So why so many dead tubes?

Old May 9th 07, 02:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

Default So why so many dead tubes?

On Wed, 09 May 2007 05:55:32 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Get out of the saddle when you go over bumps :-)

More seriously, it sounds like some fine wire or similar in the tyre.
Might not show up on inspection, but it's enough to push through the tube
slowly. Try rotating the tyre on the rim and see if the holes move.

Or just replace the tyre.

--
Dave Hughes |
'Behold ye angels, I have created the arse. Throughout
Old May 9th 07, 09:39 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on 9 May 2007 06:09:34 -0700
Bleve wrote:
On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

As mentioned, there'll be something very small, probably.

Turf the tyre. It'll save you angst and time.

I think you are right. Marathon here I come!

Zebee
Old May 9th 07, 11:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Duncan

On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee

Rotate the tyre around the rim.. see if the next flat follows the
rotation.

Old May 10th 07, 12:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
AndrewJ

On May 10, 8:54 am, Duncan wrote:
On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee

Rotate the tyre around the rim.. see if the next flat follows the
rotation.

Sounds like a wire to me. Maybe so small that you actually can't see
it. You
need to rub around there with your fingers. I've had this, and it is
almost impossible
to find by sight.

How it gets through the tyre is really a mystery to me.

Old May 10th 07, 12:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bean Long

Duncan wrote:
On May 9, 3:55 pm, Zebee Johnstone wrote:
I am having a rash of flat tyres.

4 in a row, all in about the same place - that is just near the valve
but not on the same side as the valve - indicates it isn't the tube or
the rim, it has to be me. I suppose it might be the tyre, but I can't
find anything wrong with it in that area. I'm getting paranoid
though, might be time for that Marathon I've been promising myself.

Small teeny holes, can only find them using water. They show up 3-6
days after the tube is changed.

What can cause that when a tube is put in? What am I doing wrong?

Zebee

Rotate the tyre around the rim.. see if the next flat follows the
rotation.

Or preferably get rid of the tyre rather than hoping to get a flat at
another spot on the tube!

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 03:37 AM
A.R.B.R. ain't dead yet?????? [email protected] Recumbent Biking 329 March 5th 05 01:33 AM
Gluing tubes to tubes Ted Techniques 12 January 31st 05 10:43 PM
I would be dead but for my... JohnB UK 5 June 6th 04 08:54 PM