Perth Freeway Bike Hike

Old March 19th 07, 12:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Default Perth Freeway Bike Hike

The Perth Freeway BikeHike was yesterday.

This is an event where 30km of the freeway
is closed to cars (yay!) and about 6000 cyclists
get to ride that section from Belmont Race Course
to Joondalup. It's a fund raiser for Asthma Foundation.

I've done it three years is a row now and it's a hoot.
It's a straight all out blast on a beautiful smooth
surface. Only thing is the thousands of other riders
of various levels of ability and experience in pack
riding. Packs of several hundred were forming and
there were several accidents. Plenty of riders
arrived at Joondalup with claret oozing from various
scrapes.

There were plenty of scary moments with sudden braking,
swerving and general shouting and craziness. In the
fast bunches (around 45kph) it was difficult to find
a safe spot.

One of the larger pile ups happened right in front
of me. I was off to one side of a large group where
I thought it was a bit safer. About three riders go
down at once and spill across the road. By some
miracle, I manage to brake and swerve around a downed
rider's head and stay up. Not so lucky those behind me.
About 20 riders go down in total.

I was wearing a helmet camera and caught the first
riders going down - very hard to tell how it happened.
Maybe I'll get it up on youtube when I've worked out
how to do it.

Great fun but in retrospect, I count myself lucky that
I arrived in one piece. Next time I'm going to try and
work out a safer way to ride it.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.
Old March 19th 07, 12:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Plodder

"DeF" ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au" wrote in message
[...]

Yep - it's a hoot. I had fun

I think the trick is to treat it as a pootle - 45kmh is just silly in such a
situation. The event is designed as a fun ride that gets ordinary folks out
on the bike.

I didn't have any scary moments, but I did have lots of people shoot past me
at speeds I considered excessive for the situation. I saw quite a few of
them have scary moments - their own silly fault. In the context of the day
I'd say the scary moments are akin to someone driving at 140 on the freeway,
lane swapping and trying to chop through the "slow" traffic. The cause is
excessive speed for the conditions. Who'd be silly enough to ride at race
pace or in bunches with "...thousands of other riders of various levels of
ability and experience in pack riding"?

Being a pretty garrulous sort I chatted to a number of t-shirt and shorts
people along the way and at the village. I was surprised at the amount of
people who expressed that they probably wouldn't join in next year because
they were intimidated by packs of speeding riders. To be fair, a lot of
other people I spoke to didn't care. I didn't care much either. It was a day
for bopping about, weaving around to chat and generally mucking about. If
someone's silly enough to go hell-for-leather with people like me weaving
about it's their lookout.

Not a day for bunches. The racers were off early and out of the way. The
wannabes went next. The rest of the day is for us street-draggers.

All up, a good atmosphere on the road, lots of folks to chat to, lots of
people struggling their hearts out (and determined to finish) and lots of
people out for a leisurely pootle. That's what the day's about...

My take.

Cheers,

Frank

Old March 19th 07, 01:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SteveA[_6_]

DeF Wrote:
[...]

Yep, good fun. I did the short 10km course because I wanted to ride
with the family and the younger daughter is only 11, so under the rules
for the ride she is too young to ride the 30km.

You are right about the varying abilities of the riders.

I ended up in one of the crashes. On the ramp (normally a freeway
on-ramp) at the end of the ride. There was a lot of traffic going up
the incline and the slow riders had slowed right down, forming a moving
chicane.

A group of slightly faster riders was moving through at about 15kmh.
My 11 year old had gone past the slow riders and I was following. A
lad of about 15 or 16 moved out of the slow bunch straight into me.
He was too far forward to just bump shoulders and he put his pedal into
my front spokes.

My bike stopped immediately. I did not stop immediately. I did the
'superman' over the bars. I continued down the bitumen on palms of
hands, nose, chin, chest, knees. At some point in the exercise, I
unclipped from my pedals.

The kid who caused the crash seemed to come off unscathed. He was very
apologetic so I didn't rip into him. I was also more interested in
making sure the bike was OK.

My wife and other daughter were well behind and did not see the crash
but saw me standing up amid crashed bikes. They did not stop as I
looked OK and they decided that stopping would have disrupted other
riders.

However, they did stop and wait at the top of the ramp. We continued
the ride together from there.

Coffee and cake at one of the many cafes that was open in Joondalup on
the day made all the hurties better.

I think my kids were more concerned about the blood on my face and
knees than I was. The green scouring pad in the shower at home cleaned
up the face and knees. Occlusive dressings will make the skin as good
as new. A few ibuprofen made the bruises on my hands, ribs and knees
feel better. My wrists feel very slightly sprained but the ibuprofen
is helping those too.

I am going to a 1 day conference at UWA tomorrow and it will be
attended by the Chief Justice, the Attorney General and assorted dark
suits. I can't shave due to the road rash on the face, the road rash
itself is particularly attractive, and I'm moving fairly gingerly
overall. I wonder what story I should make up to tell them?

Steve(yep, I'm going back next year. Why wouldn't I?)A

--
SteveA

Old March 19th 07, 02:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Mar 19, 11:05 am, DeF ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au"
wrote:
[...]

You want to see the chaos at the 'around the bay in a day'. It's
bloody dangerous mixing fast bunches and tootlers.

Old March 19th 07, 11:02 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Campag_nut

I am going to a 1 day conference at UWA tomorrow and it will be
attended by the Chief Justice, the Attorney General and assorted dark
suits. I can't shave due to the road rash on the face, the road rash
itself is particularly attractive, and I'm moving fairly gingerly
overall. I wonder what story I should make up to tell them?

Steve(yep, I'm going back next year. Why wouldn't I?)A

--
SteveA

Wot? An Attorney General? You have to have a legal system before you get
one of those don't you? g

Sorry about your day. I have a cycling mate out your way so I couldn't
resist.

Cheers.

Old March 19th 07, 01:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Friday

Campag_nut wrote:
I am going to a 1 day conference at UWA tomorrow and it will be
attended by the Chief Justice, the Attorney General and assorted dark
suits. I can't shave due to the road rash on the face, the road rash
itself is particularly attractive, and I'm moving fairly gingerly
overall. I wonder what story I should make up to tell them?

Steve(yep, I'm going back next year. Why wouldn't I?)A

--
SteveA

Wot? An Attorney General? You have to have a legal system before you get
one of those don't you? g

Sorry about your day. I have a cycling mate out your way so I couldn't
resist.

Cheers.

Mention you're a traithlete to Jim McGinty and he says "You're one of
those are you?" in a rather disdainful way. I was once on Jims boat for
a Rottnest swim as a support crew.

Friday
Old March 22nd 07, 01:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

SteveA wrote:

I am going to a 1 day conference at UWA tomorrow and it will be
attended by the Chief Justice, the Attorney General and assorted dark
suits. I can't shave due to the road rash on the face, the road rash
itself is particularly attractive, and I'm moving fairly gingerly
overall. I wonder what story I should make up to tell them?

Tell them you ran into John Kizon at a nightclub.

Theo