Does Sydney have a chance?

Old May 27th 07, 04:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
K.A. Moylan

Default Does Sydney have a chance?

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:16:01 +1000, TimC wrote:

My public transport plan all along was to pave the country in an
infinite number of conveyor belts.

I think that was Asimov, but it could have been Heinlein. I'm fairly sure
it wasn't Clarke.

'The Roads Must Roll', by Robert A. Heinlein.

--
K.A. Moylan
Canberra, Australia
Old May 27th 07, 06:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Resound[_2_]

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 May 2007 18:16:01 +1000, TimC wrote:

My public transport plan all along was to pave the country in an
infinite number of conveyor belts.

I think that was Asimov, but it could have been Heinlein. I'm fairly sure
it wasn't Clarke.

Dammit, I'm going to have to reread an awful lot of my books at this rate.

--
Dave Hughes |
"Until we understand quantum gravity, we're not going to be

Asimov, Foundation series.

Old May 27th 07, 06:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Sun, 27 May 2007 13:47:29 +1000, K.A. Moylan wrote:

'The Roads Must Roll', by Robert A. Heinlein.

Ah. Thank you. I knew I'd read it somewhere, and a quick look around
confirms what I vaguely recalled of the plot.

Bad luck Tim, I think this means there's prior art.

--
Dave Hughes |
The family that chooses words with care together is the family that
Old May 27th 07, 08:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle
dewatf

On 21 May 2007 23:22:09 GMT, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

The proposal was to ban parking on the mainish suburban roads in the
hilly areas, the ones that carry a lot of traffic because they were
the "good" roads in horse drawn days - thus suitable for cyclists.

They were the best routes to cross the ridges and gullys that much of much
of Sydney's geography. They just built roads on the best routes for horses,
cycles, trams, walking and cars.

Those form the skeleton of Sydney. Most of the growth of Sydney then
occured with the post-WWII immigration and baby was based around suburbs
laid out for cars and commuting to the CBD. The major alternative was a
Victorian designed rail system. The trams on those roads were replaced with
buses (which fit in with car traffic better).

The equation is tens of thousands of drivers, thousands of public transport
users and a hundred or so cyclists trying to travel on those routes.

I think banning parking is a good idea though.

Those aterial roads, being the major roads, were also the roads where all
the shops were built to catch passing trade. Take away the parking and the
shops all go bust. Look at what happened to Parramatta Rd and Oxford St
when parking restrictions and meters were introduced. Without parking on
King St after 7pm all the restaurants go.

What you end up with then is all the shops and restaurants moving to
regional shopping centres where they are the mercy of Westfield as monoploy
landlord. Then everybody has to drive to them and park.

dewatf.
Old May 28th 07, 12:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

TimC wrote:

My public transport plan all along was to pave the country in an
infinite number of conveyor belts. The one adjacent to the line
joining your source to your destination is going very slowly, and then
one next to it is going infinitesimally faster, etc. You just step on
the conveyor belt, take as many steps to the right on each
progressively faster conveyor belt until you get to the midpoint of
your trip, then start stepping back.

Sounds like from Isaac Asimov's Caves of Steel.

When you reach the stationary conveyor belt and step off,

A stationary conveyer?

Theo

Everyone need to give me a chance Froid Racing 1 August 2nd 06 01:59 AM
Fat chance Lisa Mountain Biking 5 September 26th 05 07:28 PM
doping and what -- no third chance? Jim Flom Racing 14 August 11th 04 04:51 PM
Your Chance to HELP Cyclists! Mark UK 22 May 5th 04 10:34 AM
Looking for a Fat Chance JC Mountain Biking 10 January 18th 04 05:25 PM