Sheldon Brown

Old October 30th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

Default Sheldon Brown

SlowRider wrote:

That absolutely sucks. I've known people with MS and with neuropathy,
and they're both nasty.

The ailments, one trusts, not the people. (Sorry eg )

FWIW, I know a woman -- a former psychiatric nurse -- who was diagnosed with
MS many years ago (15, at least). At age 60+ she went back to school and
earned a Masters (Psychology I believe; she became a counselor). Whenever I
see her she's always brightly dressed with ribbons and flowers adorning her
cane. (She's also been married roughly 10 times, including three to the
same man!)

If anyone's spirit can cope with and overcome infirmity, hers -- and
Sheldon's -- can.

You go, Mr. Brown! Go!

Bill S.

Old October 31st 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Veloise

SlowRider wrote:
So, in Sheldon's honor, I'm going to add the MS150 to my list of events
for next year.

What a nice thing to write.

--Karen D.
me too!

Old October 31st 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:58:25 -0800, SlowRider wrote:

So, in Sheldon's honor, I'm going to add the MS150 to my list of events
for next year.

That is an excellent idea. Count me in.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig... You
_`\(,_ | soon find out the pig likes it!
(_)/ (_) |
Old October 31st 06, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Zoot Katz wrote:
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:03:33 -0600, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:48:51 -0700, Kenny wrote:

Came across some information concerning Sheldon on RBR.

http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

Thanks Sheldon for all the helpful advice you've given me. Keep the
faith.

Sheldon has been a friend to all of us. It's a shame this has happened to
him. I hope and pray for a quick recovery.

I know MS patients who have found some relief from the spasms through
the use of "medical marijuana". It's the only way one friend has
been able to continue playing his guitar. I don't know that his MS is
the same a Sheldon's uncommon type but he was using it long before he
could get a prescription for it.

I don't believe Sheldon smokes but cannabis tincture is also an
effective way to regulate ones maintenance doses.

In the US fuggeddaboutit! Due to know-nothing hysteria whipped up by
politicians, idiotic talking TV heads and others of their ilk, cannabis
is classified as a Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act,
which allows no medical use. When states pass laws allowing for the
medical use of cannabis, the federal government throws states rights
[1] and goes after the users anyhow.

The hypocrites in Congress will happily let the very sick suffer
immensely to score a few political points with the uninformed masses.
The DEA even prosecutes doctors for prescribing sufficient amounts of
LEGAL pain medication to patients.

[1] Were not the Republicans supposed to be supporters of states rights
and individual freedoms? (Bwhahaha).

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old October 31st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

SlowRider wrote:
That absolutely sucks. I've known people with MS and with neuropathy,
and they're both nasty.

I can't even count the number of times I've gone to Sheldon's site.
I've got printouts all over the house (mostly by my workstand in the
garage). I probably refer to Sheldon more than I refer to Zinn, and
that's saying something.

So, in Sheldon's honor, I'm going to add the MS150 to my list of events
for next year.

But only if you have FUN doing the ride:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/thons.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.

Old October 31st 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
H M Leary

In article ,
Paul Hobson wrote:

snip
Thanks Sheldon for all the helpful advice you've given me. Keep the
faith.

Kenny

endless good vibes sent his way
\\paul

I had the honor and privelige of meeting Sheldon early this past summer.
I constantly peruse his Web site for advice and information, and even
got a Greenspeed GT5 because of his enthusiasm. I met him when I took
the trike to Harris Cyclery.

He was hobbled when I met him, but he still bubbled over with this
enthusiasm for all things and life in general.

God bless, Sheldon!
Keep the faith

HAND
Old October 31st 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
But only if you have FUN doing the ride:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/thons.html.

Interesting article. I did the MS150 from Irvine to San Diego just a
couple of weeks ago. It's not an event where you pledge per mile. You
have to raise $350 ahead of time plus $60 sign-up fee before you are
allowed to start.

The part about people starting this event without any mileage base is
certainly true. It is a two day event. At the beginning of the first
day I saw some bikes that were sorely in need of maintenance. I heard
one person instructing another how to shift STI shifters. I guess
these people had enough because I didn't see such things on the second
day.

But the money is raised whether they ride or not. So I guess it
doesn't matter.

Tom

Old October 31st 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
AustinMN

Kenny wrote:
Came across some information concerning Sheldon on RBR.

http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

Thanks Sheldon for all the helpful advice you've given me. Keep the
faith.

Kenny

Hey Sheldon,

Don't loose the sense of humor. I have always looked forward to your
April 1 posts.

Austin

Old November 1st 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

H M Leary wrote:

I had the honor and privelige of meeting Sheldon early this past summer.
I constantly peruse his Web site for advice and information, and even
got a Greenspeed GT5 because of his enthusiasm. I met him when I took
the trike to Harris Cyclery....

Only weirdoes ride tadpole trikes!

--
Tom Sherman - Here, not there.
Blue Earth Cycles Dragonflyer [TM] (recumbent tadpole trike)

Old November 1st 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TonyKiz

Dear Sheldon,

Sorry to hear about your health problems.

Thanks for all you've done to inform and entertain us on everything cycling.

Tony

"Ted" wrote in message
oups.com...

Kenny wrote:
Came across some information concerning Sheldon on RBR.

http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

Thanks Sheldon for all the helpful advice you've given me. Keep the
faith.

Kenny

Best of luck, Sheldon.
Ted.