The future Australain unicycling newsletter...

Old October 25th 03, 09:25 AM
andrew_carter

Default The future Australain unicycling newsletter...

I just had a thought then that it might be fun to start up an Australian
unicycling newsletter. I know it'll involve a fair bit of work but
maybe I (and whoever wanted to help) could put out one each season or
something like that. It'd be a really good way of keeping people up to
date with all the events that are going on and so on. As usual, I'm
just sort of improvising here and haven't thought it through yet but
here's what I'm thinking.

It could cover...

_General_News_ - General news.

_Upcoming_Events_ - This could be done in the style of a calendar with
events throughout Australia and New Zealand (and other close places) in
one group and then worldwide events in another.

_Reports_ - Reports of events for example UniNats and the upcoming
Weekend of Australian Muni. Also, if any of you people were willing,
there could be some reports from events in other countrys, like the
Californian Muni Weekend and so on.

_Feature_Articles_ - Maybe if someone's gone on some sort of unicycling
adventure that could be covered in the newsletter. For example, some
time next year we're going to do an endurance ride for charity...that
would make a good feature article. Maybe in the first issue there could
be articles on young and old riders. I know Keith, the 74-year-old who
competed at UniNats this year is a really interesting guy and has made
some interesting unicycles.

_Controversial(ish)_Topics_ - That's not a good way of describing it,
but what I mean is topics that may be discussed reasonably regularly and
that are also slightly controversial. They wouldn't neccessarily have
to appeal to the entire unicycling community. By having a range of them
they could focus on specific topics while still collectively
entertaining the general unicycling community. As an example, there's
been some discussion recently in one of the threads about doing big
hucks. People have debated whether or not it's still a 10' drop if you
don't land it, and whether or not it's worth destroying equipment just
to do a massive drop. I think this sort of article could be really good
as long as it's never offensive to anyone.

Well that's all I can think of for now but I'm sure I'll come up with
some more ideas.

I might start writing some articles for the first issue
tonight...seriously.

Any suggestions, comments, etc.?

Thanks,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - http://www.thehungersite.com

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Opening soon!
I love unicycling!

Old October 25th 03, 10:19 AM
andrew_carter

Here are my latest ideas for articles and things. They might not all go
into the first issue but here they are so far...

- Article on old/young riders
- New unicycling technology
- UniNats report
- Upcoming events like the Weekend of Australian Muni
- An article on the Californian Muni Weekend if one of you people would
be willing to slightly edit one of your write-ups and turn it into a
simple article.
- A whole section in every issue on how to do stuff like hop, gap,
drop, grab, grind, build trials obstacles, do unicycle maintenance,
etc.
- Article on Universe 2 to let people know that it's coming out and
that Universe is really awsome and so on. I could also mention that
it'll be available (I'm assumi) from unicycle.co.nz.
- Places to ride in each state of Australia. This would require a lot
of people to help by telling me about these places.
- Maybe something on the safety issue...what pads there are and what
they do and why it's often stupid not to wear them.
- Good food to eat for long muni or endurance rides.
- A whinge about the lack of bike trials competitions for us trials
riders to join in on here in Australia.
- Appropriate tyre type for different riding styles.
- Something on riding conditions.
- Good photos (this sort of thing is always fun).

So...any additions?

Andrew

Old October 25th 03, 10:28 AM
djm

Sounds like a very good Idea Andrew.
That sounds like the same way as "Ozjuggle Magazine" years ago when I
was subscribing it right up to 1998 when it ceases production. Kim Kaos
was producing that magazine right up to 1997 but was to cease production
due to ill health. I have now never heard of her anymore on what happen
now these days.
I have only one topic Andrew......... Classifieds Ads. That will
produced some the Unicycling newsletter coming through. That
is............ For Sales, Wanted to Buy, Riders Wanted/Available, etc,
etc. Funny I was thinking the same way as you are doing too Andrew but
that wasn't really on my cards at all. I think it's mainly my Unicycle
Club is more important to me than a Australian Unicycling Magazine for
me. I'm sticking with what I have got now. My Newcastle-Lake Macquarie
Unicycle Club and the Westlakes Coyotes Unicycling Team. Need more help
Andrew on any topic's I'm happy to help if possible.

David

--
djm - David John Mason

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/davidsalbum
davidjmason[at]unicyclist[dot]com
-David J. Mason-
UFP-DJM

djm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3299

Old October 25th 03, 01:03 PM
andrew_carter

I think that's a really good idea...thanks Dave.

Andrew

Old November 3rd 03, 04:32 AM
Nic Price

Andrew Rowe started (well, 1 edition) of an Australian unicycling
magazine about 4-5 years ago. Obviously it didn't get off the ground.
I had similar ideas for a juggling magazine in Australia, but didn't
feel like investing the time in it.

One consideration is how you are going to find your subscribers, and
will you ask for donations or subscription fees. This newsgroup is
pretty adequate evidence that Australian unicyclists and jugglers
aren't super-active online.

I'd actually suggest piggy-backing the AUS mailouts to save on
unnecessary duplication and to save money.

nic

Old November 3rd 03, 04:47 AM
James_Potter

You might want to add reviews of different unicycling equipment, i.e.
popular MUni's, protection, brakes.

--
James_Potter - Rubiks Cube CHAMPION (almost)

-Give a man a match and he'll be warm for an hour. Set a man on fire and
he'll be warm for life.-

Old November 3rd 03, 10:04 AM
andrew_carter

Thanks guys.

Nic,
I'm not planning on charging anything for it. I think what I'll do is
make it available from a site (maybe unicycles.com.au) so people can
check back for the latest issues and so on. That way, we wouldn't have
to send out a whole lot of big emails to the AUS members.

Andrew

Old November 4th 03, 10:36 AM
GizmoDuck

Andrew,

I had the exact same thoughts at the NZUni weekend. I discussed it with
the boys from unicycle.co.nz and they seemed pretty keen on the idea.
They currently have their email Newsletter which I've just received,
today actually, but I was thinking more along the lines of a magazine
style newletter- ie with photos, articles, racing news, events etc etc.
Like a MTB/bicycling magazine. It's pretty expensive to put into print,
but could be made available as an online e-zine sort of thing.

I had a number of ideas for a NZ issue already- including the NZ
Unicycle weekend, Tony's experience of the Aussie Uninats, product
reviews (from someone other the unicycle.co.nz crew), the Taupo
Day/Night Thriller 12hr race, maybe the 24hr Rotorua Moonride race in
May, Karapoti Classic, The 160km Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge later this
month and maybe a blurb about my ride from Vietnam to Cambodia next
year.

Perhaps if you guys are keen we could make it an Australasian
Newsletter? I don't think there are necessarily enough NZ Uni riders to
support the amount of work required- most events are attended by a
pretty small hardcore group of riders.

I know of various NZ sporting newsletters that evolved from black and
white photocopy/amateur newsletters into a full fledged glossy magazines
over time- NZ Orienteering, NZ MTB assoc, multisport, among others.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

"I'll be there with bells on!"
Tony on the NZUni weekend

"right thats it im dressing up like a woman!"
James on the NZuni weekend

"If not for a weird inner ear condition that prevents me from crossing
the equator, I'd be there too."
JJuggle- the most original excuse not to attend the NZUni weekend

"At least if someone hurts themselves, Ken should be able to fix them up
with brain surgery on the spot if he brings a scalpel and some
bandages."
Rowan- on my surgical skills

Old November 4th 03, 02:04 PM
andrew_carter

I'd definately be interested in doing that. It'd really make things
easier for the both of us, not having to write quite so many articles
(although we'd still want a good selection). Also, I think it'd be good
to try to bring the Australia and New Zealand unicycling societies
closer together. Maybe you could email Karen, the new AUS secretary,
and see what see thinks. She has been helping me with the bit of
planning we've done do far.

Andrew

Old November 4th 03, 02:24 PM
andrew_carter

P.S. Ken, although I'm sure that after Woodford Tony will have spent a
fortune on airfares to Australia you are all invited to our Weekend of
Australian Muni. I'll do you a deal...if you guys come over here for
WAM, I'll come to an endurance event over there next year.

Andrew