A lot more to Sheldon Brown than wheelbuilding!

Old January 17th 04, 02:24 PM
Sofa

Default A lot more to Sheldon Brown than wheelbuilding!

Color Coding Your Tools For shop mechanics and serious home mechanics.

" We use a simple color coding system for wrench sizes. It is a great
time saver around the shop, because it allows the mechanics to tell the
size of a wrench at a glance, even from across the room. "

How handy is that?

'Sheldon Brown' (http://www.sheldonbrown.com)

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

'when I'm at the limit of my endurance, 5% extra resistance could be
enough to stop me in my track. ' - MikeFule

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old January 17th 04, 03:55 PM
paco

Move over Martha Stewart. There's a new boy in town!
Seriously though, that's a good idea. I would color code the different
wrenches that I use to fix my uni so I don't have to play the Find The
Wrench game every time something comes loose.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

They would probably see me as a terrorist, weilding a Unicycle of mass
destruction.
-Rowan
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old January 17th 04, 06:21 PM
U-Turn

Great idea! Now where's that colored plastic tape...

Hints from Heloise!

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Old January 17th 04, 06:42 PM
cyberbellum

U-Turn wrote:
*Great idea! Now where's that colored plastic tape...

Hints from Heloise! *

We used to use flourescent spray paint. Lime green was an 8mm, pink was
a 10 mm, and so on. That way you could wait until after dark, turn off
the shop lights and click on a black light to look for missing tools.
Like most shops we had dozens of each kind so we didn't waste time
looking for dropped stuff. Once a month would do the scavenger hunt and
restock the allen wrench cans.

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550

Old January 17th 04, 07:07 PM
Sofa

cyberbellum wrote:
*
That way you could wait until after dark, turn off the shop lights
and click on a black light to look for missing tools. *

Geenius!

(yes, that's on purpose)

Old January 18th 04, 04:26 AM
cyberbellum

Sofa wrote:
*
Geenius!
*

Yeah, I thought so too. It didn't really work all that well, though.
Bike shop tools get covered with chain grease pretty quickly, so the
colors weren't that bright. Also it's virtually impossible to get a
good bond so the paint chipped off pretty easily. We finally gave it up
and just got used to putting the tools back where they belonged.