Help choosing jacket

Old July 17th 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GazK

Default Help choosing jacket

The chilly weather outside has got me thinking about choosing an autumn
jacket. My wife has kindly offered to buy me one, but I need to keep the
price down so I can squeeze in an HPX pump as well. Ideally(!) I want it to:

- pack small and have a means to fix to the bike - this is very
important, if I can't carry it on my minimalist bike its a waste of my
wife's money!
- be windproof
- be showerproof
- not baste me in my own juices (flaps, pit vents etc)
- be very cheap

I know many of these conflict, but Edinburgh bikes have some potential
candidates. So the question is, does anyone own any of the following,
and if so how would they rate them for the above for fastish fitness
cycling?

ALTURA CROPTON -
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...l.cfm?ID=20714

ALTURA NEVIS -
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...l.cfm?ID=21713

ALTURA STREAM -
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...l.cfm?ID=21754

PROTECTIVE VICTORIA -
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...l.cfm?ID=19856

Alternatively, if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears, but
remember, anything over £50 is going to put me into domestic overdraft!

Gaz
Old July 17th 06, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
the.Mark

GazK wrote:
[...]

I've got the ALTURA NEVIS (Yellow):
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...l.cfm?ID=23023

I'ts currently discounted. I've had it for years and at this price I
was considering replacing it.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Old July 17th 06, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Dunne

"the.Mark" wrote in message

I've got the ALTURA NEVIS (Yellow):
http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/c...l.cfm?ID=23023

I'ts currently discounted. I've had it for years and at this price I
was considering replacing it.

I could have been unlucky, but mine fell to bits after 6 months of use. The
cuff straps came unsewn and the zip failed.

Got a Berghaus now which seems rather better engineered...

Just my 2p

Tim

Sent from Birmingham, UK timdunne at blueyonder.co.uk
'God's electrician sparked up the heavens once again, heading northbound
on the 7:10. And the lord said let there be commuters...' - Thea Gilmore
Look, mum, an anorak on a bike! Check out www.nervouscyclist.org

Old July 17th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , GazK
') wrote:

[...]

This is a really good jacket; I've had one for about three years. The
colour has faced a bit but it's still waterproof and very comfortable to
wear. The only downside is it doesn't fold up small enough to fit in a
jersey pocket (it does fit into it's own back pocket, but...

;; Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
;; do it from Â*religiousÂ*conviction." Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*--Â*Pascal

Old July 17th 06, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GazK

the.Mark wrote:
GazK wrote:
[...]

Check bottom right on the page: out of stock, unfortunately.
Old July 17th 06, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
the.Mark

GazK wrote:
the.Mark wrote:
GazK wrote:
[...]

Bummer.
--
Cheers
the.Mark

Old July 18th 06, 06:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pinky

"GazK" wrote in message
. uk...
[...]

I've been using my Altura Nevis for 4 seasons now. I bought a new one (at a
discount) last winter but I am still using my old one. Wiggle have got it at
£39.99 ( £10 off rrp). It has no method of fixing to a bike though. BTW I
am a long distance cycle/camper and don't maintain anything like high
speeds!
--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

Old July 18th 06, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

Tim Dunne wrote:

I could have been unlucky, but mine fell to bits after 6 months of use. The
cuff straps came unsewn and the zip failed.

I think yours must have been made on a Friday. Mine is fine after
about 3 years of abuse. Not quite so Hi-viz as it was new.

Old July 18th 06, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

GazK wrote:
The chilly weather outside has got me thinking about choosing an autumn
jacket. My wife has kindly offered to buy me one, but I need to keep the
price down so I can squeeze in an HPX pump as well. Ideally(!) I want it
to:

- pack small and have a means to fix to the bike - this is very
important, if I can't carry it on my minimalist bike its a waste of my
wife's money!
- be windproof
- be showerproof
- not baste me in my own juices (flaps, pit vents etc)
- be very cheap

With that in mind I'd avoid specifically water*proof* stuff as the
tendency for own-juice-basting is much higher than with a simply
showerproof, windproof top. A basically more breathable fabric is
better than any number of vents.

Pertex is a common weapon of choice here, I use a Mardale bike jacket
which fits the criteria reasonably well, see
http://www.mardale.com/bike.html
Alternatives from Rab and Montane are lighter and less bulky but are
pocket free: take your pick.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

FS: Assos Gator Winter Cylcling Jacket for Sale [email protected] Racing 2 October 7th 05 10:26 PM
FS: Assos Gator Winter Cylcling Jacket for Sale [email protected] Marketplace 2 October 7th 05 10:26 PM
Jacket recommendations Kovie Techniques 12 September 27th 05 09:50 PM
Cycling jacket Brad General 7 September 11th 04 06:18 AM
Gore-tex jacket no longer waterproof Jim Walker UK 88 September 1st 04 01:52 AM