Braking Technique

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 17th 03, 04:29 PM
warren

Default Braking Technique

In article , asqui
wrote:

Andrew Lee wrote:
"asqui" wrote

warren wrote:
I think you should worry less about invalid "arguments" and spend
the time practicing with both brakes and keeping your weight
farther back under heavy braking. Don't you think that having two
tires making contact/friction with the ground would work better?

-WG

So yeah... now that I found out where I read this invalid argument
perhaps you would like to consult the rec.bicycles.* faq around he
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.17.html
Eating one's hat is optional.

Try reading this: http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/9.15.html

This has more information about braking in the context of corners...

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear in my original post. I was referring to
emergency braking on a good surface in a straight line. Armstrong was
braking in a straight line as he came past the outside of Beloki. This
section of the faq states once more that front brake only is the quickest
way to decelerate as long as you're not banked in the middle of a turn.

Then it's wrong. Think about my question again...

"Don't you think that having two tires making contact/friction with the
ground (with the brakes applied) would work better than one?"

Why don't you go out and test your theory and that FAQ statement and
get back to us? Make sure to bring your hat.

-WG

"Actually you are the first person to bring up this issue" James Annan Mountain Biking 428 April 4th 04 08:59 PM
Training Technique? Roy Zipris General 4 February 3rd 04 01:49 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
Thoughts on braking John Appleby General 76 August 11th 03 10:30 AM