James Gould coronors hearing in the age today

Old March 30th 07, 02:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SteveA[_14_]

Default James Gould coronors hearing in the age today

EuanB Wrote:
I don't know. What would be the justification for firing up the lights?
Police can't turn them on for no reason so there would have to be a
legal reason for them to do so.

Flashing lights to warn the populace at large of a hazard. Legal.

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old March 30th 07, 03:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
EuanB[_27_]

SteveA Wrote:
Flashing lights to warn the populace at large of a hazard. Legal.

Really? A bunch of cyclists is a hazard? Better get a lot more cop
cars out on Beach Road every Saturday and Sunday then. I very much
doubt that reasoning would stand up in court.

--
EuanB

Old March 30th 07, 03:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_94_]

Bean Long Wrote:

Is there a Vic Police cycling squad?? :-)

For operational stuff Victoria Police have had bicycle patrols for
ages. Like many workplaces they also have social clubs etc, such as
Team Homicide cycling, although I really don't know much other than
that. For events like the Police and Fire Games you'd think there would
be organised teams or bunch rides for training/competitive purposes.
Anyone know more?

--
cfsmtb

Old March 30th 07, 03:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gravelmuncher[_24_]

SteveA Wrote:
Flashing lights to warn the populace at large of a hazard. Legal.

SteveA

Ahh - Did I miss something ? Wasn't there an operational RED LIGHT in
operation warning the BUNCH of a hazard ??

If red light's can't stop car's and bike's, then how han we expect "the
populace at large" to stop for car's and bike's ??

gm

--
gravelmuncher

Old March 30th 07, 05:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

cfsmtb wrote:
Bean Long Wrote:
Is there a Vic Police cycling squad?? :-)

For operational stuff Victoria Police have had bicycle patrols for
ages. Like many workplaces they also have social clubs etc, such as
Team Homicide cycling, although I really don't know much other than
that. For events like the Police and Fire Games you'd think there would
be organised teams or bunch rides for training/competitive purposes.
Anyone know more?

Team Homicide... I'd love to see their jerseys... or perhaps not?!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old March 30th 07, 05:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
kudeta[_3_]

cfsmtb Wrote:
For operational stuff Victoria Police have had bicycle patrols for ages.
Like many workplaces they also have social clubs etc, such as Team
Homicide cycling, although I really don't know much other than that.
For events like the Police and Fire Games you'd think there would be
organised teams or bunch rides for training/competitive purposes.
Anyone know more?

Re the Police and Fire Games, the policeman I know that competes,
trains on his own ie not in a Police Team, He does many of the morning
North Road Rides and also the Hell Ride, but does so in a law abiding
way. He has mentioned about becoming a bicycle cop but it isnt really
the best job in the force.

--
kudeta

Old March 30th 07, 06:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Mar 30, 2:46 pm, kudeta kudeta.2o8...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:

Re the Police and Fire Games, the policeman I know that competes,
trains on his own ie not in a Police Team, He does many of the morning
North Road Rides and also the Hell Ride, but does so in a law abiding
way. He has mentioned about becoming a bicycle cop but it isnt really
the best job in the force.

That would seem like a pity. I understand it's an excellent way to do
suburban policing (heck, I myself caught a crim only because I was
able to follow him on a bike and guide the police to him). I wonder if
BV and BFA are working with the police force to promote police
cycling?

Donga