touring bike

Old August 15th 04, 09:07 AM
Bernie

Ken wrote:

Dan Daniel wrote in
:

Heavier- yes, maybe 5-10 pounds? On a 180 pound total setup- rider and
bike- that's a small percent.

Slower? Not sure how this comes about.

5 or 10 pounds will make a noticable distance when climbing large hills. You
might be a minute or two slower when climbing a 2000 foot hill. Around town,
you won't see much difference, especially when you factor in stop lights.

Also, touring bikes always have triple chainrings. "Racy" bikes have
doubles, usually. The touring bike gearing is way friendlier on hills.
The longer frame gives a more stable ride to boot. Tourers are easily
ridden hands free, and can be pushed easily with just one hand on the
back of the seat.
My $0.02 Bernie

Old August 15th 04, 05:37 PM
the black rose

Frank Krygowski wrote:
LJ wrote:

Hello all,

Initially I was considering a road bike. Then I found there was the
touring category, including the Fuji Touring, Trek 520, Jamis Aurora.
It seems they are sturdier and good for riding around town, but
heavier, slower and more sluggish.
I would mainly do fitness runs on pavement; if the bike is OK for errands
in town, it is even better. Do you think a touring bike will serve me
well compared to a purebred road bike?

I think a touring bike is the most versatile bike, for reasons others
have stated. The few pounds extra weight will give you much better
reliability (especially regarding wheels & tires). And fitting fenders
and racks is very valuable unless your bike will be a toy used only on
perfect days. All this is worth the very slight reduction in speed - if
any.

Are there other (touring) models that I should consider? I expect to
spend
$600-700 (the Trek 520 costs more).

Cannondale make some very well-regarded touring bikes. I ride one.

Which one? Just curious. :-)

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old August 15th 04, 05:51 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 16:37:51 GMT, the black rose
wrote:

Cannondale make some very well-regarded touring bikes. I ride one.

Which one? Just curious. :-)

Their T-series.

-Luigi

-km

Old August 15th 04, 06:34 PM
Frank Krygowski

the black rose wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Which one? Just curious. :-)

Well, it's an old, old bike. A 1986 Cannondale ST-800. It was their
top of the line touring bike back then. My wife has one, too.

They took us coast to coast last year, I'm proud to say, camping gear
and all. :-)

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old August 15th 04, 11:34 PM
LJ

Thanks.

I think, between a touring and a hybrid bike, I will choose the former.
With the drop bars, I can change riding positions.

-LJ
Old August 16th 04, 12:58 PM
Stephen Harding

the black rose wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

LJ wrote:

Are there other (touring) models that I should consider? I expect to
spend
$600-700 (the Trek 520 costs more).

Cannondale make some very well-regarded touring bikes. I ride one.

Which one? Just curious. :-)

The T series which is more along the lines of the Trek 520 in price.
The T-2000 might actually be a little more expensive. They used to
make a T-1000 as well but I think it's now the T-800 (???). Not certain
if it's in your price range or not.

I've seen some Giants and Marin road bikes that seem rugged enough for
light duty touring use (commuting/creditcard touring) and the prices
in your range.

Can't go wrong with a touring bike IMHO. Put some panniers on the back
and load it up with some lights and fenders and you've got your commuter
for all year use. Broad selection of tire sizes and good range of gears.

Thirty-six spoke wheels combined with wider tires make for very few flats.

I've been searching for a better road tire on my "joy bike" to match the
reliability on my tourer/commuter (Trek 520 with Conti Top Touring tires
in 32mm). I've tried IRC, Conti (GP1000 I think) and now Hutchinson Excels.
Friday was my first day with the new tires and I didn't even make one round
trip commute (22 miles) before flatting. Needless to say, the search
continues, but the Hutchinson's sure are snazzy looking.

The tourer just keeps rolling along with rarely a flat, nor barely even a
wobble in the wheels after 10 years!

SMH

Old August 16th 04, 08:41 PM
Justin Seiferth

Not sure where you live but considering the two Performance bike
stores I've been in (NOVA and LA) you're much better off finding an
LBS. If you are thinking you might move and want the safety of a chain
store REI Novarra brand has a nice touring bike. I also like
Bianchi's- the Axis (which is a cross bike but very nice- I own one)
and Volpe. The Specialized Sequoia has many of the features of an
all-rounder but looks more like a "racing bike" being equipped with
dual pivot brakes and all. All of these bikes are pretty reasonably
priced and easy to find.

(LJ) wrote in message . com...
Thanks. This NG is great, very helpful.

What is the difference between a cyclocross and a touring bike? And
how is a hybrid bike different? As I see it, they are all somewhere
between a road and a mountain bike.

There is a Performance Bike chain store in the area. I suppose they
have better prices and probably carry more brands. Do you think a
chain store, if there is one, will be a better choice than an
independent shop?

Have a great weekend.

-LJ

if you wanted maximum braking, where would you sit? wle Techniques 133 November 18th 15 02:10 AM
Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 14th 03 11:08 PM
Bike Friday for a touring bike? John Everett Techniques 25 July 19th 03 04:13 AM