Entry Level Racer - Giant OCR3 or Specialized Allez or None

Old April 26th 07, 12:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bradley

Default Entry Level Racer - Giant OCR3 or Specialized Allez or None

Help me decide. I visited two bike shops today looking for an entry
level racer. Cycle Obsession have in stock a Giant OCR3 2007 for $995
RRP. Lifecycle offered a Specialized Allez Double 2007 on special at
the moment for $1025 ($1199 RRP).

I'm leaning towards the Specialized as you would think that at 17% off
it should be better value. Negative is that I have never heard of this
brand and they can't spell. It has carbon fibre forks and seat post,
the brochure mentions carbon fibre "legs"?. Rear derailleur is Shimano
Tiagra short cage (which I understand is one step up from the Sora).
Front derailleur and levers are Shimano Sora. Gearing is 2 x 8 speed.

The second option is a Giant OCR3 2007. Looking at the specs on the
Giant Website it has carbon fibre fork and seat post, and according to
the website a carbon fibre frame. F&R derailleurs and levers are
Tiagra. Gearing is 3 x 9 speed. I could be leaning towards the Giant ...

More Background:
I am competing in the BRW corporate series triathlon this Sunday (Gold
Coast). I checked my old clunker the other day and found it had four
broken rear spokes, needs a new rear tyre, and new rear derailleur
cable, not to mention a general birthday.

Now I could spend $100 and a good few hours to get it going but I
thought I may be better off working some overtime instead and put the
money towards a new bike. I considered a flat bar road bike but I think
I would be happier with an entry level racer. At the moment the only
riding I do is commute to work (5.5 km) on my Kmart mountain bike which
I will continue to do. I would like to do cycling and swimming to add
to my running, this could mean social weekend group rides, 60 km round
trip weekly to visit relatives, and probably some time on a trainer in
front of the TV.

Regards.
Old April 26th 07, 11:05 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Apr 26, 9:57 pm, Bradley wrote:
[...]

Which one fits better and feels better on the road?
Testride them both (and a few others around your price range). Real
testrides, at least 15-20 minutes, not rolling around the inside of
a shop.

Old April 26th 07, 11:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-26, Bleve (aka Bruce)
On Apr 26, 9:57 pm, Bradley wrote:
The second option is a Giant OCR3 2007. Looking at the specs on the
Giant Website it has carbon fibre fork and seat post, and according to
the website a carbon fibre frame. F&R derailleurs and levers are
Tiagra. Gearing is 3 x 9 speed. I could be leaning towards the Giant ...

Which one fits better and feels better on the road?
Testride them both (and a few others around your price range). Real
testrides, at least 15-20 minutes, not rolling around the inside of
a shop.

And if they do only allow you to ride around the inside of the shop,
aim for their domino, um, bike display and ... KAPOW!

Sorry, did I say that?

P.S. Those specs for the giant sounded a little sus. These are what
Giant tells me:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/...road/76/22222/

--
TimC
Being certified means I can legally be employed as a chain-sawyer. That means
Old April 26th 07, 11:46 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-04-26, Bradley wrote:
[...]

Sora leavers are horibal, you can't shift properly when in the drops.
Tiagra is a *huge* step up frow Sora (i.e. its not designed to be
sewi-functional)

I know a lot of poeple who like their Giant OCRs a lot...

Cheers

Joel

--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
www.humanpowered.com.au | Bicycle re-use centre
Old April 27th 07, 12:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

On 2007-04-26, Bleve (aka Bruce)
On Apr 26, 9:57 pm, Bradley wrote:
The second option is a Giant OCR3 2007. Looking at the specs on the
Giant Website it has carbon fibre fork and seat post, and according to
the website a carbon fibre frame. F&R derailleurs and levers are

P.S. Those specs for the giant sounded a little sus. These are what
Giant tells me:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-AU/...road/76/22222/

I wouldn't have thought an OCR3 would have a full carbon frame. As Tim
has pointed out via the link, this is a standard ALUXX alloy frame. I
don't think you get much more carbon on a Giant until you get into the
TCR Composite series??? Nonetheless, an OCR3 would be a good entry
level road bike. If it fits well and feels comfortable then go for it.

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Entry level road racers Brian UK 9 June 2nd 06 12:42 PM
FS: Entry level mountain bikes. [email protected] Marketplace 0 August 21st 05 05:46 PM
Entry Level Bike? musashi Mountain Biking 7 August 12th 04 02:42 AM
Devinci Silverstone vs Giant OSR1 vs Specialized Allez Elite Craig Newell Techniques 3 August 17th 03 03:43 AM
Entry Level Bikes vwyob UK 8 August 13th 03 08:39 PM