Numb feet - crap shoes or crap pedals?

Old March 19th 07, 05:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jules

Default Numb feet - crap shoes or crap pedals?

On longer rides, my feet get quite uncomfortable, and sometimes a bit numb.

The pedals are shimano-SPD style MTB ones, and the shoes are probably a
bit on the flexy side.

I notice that road style pedals have a larger contact area, and I wonder
if that would help things a bit?

Not sure whether I should just switch to road pedals, or get some better
shoes and keep using the SPD cleat system.

Cheers,
Jules
Old March 19th 07, 06:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 19, 4:24 pm, Jules wrote:
On longer rides, my feet get quite uncomfortable, and sometimes a bit numb.

The pedals are shimano-SPD style MTB ones, and the shoes are probably a
bit on the flexy side.

I notice that road style pedals have a larger contact area, and I wonder
if that would help things a bit?

I found a significant change in foot comfort on long rides after
ditching the SPDs and using road pedals and stiffer shoes. Much more
comfortable. I've used Shimano R125 and R214's, the 214's are, IMO,
too stiff, but the R125s were lovely shoes.

I was using Lake road shoes with SPD pedals, the SPD-SL's are, IME,
heaps better for road.

Old March 19th 07, 06:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_17_]

Jules Wrote:
On longer rides, my feet get quite uncomfortable, and sometimes a bit
numb.

The pedals are shimano-SPD style MTB ones, and the shoes are probably
bit on the flexy side.

I notice that road style pedals have a larger contact area, and I
wonder
if that would help things a bit?

Not sure whether I should just switch to road pedals, or get some
better
shoes and keep using the SPD cleat system.

Cheers,
Jules

The numbness you experience COULD be related to flexibilty - ie;
tightness through the hamstrings and lower back. I have had similar
issues in the past, and it was pointed out to me that more emphasis on
post-ride stretching will improve flexibility and comfort on the bike.
It did indeed help me, and also saved me from dishing out for new
shoes.

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Old March 19th 07, 06:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:24:22 GMT
Jules wrote:
On longer rides, my feet get quite uncomfortable, and sometimes a bit numb.

Numb or hot? hot-foot is probably a `bent specific thing. I found
that moving the cleats back in the shoe worked, as did wearing sandals
which were more comfortable and didn't squeeze the feet as much.

If the shoes are tight, maybe that's a problem?

MInd you... the sandals also seem to be a tad stiffer in the sole than
the Nike SPD/MTB shoes I had. That probably helped the feet.

Zebee
Old March 19th 07, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 19, 4:04 pm, "Bleve" wrote:
On Mar 19, 4:24 pm, Jules wrote:

On longer rides, my feet get quite uncomfortable, and sometimes a bit numb.

The pedals are shimano-SPD style MTB ones, and the shoes are probably a
bit on the flexy side.

I notice that road style pedals have a larger contact area, and I wonder
if that would help things a bit?

I found a significant change in foot comfort on long rides after
ditching the SPDs and using road pedals and stiffer shoes. Much more
comfortable. I've used Shimano R125 and R214's, the 214's are, IMO,
too stiff, but the R125s were lovely shoes.

I was using Lake road shoes with SPD pedals, the SPD-SL's are, IME,
heaps better for road.

I ditched SPDs for Eggbeaters and no more problems with hot feet -
same shoes.

Donga

Old March 19th 07, 11:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Michael Warner

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 05:24:22 GMT, Jules wrote:

On longer rides, my feet get quite uncomfortable, and sometimes a bit numb.

The pedals are shimano-SPD style MTB ones, and the shoes are probably a
bit on the flexy side.

First ensure that the shoes aren't getting too tight when your feet swell,
which happens when they heat up. If that's not the problem, and you can
feel the location of the cleat and pedal through the sole, then it's too
flexible, and you'd benefit from a stiffer sole and road pedals/cleats.
Many people find SPD with a stiff sole just as good, though.

Old March 19th 07, 11:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_52_]

Jules wrote:
On longer rides, my feet get quite uncomfortable, and sometimes a bit

numb.

Numb or hot? hot-foot is probably a `bent specific thing. I found
that moving the cleats back in the shoe worked, as did wearing sandals
which were more comfortable and didn't squeeze the feet as much.

If the shoes are tight, maybe that's a problem?

MInd you... the sandals also seem to be a tad stiffer in the sole than
the Nike SPD/MTB shoes I had. That probably helped the feet.

Zebee

hot foot is not uncommon on uprights... and it usually is a cleat/pedal
axle position thing, generally moving them back a few mmm at a time to
get correct position of axle under ball of foot works.

shoe flex also has a bearing on numbness and tightness ( either too
small or too tight), remember too, that prescribed walking orthotics
are useless on a bike as you are not using your heal and the
distribution of stiking pressure is not directed by the heel first then
the arch then the ball, but all initiated by the ball of the foot and
the directed to the axle under the ball, thus the sole and structure
and inner foot contour of the shoe has to be able to evenly accept the
forces from your foot and redirect it to the axle. if the shoe
structure cannot do that you will have issues, and better shoes will be
needed and maybe bike specific orthotics required as well.

had all these issues once, then got some full carbon soled shimano TR01
tri shoes ( last of the Shimano wide soled mohicans for my EEE feet)
and then later on moved on to Sidi Genius Carbon HiTech 5.5's and have
superb level of comfort using SPD-SL road pedals...and Campag Pro
Chorus Road pedals... very happy with comibinations of these as takes
my fancy at the time.

--
rooman

Old March 19th 07, 08:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:42:21 +1100
rooman wrote:
hot foot is not uncommon on uprights... and it usually is a cleat/pedal
axle position thing, generally moving them back a few mmm at a time to
get correct position of axle under ball of foot works.

With a bent it seems that you need the axle further back. No idea
why... But I definitely find that axle under ball isn't as good.

Alas I seem to have a foot just a fraction too wide for the next size
down of sandal which would get the cleat further back on my foot. On
long rides I have to unclip and ride that way with the foot forward on
the pedal for a bit which cools the foot down.

The serrated pedal on one side helps a bit with that, but it's not really
grippy enough. I'd love a pedal with a cleat one side and the little
posts some mtb pedals have on the other. Alas no one makes them, just
wimpy serrations.

I have heard of people moving the cleats back further by cutting the
shoe in some way, what's involved?

Zebee

Old March 20th 07, 09:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch[_22_]

rooman Wrote:
hot foot is not uncommon on uprights... and it usually is a cleat/pedal
axle position thing, generally moving them back a few mmm at a time to
get correct position of axle under ball of foot works.

what he said

--
flyingdutch

Crap Bike Just zis Guy, you know? UK 19 May 3rd 05 03:19 PM
crap Tamyka Bell Australia 14 April 7th 05 01:30 PM
aw, crap Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 38 August 17th 04 04:31 PM
How crap are these? Martin Wilson UK 23 July 5th 04 01:09 PM
this AE crap Andy G Australia 24 August 2nd 03 12:39 AM