Four-wheel drive hits Canberra cyclists

Old May 1st 07, 12:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Default Four-wheel drive hits Canberra cyclists

jcjordan wrote:
They were coming down into the Cotter river which is quite
fast with a couple of tight turns and there was a small clip of the
wheels and unfortunately as they all went down a 4x4 came around the
corner.

From what I know it was not far west of the Stromlo Observatory
entrance, just as the road starts the first decline, well before the
steep section and hairpin. Not exactly a difficult part of the course.
However, it was stage 3 and a big bunch and everyone was getting a bit
tired I'd say. We were 5 mins ahead and our grade had exactly the same
course as Women's B for the entire tour. At about the same spot as the
accident happened I recall being quite worn out and thinking to myself
"better keep my mind on the job or I'm going to run up someone's ar$e".
The accident had happened so early in the stage that riders probably
weren't even in a good rhythm yet.

Unfortunately no updates on the rider who hit the 4WD, but we are
certainly all thinking of her.

On the upside, the tour was fantastic and very well organised. Many
thanks to Peter Gough and all his minions who did a fantastic job
handling 630+ riders. The tour was desperately short of marshals just
last week and many volunteers stepped up to the plate to help out. It
was good to have the opportunity to thank them as we went around the
course... something quite easy to do when you've been dropped by the
bunch! For the racing, it was a pity there was so much rain, but we
desperately needed it and I didn't notice how freakin' wet I was after
the first 3 k's!

Photos on the CCC website for those who are interested. Points to those
who can spot me in the Tuggeranong Vikings gear #368!

http://www.canberracyclingclub.org.a...r%2029-4-2007/

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
Old May 1st 07, 03:07 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Aeek

On Tue, 01 May 2007 09:38:10 +1000, Bean Long
wrote:

From what I know it was not far west of the Stromlo Observatory
entrance, just as the road starts the first decline, well before the
steep section and hairpin. Not exactly a difficult part of the course.
However, it was stage 3 and a big bunch and everyone was getting a bit
tired I'd say. We were 5 mins ahead and our grade had exactly the same
course as Women's B for the entire tour. At about the same spot as the
accident happened I recall being quite worn out and thinking to myself
"better keep my mind on the job or I'm going to run up someone's ar$e".
The accident had happened so early in the stage that riders probably
weren't even in a good rhythm yet.

RiotACT has a reasonable account on this amongst the dross
http://the-riotact.com/?p=4797