Weird Noise

Old April 26th 07, 02:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

Default Weird Noise

Got a strange creaking noise coming from somewhere but I can't quite
pinpoint exactly where. It only happens under a medium load with both hands
on the handlebar. It's in time with my pedal stroke (both sides) but if I
increase power or take one or both hands off the bars it vanishes
immediately.
At first I thought it was the adjustable stem but after a re-grease the
problem persists. It seems to be coming further forward than the bottom
bracket and I'll give it an overhaul next anyway (fingers crossed that kills
it) but I'm concerned it might be something more serious like a crack in the
frame or somewhere down inside the stem. There's nothing obvious I find from
a visual inspection and I can't *feel* the noise in my hands or feet to
pinpoint the source. I can only hear it (loud enough to hear above the ipod
and traffic).
Any suggestions?

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old April 26th 07, 02:57 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

OzCableguy wrote:

[...]

suspension seat post?
Old April 26th 07, 03:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"Peter" wrote in message
. com.au...
Any suggestions?

suspension seat post?

Possibililty... I tried jumping up & down on it and it's not making noise
that way but I've had to grease it up a couple of times in the past so I'll
check it.

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old April 26th 07, 03:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
rooman[_85_]

OzCableguy Wrote:
[...]

'www.ozcableguy.com' (http://www.ozcableguy.com/)
'www.oztechnologies.com' (http://www.oztechnologies.com)

did you also remove the handle bar attachment plate from the stem and
regrease the attaching bolts and threads- this ( and sometimes, stem on
steerer) is my usual "creak" after a few ,000 klms on the roadie,
especially after a lot of climbing.

--
rooman

Old April 26th 07, 09:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Fractal

"rooman" wrote in message

OzCableguy Wrote:
[...]

Should you give the handle bar and attachment clamp a real good clean with
a solvent too, for better contact?

What is the general opinion of adjustable stems? Mine creaks a lot and is
pretty heavy compared to a standard stem, but couldnt find a high rise stem
to suit. Is there a custom made stem place in Sydney/Aus?

fb

Old April 26th 07, 10:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Joel Mayes

On 2007-04-26, Fractal wrote:

"rooman" wrote in message

Should you give the handle bar and attachment clamp a real good clean with
a solvent too, for better contact?

I wouldn't, having a thin layer of grease allows for better contact then
dry metal. seems odd but it's true! The grease allow a tighter fit before
the pieces bind.

What is the general opinion of adjustable stems? Mine creaks a lot and is
pretty heavy compared to a standard stem, but couldnt find a high rise stem
to suit. Is there a custom made stem place in Sydney/Aus?

I've never met one that doesn't do this. IMHO they're horrible things.
If your SBS stocks nitto gear ask for the Nitto Technomic stem they
come with an approx 10" stem (I'm you've assuming a 1" threaded fork
here of course)

Cheers

Joel
--
Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing
www.humanpowered.com.au | Bicycle re-use centre
Old April 26th 07, 11:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Apr 26, 11:44 am, "OzCableguy"
wrote:
[...]

Creaks often come from the hub quick release. My LBS owner says people
come in thinking all sorts of disastrous frame cracks etc and they
always check this first. Take it off, grease the axle, put it back
firmly. Both wheels, of course.

Donga

Old April 26th 07, 01:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"Donga" wrote in message
oups.com...
Creaks often come from the hub quick release. My LBS owner says people
come in thinking all sorts of disastrous frame cracks etc and they
always check this first. Take it off, grease the axle, put it back
firmly. Both wheels, of course.

You could be on the money here Donga. I found while rolling along, standing
up & laying the bike over on its side was generating some very weird sounds
as well. I gave everything a thorough degrease and hose down ready for
disassembly and went for a quick ride while still wet and the noise was
gone. I also recall a variation if the same noise happening the last time I
was towing the trailer with the hitch on the quick release so it may very
well be the axle/s.
Fingers crossed...

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Old April 27th 07, 12:10 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

OzCableguy wrote:
"Donga" wrote
Creaks often come from the hub quick release. My LBS owner says
people come in thinking all sorts of disastrous frame cracks etc and
they always check this first. Take it off, grease the axle, put it
back firmly. Both wheels, of course.

You could be on the money here Donga. I found while rolling along,
standing up & laying the bike over on its side was generating some
very weird sounds as well. I gave everything a thorough degrease and
hose down ready for disassembly and went for a quick ride while still
wet and the noise was gone. I also recall a variation if the same
noise happening the last time I was towing the trailer with the hitch
on the quick release so it may very well be the axle/s.
Fingers crossed...

I think you need to grease your knees.

Theo

Old April 28th 07, 08:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
OzCableguy

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
I think you need to grease your knees.

True... But actually it turned out to be the seat clamp. The noise was
echoing through the frame making it difficult to pinpoint while riding but I
got the bugger at last!

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Weird P*nct*re Bronzie UK 2 January 27th 07 08:59 PM
weird kid, weird coach habbywall Unicycling 2 August 1st 05 12:19 PM
weird noise mfrobert Unicycling 1 January 2nd 05 05:48 PM
weird small change Mountain Biking 16 November 5th 04 04:11 PM