was in
progress.

It appears a little humility will suit me better! ;-)

BTH

Now you know how I felt when you 'cruised' away with a full set of
camping gear on the back of your 'inexpensive' bike.

Moike

Old September 26th 08, 10:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-09-26, OzCableguy (aka Bruce)
"BT Humble" wrote in message
Anyway, I scored a win last night against a bloke about 10 years
younger than me, riding a MTB. This morning while I was still
enjoying the glow of my victory, I was comprehensively crushed by a
sweet young thing on a road bike. I say "comprehensively" because I
was working my arse off trying to reclose the rapidly-opening gap
between us, but she appeared totally unaware that a race was in
progress.

Ahh, but a large part of that game is to pretend you're not aware of the
person behind you but secretly you're busting a gut.
She knew you were there.

As much as I hated cyclingforums, I miss the likes of cfsmtb, who
would pipe up now with her story of overtaking some guy on her
panniered up heavy bike, busting a gut, and turning off in some side
street and hiding for several minutes trying to get her breath back.

--
TimC
Theoretically one might have been wearing pants at work.
Old September 26th 08, 10:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2008-09-26, Moike (aka Bruce)
BT Humble wrote:
Anyway, I scored a win last night against a bloke about 10 years
younger than me, riding a MTB. This morning while I was still
enjoying the glow of my victory, I was comprehensively crushed by a
sweet young thing on a road bike. I say "comprehensively" because I
was working my arse off trying to reclose the rapidly-opening gap
between us, but she appeared totally unaware that a race was in
progress.

It appears a little humility will suit me better! ;-)

Now you know how I felt when you 'cruised' away with a full set of
camping gear on the back of your 'inexpensive' bike.

Roger (70+ years old) from MBTC with his dog in his trailer, going
uphill while all I had was a light pannier. Overtaking me.

--
TimC
"Some people think that noise abatement should be a higher priority for ATC. I

Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path? [email protected] UK 184 February 15th 07 07:59 PM
I must try this on the local cycle path [email protected] Australia 3 September 6th 06 10:33 AM
If you're on this cycle path iakobski UK 21 October 20th 05 07:07 PM
Went on a cycle path today Simonb UK 19 July 26th 04 06:20 AM
Want to use the new cycle path? You need a pass! David Martin UK 4 July 20th 04 04:30 PM