Blammo, SPDs, SS, and The Goodies.

Old September 10th 04, 09:08 PM
CH

Default Blammo, SPDs, SS, and The Goodies.

Hi everyone,

I'm about to leave smelly depressing rainy UK for sunny happy Brisbane. Bought
my housemate's SS (for $AU25) to get around as my roadbike is going home soon.

1. Don't pump for too long with a Topeak road morph (good for 120psi). I blew
not only the tube, but the tyre too. Goddamn loud when it popped.

2. Half a turn on SPD pedals turns them from happy but slightly loose to
satanic death pedals of doom (fell over at the lights at 0km/h).

3. SS is cool, going to do fixed when I get back home.

4. Goodies is cool too (is their bike a "trandem"?).

Photos for 1-4 at: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mans1218/SS/

-- CH
Old September 11th 04, 02:08 PM
Peter Signorini

"CH" wrote in message

1. Don't pump for too long with a Topeak road morph (good for 120psi). I

blew
not only the tube, but the tyre too. Goddamn loud when it popped.

That must have been an old tyre or one with a fault in it. Pressure ratings
on tyres are taken by inflating them to the point they blow the bead off the
rim, usually twice the rated pressure ie. an 80 psi tyre will blow off the
rim at 160 psi

2. Half a turn on SPD pedals turns them from happy but slightly loose to
satanic death pedals of doom (fell over at the lights at 0km/h).

Yes, I guess that's why the adjusters are notched. You will feel 6 notches
for every full revolution I think. Don't turn too many notches at once.

4. Goodies is cool too (is their bike a "trandem"?).

Actually called a triplet. Friends of mine built a quad - 4 seater! But have
a look at this one and take the whole family and dog out for a ride
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/01...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cheers
Peter

Old September 11th 04, 11:42 PM
Ray Peace

Good Morning,
The Goodies' bike is indeed a trandem. You will
find a detailed description if you can find a copy of the book they put
out c. 1973, which is hard to get these days. From my experience of
conventional tandems, I would think the frame would have to be pretty
rigid. it probably got trashed when the series finished, or some mad
collector bought it and stashed it away, I haven't heard one way or the
other
Regards,
Ray.

Old September 12th 04, 01:36 AM
hippy

"CH" wrote
I'm about to leave smelly depressing rainy UK for sunny happy Brisbane.

Ahh.. don't tell me that! I wanna go over there again! :-S

Where were you in the UK?

3. SS is cool, going to do fixed when I get back home.

Indeed! :-)

hippy

Old September 12th 04, 08:04 AM
CH

hippy wrote:
Ahh.. don't tell me that! I wanna go over there again! :-S

Where were you in the UK?

Oxford, which is pretty nice for cycling. Car drivers actually take you
seriously and acknowledge your existence. I also love the green bikelane
things which have a big stopping area in front of where the cars have to stop
at a set of lights. Er, maybe a picture would help:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mans1218/scrap/bikeway-uk.jpg

In London I saw quite a few people riding fixed, one even riding brakeless
with no grip tape. Pretty mad.

-- CH
Old September 12th 04, 03:08 PM
hippy

"CH" wrote in message
hippy wrote:
Where were you in the UK?

Oxford, which is pretty nice for cycling. Car drivers actually take you
seriously and acknowledge your existence. I also love the green bikelane
things which have a big stopping area in front of where the cars have to

stop
at a set of lights. Er, maybe a picture would help:
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~mans1218/scrap/bikeway-uk.jpg

Melbourne has some of these "extended" bike areas at lights.
The lanes aren't green though :-) Munich had red lanes all
over the place for bikes.

In London I saw quite a few people riding fixed, one even riding brakeless
with no grip tape. Pretty mad.

Yeah, I spotted a couple of dudes on brakeless fixes..
I'll stick with brakes thankye!

hippy

Old September 13th 04, 02:47 AM
BEHERE20MONTH

Subject: Blammo, SPDs, SS, and The Goodies.

BEHERE20MONTHS

I'LL BE THERE 20 MONTHS
Old September 13th 04, 06:48 AM
byron27

Ray Peace Wrote:
Good Morning
The Goodies' bike is indeed a trandem.

a tandem fixie no less

i was watching the Goodies DVD the other day and noticed it was fixed.
Truly goodie-goodie yum yum

--
byron27