A question about group etiquette

Old December 23rd 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default A question about group etiquette

I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
message about it in this group. But would it be proper to do so if
the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
ordinary interest?

Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.

retro
Old December 23rd 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Dec 23, 1:37*pm, wrote:
I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
message about it in this group. *But would it be proper to do so if
the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
ordinary interest?

Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.

retro

what do you think ? someone's going to hunt you down and shoot you if
you do ? usually I don't bother with ebay links; I suspect most here
are of the same mind in that respect; however, there will be one or
two who might take a look and report back if it is worth noticing.
Old December 24th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

I'm glad I asked!

OK, rec.bicycles.marketplace it is, then.
Old December 24th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman[_2_]

"PatTX" wrote: You might want to consider that doing so is against the
contract you signed
with Ebay. You can get thrown out of there from spamming a newsgroup.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Your contract is not to sell it outside of e-bay while it is listed there.
Why would they object to your publicizing an e-bay listing.? If it helps the
item sell, it helps the buyer, the seller, and e-bay.

And you're saying that e-bay cares whether you spam a newsgroup? Why would
this interest them?

The OP was asking whether this would be considered spamming (that's what he
meant by "etiquette.") Most of us didn't seem to object to an interesting,
one-time reference.

Old December 25th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PatTX[_2_]

:: "PatTX" wrote: You might want to consider that doing so is against
:: the contract you signed
::: with Ebay. You can get thrown out of there from spamming a
::: newsgroup.
:: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
:: Your contract is not to sell it outside of e-bay while it is listed
:: there. Why would they object to your publicizing an e-bay listing.?
:: If it helps the item sell, it helps the buyer, the seller, and e-bay.

I don't know why they object; you might ask them. I just know they DO
object.

::
:: And you're saying that e-bay cares whether you spam a newsgroup?
:: Why would this interest them?

You might ask them. Maybe they don't want to be associated with rampant
spam.

::
:: The OP was asking whether this would be considered spamming (that's
:: what he meant by "etiquette.") Most of us didn't seem to object to
:: an interesting, one-time reference.

Yes, selling on a newsgroup is considered spamming, whether one time or not.
It's not up for a vote: it's spam, plain and simple.

Old December 25th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil and Diana

On Dec 23, 4:10*pm, "Bill Sornson" wrote:
wrote:
I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
message about it in this group. *But would it be proper to do so if
the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
ordinary interest?

Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.

retro

A special item offered one time only? *Most would welcome it as interesting
if nothing more. *(Jobst might tell you it's posted to the wrong ng, right
under his latest political hit piece.)

Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it to
rec.marketplace, spammer."

Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's around!" S.

Let it GOOOOOOOooooooo, Bill.
Old December 25th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Neil Brooks

wrote:
I understand that normally it would be a faux pas to try to draw
attention to one's eBay auction for cycling-related items by posting a
message about it in this group. *But would it be proper to do so if
the item is rare, unusual, or is for some other reason of greater than
ordinary interest?

Thanks for any advice you can give me about this.

retro

A special item offered one time only? *Most would welcome it as interesting
if nothing more. *(Jobst might tell you it's posted to the wrong ng, right
under his latest political hit piece.)

Regular occurrence, OTOH, would quickly draw comments like "take it to
rec.marketplace, spammer."

Bill "whatever you do, DO NOT post a ride report here while JB's around!" S.

Let it GOOOOOOOOoooooooo, Bill.