New Hour Record set in LA!

Old November 22nd 04, 10:29 PM
Warren

"Bob Schwartz" wrote in message
Warren wrote:
Not as bad as people who don't let ignorance of the relevant facts

dissuade
them from ranting about something they couldn't do themselves. Curtis is

world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

I did some research. The hour record holder in the 30-34 age category is
a chap named Rominger. He went 55.291 km, which far outdistances Curtis'
mark of 47.764 km. He was 33 at the time.

I believe he was also a world class rider in his age group.

The UCI should stop recognizing records that aren't records.

The record set by Curtis is for "amateurs", not "open", and not
"professional".

-WG

Old November 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
Dave H

Warren wrote:
Not as bad as people who don't let ignorance of the relevant facts

dissuade
them from ranting about something they couldn't do themselves. Curtis is

world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

I did some research. The hour record holder in the 30-34 age category is
a chap named Rominger. He went 55.291 km, which far outdistances Curtis'
mark of 47.764 km. He was 33 at the time.

I believe he was also a world class rider in his age group.

The UCI should stop recognizing records that aren't records.

Bob Schwartz

I thought it was a joke from the start. First off, Kent Bostick set a UCI
record for the hour for ANY Masters age group in Manchester in 1999 at
49.3610. So really in reality what record did Gunn set when a guy 10 years
his senior went farther? Masters records should only be valid when you A)
beat everyone in your age group and B) surpass those older than you also.
Dave

Old November 23rd 04, 01:58 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Dave H" wrote in message

I thought it was a joke from the start. First off, Kent Bostick set a UCI
record for the hour for ANY Masters age group in Manchester in 1999 at
49.3610. So really in reality what record did Gunn set when a guy 10 years
his senior went farther? Masters records should only be valid when you A)
beat everyone in your age group and B) surpass those older than you also.
Dave

What happened to Speedy?

Old November 23rd 04, 02:11 AM
Tom Kunich

Warren wrote:
Not as bad as people who don't let ignorance of the relevant facts
dissuade them from ranting about something they couldn't do themselves.
Curtis is a world-class rider in his age group. Do some research.

I did some research. The hour record holder in the 30-34 age category is
a chap named Rominger. He went 55.291 km, which far outdistances Curtis'
mark of 47.764 km. He was 33 at the time.

I believe he was also a world class rider in his age group.

The UCI should stop recognizing records that aren't records.

I thought it was a joke from the start. First off, Kent Bostick set a UCI
record for the hour for ANY Masters age group in Manchester in 1999 at
49.3610. So really in reality what record did Gunn set when a guy 10 years
his senior went farther? Masters records should only be valid when you A)
beat everyone in your age group and B) surpass those older than you also.

Let's also remember that Rominger was using geek bars and a funnybike both
of which are out now. I think that that Bostick's record (set in 1999 in the
USA?) has that same asterisk on it.

Remember that Eddy's Hour Record was 49.43 set in the mile high and dry
Mexico City and that makes Gunn's record set at sea level and close to the
high humidity and energy sapping ocean a whole lot more impressive than
geeks are likely to note.

Furthermore you really have to compare it to Chris Boardman's hour record
from the year 2000 after he took a go at Eddy's record with the latest
improvements in bicycle gear EXCEPT the prone position offered by geek bars.
Chis's record is 49.441. That makes Gunn's record of about one mile less
than the fastest cyclist on earth after an hour look pretty damned good.

Of course there is that little strange fact that Gunn is an amatuer whereas
Boardman, Rominger and Merckx were professionals of the highest caliber.
Bostick has been a pro and amatuer since God separated the heavens from the
firmament below.

Old November 23rd 04, 03:27 AM
Carl Sundquist

http://www.cyclingnews.com/trackphot...LATT/0005-Gunn

Old November 23rd 04, 03:33 AM
Dave H

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message
nk.net...

Warren wrote:
[...]

Again, as I said what kind of record is it when you don't beat the guy 10
years your senior at a Masters event no less, Bostick surpassed those ahead
and behind him in age, indoors at Manchester. Gunn surpassed well... himself
I guess.

Dave