1/4 drive hex bits

Old April 13th 12, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default 1/4 drive hex bits

On 4/12/2012 1:34 PM, Joe Riel wrote:

If I were really cheap, I'd just saw some old hex keys and use them
with my 1/4 drive sockets. Suppose I could epoxy them into some
cheap regular sockets and be happy. The Snap-On's are nice to look at,
but a bit steep for me. Thanks for the ideas. I'll try Sears.

ACE HARDWARE 12 PC. 1/4" DRIVE HEX BIT SOCKET SET ,Set includes: 5/32",
3/16", 7/32", 1/4", 5/16", 3/8" and 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 7mm, 8mm & 10mm
,Chrome vanadium steel

$18 at Amazon
Old April 13th 12, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

WHOA here's one

http://store.space.com/gifts-gadgets...ign=star-pizza
Old April 13th 12, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

A WORD FROM BONDHUS

http://www.bondhus.com/metallurgy/body-1.htm
Old April 13th 12, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

AMAZIN' INTERNET

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output...w=1152&bih=666

Old April 13th 12, 05:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:18:41 PM UTC-6, datakoll wrote:
AMAZIN' INTERNET

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output...w=1152&bih=666

YEAH BOUGHT 2 (TWO) LONG BALL END bONDHOS from THE THIRD HAND. Two ? partly solves finding one. One magnets to Nubach's cargo partition wall.

a third Hand catalog stores at 40 degress in a nitrogen rich atmosphere
OUAT the 3 hand ctalog told all one needed to know abt cycle mechanics.

once again we weep at its passing.
Old April 13th 12, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

AMuzi wrote:
avid Scheidt wrote:
:
: Well, most of them have set screws[1], so that you can replace (or have
: the snap on dealer) replace the hex key when it gets chewed up.
:
: [1] might be roll pins, I'm not near one.
:
:

:Right, it's a roll pin.

:Yes, SnapOn is hugely expensive and yes, that hurts a bit at
urchase, especially replacing tools which have walked away.
:But they know what they are about; materials, design and
:finish are at amazingly high levels and the value is obvious
:to me.

Eh. While I have over $10,000 worth of Snap-Off tools, there are
quite a bunch of them I wouldn't consider worth the money. 1/4 drive
hex bits fit that catagory. One of the things you pay for when you
buy snap on stuff is the dealer support. If you're a shop, he comes
to you, replaces your broken stuff, offers attractive financing, and
so on. If you're not a shop, you don't get that (unless you spend
lots of money), and it's hard to justify the expense. On the other
hand, some of the tools really are worth their price. And some, if
they're the right tool for what you want to do, are worth a whole lot
more. (They sell a radiator hose pick that's designed for getting the
hoses off chyrsler minivan heater cores. It saves 20 or 30 minutes
every time it's used. You work flat rate, you work on those, it pays
for itself real fast.)

--
This is not a randomly numbered sig.
Old April 13th 12, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

AMuzi wrote:
Joe Riel wrote:
AMuzi writes:

datakoll wrote:
what type saw ?
Big!

http://rick.sparber.org/Steam%20Show...l/P8140062.JPG

A hacksaw works. I've done it before when I needed
to get a wrench on an allan head bolt. That was, I think,
a 6 mm.

To shorten a hex key of any quality, nick it on two faces with a
grindwheel, mount in vise, pull with a wrench until it snaps, finish
edges as required. Even a mid grade hex key is harder than your average
hacksaw blade and will merely ruin the teeth. The 'free with product'
type key, the kind which twists in use, is probably not hard to cut.

I've done the same using a Dremel with a thin grinding disk.

Good hex keys are hard enough that I ground a lathe cutting tool from
one, when I needed to cut a non-standard internal thread in a thick wall
aluminum tube with a roughly 1/2" ID.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 13th 12, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski writes:

AMuzi wrote:
Joe Riel wrote:
AMuzi writes:

datakoll wrote:
what type saw ?
Big!

http://rick.sparber.org/Steam%20Show...l/P8140062.JPG

A hacksaw works. I've done it before when I needed
to get a wrench on an allan head bolt. That was, I think,
a 6 mm.

To shorten a hex key of any quality, nick it on two faces with a
grindwheel, mount in vise, pull with a wrench until it snaps, finish
edges as required. Even a mid grade hex key is harder than your average
hacksaw blade and will merely ruin the teeth. The 'free with product'
type key, the kind which twists in use, is probably not hard to cut.

I've done the same using a Dremel with a thin grinding disk.

Good hex keys are hard enough that I ground a lathe cutting tool from
one, when I needed to cut a non-standard internal thread in a thick
wall aluminum tube with a roughly 1/2" ID.

In retrospect, maybe I didn't hacksaw the hex-bit, but that seems
unlikely. I just went to the shop and looked at it, it's an 8-mm and
appears of reasonable quality (hah). Not one of the "free with product"
keys. I don't own any electric tools (lots of handtools, mostly
woodworking), and I can see the file marks on the face where I cleaned
it up.

--
Joe Riel
Old April 13th 12, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:28:48 PM UTC-6, datakoll wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2012 10:18:41 PM UTC-6, datakoll wrote:
AMAZIN' INTERNET

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&output...w=1152&bih=666

YEAH BOUGHT 2 (TWO) LONG BALL END bONDHOS from THE THIRD HAND. Two ? partly solves finding one. One magnets to Nubach's cargo partition wall.

a third Hand catalog stores at 40 degress in a nitrogen rich atmosphere
OUAT the 3 hand ctalog told all one needed to know abt cycle mechanics.

once again we weep at its passing.

yeah so I 'lost' the gas cap key at a Tex in the Mojave. Both Bonhos surfaced together in a dig thru the doghouse. Storgly rec the ball ends for bike work.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...x%20keys&dds=1