Are slick high pressure tyres available?

Old April 25th 07, 03:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Are slick high pressure tyres available?

Are slick high pressure ,
I commute about 30km every day on an MTB running on Specialized slick
tires
pumped up to at least 100psi and find it a breeze. I do avoid riding
on wet
roads with the slicks, though. The experience is made a lot easier by
bar
extensions which provide a greater range of riding positions.

Old April 25th 07, 08:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
SomeGuy[_41_]

One small further comment. the absence of tread makes no difference to
your wet weather grip on a pushbike, except to say that you might
actually have less on a treaded tyre.

Perhaps, but the Maxxis Xeniths I have are very average in the wet.
Fast and quite puncture resistant, but I have to be a bit more careful
in the wet than on the road bike or when using other tyres on the MTB.
They are 1.5" and go up to 80psi. For some more discussion on MTB
slicks have a read of http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=289625

One thing to keep in mind is that the smaller your tyre, the lower your
effective gearing is. So with a 1.0" slick you'll run out of high gears
very easily. Even with the 1.5s I found the standard MTB gearing
limiting on a long distance (100km) ride. Around town I run it as a SS
with 44x17.

--
SomeGuy

Old April 26th 07, 05:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 25, 12:14 pm, wrote:
Are slick high pressure ,
I commute about 30km every day on an MTB running on Specialized slick
tires
pumped up to at least 100psi and find it a breeze. I do avoid riding
on wet
roads with the slicks, though. The experience is made a lot easier by
bar
extensions which provide a greater range of riding positions.

Troll alert. Note no history.

Donga

Old April 26th 07, 12:23 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F[_3_]

SomeGuy wrote:
One small further comment. the absence of tread makes no difference to
your wet weather grip on a pushbike, except to say that you might
actually have less on a treaded tyre.

Perhaps, but the Maxxis Xeniths I have are very average in the wet.
Fast and quite puncture resistant, but I have to be a bit more careful
in the wet than on the road bike or when using other tyres on the MTB.
They are 1.5" and go up to 80psi. For some more discussion on MTB
slicks have a read of http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=289625

One thing to keep in mind is that the smaller your tyre, the lower your
effective gearing is. So with a 1.0" slick you'll run out of high gears
very easily. Even with the 1.5s I found the standard MTB gearing
limiting on a long distance (100km) ride. Around town I run it as a SS
with 44x17.

I just fitted some of those "innova" (appears to be more or less the
same as Tioga) 1.25in ones which go up to 100psi - will see how they go
in the icy/wet conditions we're bound to have soon in canberra....

--
//Adam F