Snazzy bike path lights along Gardiner's Creek Trail

Old May 3rd 07, 01:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Paul Yates

Default Snazzy bike path lights along Gardiner's Creek Trail

While riding home tonight I came across a detour (yes another one) on the
Gardiner's Creek Trail in Glen Iris. Not having a big 'you are here' sign
on the map, and not knowing the area, other than the bike path, I rode
continued on my merry, like a whole bunch of other cyclists. The path has
little LED? lights along the edges. Looks like you are riding on a runway.
Very good for knowing where the path goes and better than sticking street
light along the path and adding to the rampant light pollution this city
(Melbourne) has.

Anyone else think there were just as many cyclists out and about at peak
hour as there are on a dry day?

Paulus
ATX 840 (today at least)

Old May 3rd 07, 10:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch[_36_]

they are solar-powered self-contained lil' units.

Vicorads and some councils have been trialling 'em for a while.

i have a couple sitting on my desk. if you whack 'em in the dark they
automatically light up. nifty. (not cheap tho...)

not bad for a scenario like that...

--
flyingdutch

Old May 5th 07, 12:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dancier[_8_]

I went through there last night and thought they were interesting. I had
the spot lights on so they didn't help me much but looking back along
the track it looked pretty snazzy.

--
Dancier

Old May 5th 07, 06:44 AM posted to aus.bicycle
treadly&me[_13_]

Yeah, I had a bit of an "ooh, wow!" moment there last night. I happened
to have a camera on board, so I stopped and 'took a few shots'
(http://tinyurl.com/2dcogp).

--
treadly&me

Old May 5th 07, 07:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Peter

treadly&amp wrote:

Yeah, I had a bit of an "ooh, wow!" moment there last night. I happened
to have a camera on board, so I stopped and 'took a few shots'
(http://tinyurl.com/2dcogp).

I suppose the next thing would be to check whether they remain in place
for long or are stolen by people wanting the photovoltaics.

Old May 5th 07, 09:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On May 5, 4:06 pm, (Peter) wrote:
treadly&amp wrote:
Yeah, I had a bit of an "ooh, wow!" moment there last night. I happened
to have a camera on board, so I stopped and 'took a few shots'
(http://tinyurl.com/2dcogp).

I suppose the next thing would be to check whether they remain in place
for long or are stolen by people wanting the photovoltaics.

The guy driving the tractor/slasher in Anzac Park, Brisbane seems to
be pretty good at shattering them.

Donga

Old May 5th 07, 11:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
treadly&me[_14_]

Peter Wrote:
I suppose the next thing would be to check whether they remain in place
for long or are stolen by people wanting the photovoltaics.

They'd take a bit of digging out, but I suppose someone would. When I
first heard about this and I thought they'd be mounted on the surface,
I just assumed someone would be down there to collect them with a
spade...

--
treadly&me

Old May 6th 07, 12:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch[_38_]

treadly&me Wrote:
Yeah, I had a bit of an "ooh, wow!" moment there last night. I happened
to have a camera on board, so I stopped and 'took a few shots'
(http://tinyurl.com/2dcogp).

The new bits have been done by BoroondaraCC, with more to follow.

The lights are the first thing Stonnie have done on the GC path for
years....

--
flyingdutch

Old May 6th 07, 05:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
treadly&me[_15_]

flyingdutch Wrote:
The new bits have been done by BoroondaraCC, with more to follow.

Oh bugger, that's -really- embarrassing! I stand well-and-truly
corrected--my error is acknowledged and corrected. You are *The
Source*, dutchy.

Mind you, I'm really glad to learn that--it was shaking my world view
to think that Stonnington was doing something significant to improve
the state of the trail (pretty night lights notwithstanding).

flyingdutch Wrote:
The lights are the first thing Stonnie have done on the GC path for
years....

Ain't that the truth.

--
treadly&me

Trail-a-Bike lights Gags Australia 2 June 5th 06 12:55 PM
Looking for Route Update - Iron Horse Trail/I90 from Seattle to Spokane then Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes bike path in northern Idaho [email protected] Rides 1 December 26th 05 05:14 PM
Interesting thing on the (Melb, Vic) Merri Creek path in the bigpaper wed magazine fred_kneeman Australia 1 November 24th 04 09:06 PM
RR: Paint Creek Trail Roger Buchanan Mountain Biking 1 September 7th 04 03:03 PM