Sheldon Brown

Old November 4th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

Default Sheldon Brown

"Mike Kruger" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry to hear about your poor health, Sheldon, because your site has
been a help to me.

JUST STOP THERE

Hell, if the message had stopped there I wouldn't have bothered to read it.

I just wish you hadn't ruined it by injecting your
idiotic political beliefs into it. You don't know nearly as much about
politics, government and history as you do about bicycles. And really,
that ****ty-looking beard has got to go!!

I just wish you hadn't ruined your message of sympathy.

Sheldon has already gotten enough messages of sympathy. Now it is time to
get back to reality and do something about that freaking beard.

I doubt there are many people who know as much about politics, government
and history as Sheldon knows about bicycles.

Yeah, but Folson and I do not like beards. We think it makes men look dippy.
What is the problem anyway? There is a whole industry devoted to shaving off
those whiskers. If and when Sheldon dies, he will want to look nice in his
casket, but how can he with that freaking beard.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 4th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"Paul Turner" wrote in message
oups.com...

On Nov 4, 10:50 am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

***
A new day is underway.To wear a beard in this day and age is a sign of
the barbarian. I do not
like any facial hair at all. It makes men look even dippier than they
already look. God, it is just so pathetic the way some men strive to gain
fake masculinity by wearing ridiculous looking facial hair. I mean, it is
so
uncouth!

By the way, there are no women who ever liked men with beards. Even the
Greeks and Romans had sense enough to be clean shaven. It was only the
barbarians who looked like the savages that they were with beards down to
their navels. Hey, you look like an ape, you will behave like one too.

Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Marcus Aurelius, Augustine ...

But they were academics and intellectuals, not the solid citizens who
mattered (Marcus Aurelius being the exception). Also, a middle aged or older
man who has given up on sex can be permitted to wear a beard.

And of course a large proportion of those acknowledged as saints by
anyone but themselves.

The main reason for not shaving in former times was because of the
difficulty of it. That is no longer a credible excuse today. I will admit I
get occasionally lazy and get a several days growth of whiskers myself. But
a beard? Perish the thought!

Old November 7th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Rex Kerr

I just wish you hadn't ruined it by injecting your
idiotic political beliefs into it.

Here's a tip: I generally keep my idiotic politial beliefs on my
_personal_ sites, sheldonbrown.ORG and sheldonbrown.NET. Those are the
ones you should avoid if you want to maintain your intellectual and
political purity.

I love the way that you handle these messages! I've seen a few
directed your way and I'm always impressed with your responses!

You don't know nearly as much about
politics, government and history as you do about bicycles.

True.

| In politics stupidity is not a handicap. |
| --Napoleon |

Was this part of your comeback? If not, quite an impressive
coincidence! :-)

Old November 11th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Sorry to hear about your poor health, Sheldon, because your site has
been a help to me.

I'll add my voice to those who are saddened to hear about your illness,
Sheldon. MS, in the words of Teri Garr, is "a vicious, nasty, sonofabich
of a disease." It's also completely idiosyncratic and unpredictable.
Some people are completely debilitated by it. OTOH, I read once about a
guy who went to bed one night completely healthy, and woke up the next
morning paralyzed in half of his body from MS. He fought back to a point
where he was able to do a Colorado "grand slam"--there are 54 mountains in
that state over 14,000' feet high, and he climbed them all.
May I offer some observations from the POV of a parent with a kid with
MS? (I'm not a doctor by any stretch of the imagination, and I could as
easily be wrong as right, but sometimes a detached perspective can be
useful.) If I read your account correctly, you've had an awfully large
number of those ridiculously expensive MRI's. Maybe your case is just a
difficult one to diagnose, but I think if I were in your shoes I'd be
asking the doctors why so many. My daughter's lesions are plain as day in
her MRI images. Are they doing anything for you besides taking pictures
and running tests? There are drug treatments out there, and maybe it's
time to start treating, not just diagnosing. At the risk of sounding like
a pharmaceutical company commercial, I suggest that maybe you should "ask
your doctor if Tisabri is right for you."
Judging from your posts and your web page, you are an intelligent, good
humored, tenacious, fit man. Use all of those qualities in your fight.
If bicycling gets too tricky for you, you might want to try yoga. My
daughter has done very well with it. Don't be like her in one other way,
though. If the docs tell you to jab yourself with needles,
fercryinoutloud do it.
Have you discovered alt.support.mult-sclerosis yet? It's a lot like
this group: fraught with spam, off-topic posts, and trolls. But there as
here you still meet some very knowledgeable, worth-while people.
NOTE TO ALL: it's kind of a silver lining to the dark cloud of MS that
it is linked surprisingly closely to bicycling. State and local MS
societies all over the country sponsor rides that raise substantial
amounts of money for MS treatment and research. The one I'm involved
with, for instance, raised over a million dollars last year. The Texas
MS-150, which IIRC runs one-way from Houston to Austin, has attracted so
many participants that they've had to put a cap on it: 13,000 riders!
MS is surprisingly common. If you went to school with 1000 kids, the
law of averages says that sooner or later two of the girls and one of the
boys will be diagnosed with MS. Even if you don't know anyone personally
who has MS, you know of well-known people who have it. Richard Pryor had
MS. So do Annette Funicello, Montel Williams, Teri Garr, Roman Gabriel,
David Lander, Alan Osmond, Louise Mandrell, and half a million others.
Cases range from mild to severe, and the onset can come late, as it has
with Sheldon, or early in childhood.
Anybody here who wants to do more than just offer sympathy to Sheldon
can join in and ride in an MS-150. Anyone who doesn't have time to ride
can donate. I will be posting a link sometime next year for anyone who
wants to support my ride, and I invite other riders to do the same.

Bill in Utah

__o | A dictatorship would be a heck of a lot easier,
_`\(,_ | there's no question about it.
(_)/ (_) | --George W. Bush (AP, 7/27/2001)
Old November 11th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

Judging from your posts and your web page, you are an intelligent, good
humored, tenacious, fit man. Use all of those qualities in your fight.
If bicycling gets too tricky for you, you might want to try yoga. My
daughter has done very well with it....

Sheldon Brown has already addressed the issue of bicycling being too
difficult: http://www.sheldonbrown.org/greenspeed/ and
http://www.sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html.

--
Tom Sherman - Post Free or Die!

Old November 11th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

wrote:
[...]

Great post, Johhny Sunset notwithstanding.

Old November 13th 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:
By the way, there are no women who ever liked men with beards. Even the
Greeks and Romans had sense enough to be clean shaven.

The Greeks and Romans were not looking to have sexual
relations with _women_.

Old November 13th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

Kenny wrote:
Came across some information concerning Sheldon on RBR.

http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html

Sincere if belated best wishes to Sheldon.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old November 13th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

Mike Kruger wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry to hear about your poor health, Sheldon, because your site has
been a help to me.

JUST STOP THERE

I just wish you hadn't ruined it by injecting your
idiotic political beliefs into it. You don't know nearly as much about
politics, government and history as you do about bicycles. And really,
that ****ty-looking beard has got to go!!

I just wish you hadn't ruined your message of sympathy.

Trolls being what they are- pathetic people desperate for *any*
attention, even if it is negative- I doubt either folson or Dolan will
take your message to heart. Of course, I also doubt they realize that
if someday they were to develop a debilitating condition that prevented
them from posting here the likely reaction wouldn't be an outpouring of
well wishes but a mostly unspoken, "It couldn't happen to a nicer guy".
Not a particularly humanitarian attitude but a well deserved one.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old November 14th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:
By the way, there are no women who ever liked men with beards. Even the
Greeks and Romans had sense enough to be clean shaven.

The Greeks and Romans were not looking to have sexual
relations with _women_.

The Greeks and the Romans were not nearly so depraved as are present day
homos. They merely liked young boys, not fully grown men. It is well known
that young boys can be a stand-in for women. Let us hope and pray that AIDS
will finish them all off.